1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Forest
Last Activity:
Jan 14, 2024
Bookmarks:
Birthday:
Jun 12, 1973 (Age: 50)
Home Page:
Economics Instructor

Share This Page

Forest

Beloved Grand Eagle, Male, 50, from Boston, MA

“Baseball is 90 per cent mental. The other half is physical.” -- Yogi Berra Jul 12, 2017

Forest was last seen:
Jan 14, 2024
  • My Story

Some Favorite Threads and Posts
    I encourage everyone to make a list like the one above, to share the threads that you find most helpful. To see how, click here.

My story

As you can read, below, I had my own 18 year struggle with TMS. It played a huge role in my young adulthood and I think that no one should have to live with TMS pain. Therefore, as I was recovering, I decided to found a wiki about TMS where people could share their experiences as peers. That was 6 years ago, and I am now the president of The PPD/TMS Peer Network, the 501(c)(3) nonprofit that runs this website. I have also presented at the TMS conferences in Ann Arbor, Los Angeles, and New York, as well as the TMS Master Class in New York.

What I have learned the most from are are my own experiences (see below) and what I have read on this forum. I do put a lot of effort in behind the scenes, though. To help people understand where my time goes, I put together a todo list a couple years back.

Feel free to hit me up on Facebook or LinkedIn.

My experience with TMS

I've done videos of my success story and a relapse I had. There is also a video of a presentation of my story that I gave at a conference. The following is the writeup that I did when I first started posting, 5 years ago:

TMS first started affecting me when I was a teenager. I was a bit of computer hacker, typing away on my Mac plus, when my forearms began to hurt. I visited a doctor about it, and was told that I had tendonitis from too much typing. I was sent to occupational therapy and told that I needed to be careful about typing too much.

Unfortunately, despite my best efforts, the "tendonitis" only got worse. As time progressed, the amount that I could type or mouse before my symptoms started to flare up got smaller and smaller until, five years in, I couldn't type more than a couple sentences without some sort of flare up. Worse, the "RSI," as I now called it, began spreading into my neck and back. I became very limited in the amount of time that I could spend sitting in certain chairs, looking down at papers on a desk, or even writing.

Eventually, I graduated college. Holding any sort of job was a challenge, but I still had to support myself, so it felt like a struggle to survive. The pain levels always got worse when I did certain activities, and I had been trained to believe that if I didn't stop doing those activities the pain level would keep getting worse until it was excruciating. Experience had taught me that the worse I let it get, the more rest it would take to "heal."

My hands were so sensitive that I would develop writers cramp after writing even a very small amount of text. I tried using voice recognition software many times (I own 5 versions of Dragon NaturallySpeaking), but whenever I did, my throat started to hurt. That terrified me because I didn't want to have to drastically limit my speaking the way I felt I had to drastically limit my computer use and handwriting. If that happened, how could I hold a job?

That was the way that my life was for over 10 years. I chose my jobs based on what I felt would give me the best chance of healing. I avoided dating because I felt like I needed to focus on getting some financial security. When I did date, I refused to get married because I felt like it was all that I could do to keep myself employed without worsening my RSI, so I knew that I couldn't be a good father or husband.

I had come across mind-body ideas years ago, mostly from Paul Marxhausen's postings on the Sorehand mailing list. However, they felt to far-fetched to me at the time, so they didn't help me. What finally convinced me was stumbling across and reading a bunch of TMS success stories last December that were written by people whose experiences were extremely similar to my own. That convinced me to push my boundaries a little. Doing so went terrifically, which helped me believe the ideas more. Eventually, the whole process snowballed, and now I don't limit my day to day activities at all and am enjoying athletic activities that I had avoided for a long time. I still have occasional flareups, but they don't bother me, even though I am doing far more than before. I just ignore the symptoms, and feel like I have my life back.

Almost immediately after recovering, I started thinking about starting a wiki, because I wanted to share what I had learned with other people who were still sick. Since it was reading other people's success stories that cured me, the first thing that I decided to work on was the Success Stories by Symptoms & Diagnoses page. I want everyone to be able to find a list of success stories by people "just like them," as well as information about their specific diagnosis or symptoms.

I also always thought of the wiki as being part of my healing plan. I had had recoveries like this before, but had always relapsed. The immense investment that I have made in the nonprofit has forced me to commit to mind-body ideas. I'm very proud of what I've done on the wiki, and helping people through it is slowly becoming part of my identity. I'm an extremely private person, but I just told my first work friend about it, and have finally mustered the guts to put my success story up. After all of this, how could I possibly not commit to this approach?

[​IMG]
    1. MWsunin12
      MWsunin12
      Forest, I'd like to delete my account. This has been a great community and service for many. I appreciate it. I can't find info on how to delete an account. Do you have a link, or do you need to do it? Wishing you all the best and great healing for the lives you have touched and helped. Peace.
    2. TG957
      TG957
      Hi, Forest,

Trying to get into the chat room but getting error.
      1. JanAtheCPA
        JanAtheCPA
        I think (in fact I'm sure) that the timer to open the Chat room is still on Standard time - so I will be there to moderate today at 4pm Eastern, and I'm sure Forest will fix it by next week (as he received a couple of urgent messages from me at the top of the hour :^D )
        Mar 19, 2016
        Forest likes this.
      2. Forest
        Forest
        Hi Jan, that is exactly it. Thanks for reaching out and being so on top of things. I fixed it and just made the room available, so you can drop by whenever you are ready. I'll moderate until then.
        Mar 19, 2016
    3. Tassie Devil
      Tassie Devil
      Your wiki has helped myself and several of my friends to be informed about this condition. No TMS doctors or Therapists are in our state of Australia, so we are very very grateful for what you did Forest. God bless.
      1. giantsfan and Forest like this.
      2. Forest
        Forest
        Awww, thanks, Tassie Devil! I'm glad that you find the site helpful.
        Mar 11, 2016
    4. Kelley
      Kelley
      Thank you so much for sharing your story, including how the symptoms affected your work and personal life. I am finally experiencing consistent and significant healing for the first time in decades using this approach. I also enjoyed the forum and the article you pointed me to there very much. Very grateful you have this site going and wishing you continued wellbeing. Kelle
      1. Ellen and Forest like this.
      2. Forest
        Forest
        Hi Kelley, I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better and that my story helped. Welcome to the site!
        Feb 5, 2016
        Kelley likes this.
    5. Forest
      Forest
      Had a great time at this week's Saturday chat. Thanks to @JanAtheCPA for moderating and @MatthewNJ for organizing! See you next week!
      1. Simplicity likes this.
    6. jimmylaw9
      jimmylaw9
      delighted you have done and appreciate the effort thank u so much i am trying to recover and this helps a lot. I now have read Mr Sarnos divided mind and almost instantly recovererd 80% just working on last 20
    7. Anna A
      Anna A
      I have had RSI for 8 years and getting worse with time. For last 2 years my doctor has been telling me to quit computers. And just when I thought I would try teaching it affected my speech by turning into TMJ / Trigeminal Neuralgia. I have been in a limbo for last 4 months feeling severely impaired and restricted. But after reading the first 2 books I am typing this without much pain. Thank you so much.
      1. Forest likes this.
      2. Forest
        Forest
        Hi Anna, that is great to hear. I hope you find the site to be very helpful. Thanks for sharing your story.
        Jul 31, 2015
    8. determined07
      determined07
      Thank you so so much i have searched for 10 years and have finally found some relief. You are so appreciated.
      1. Forest and IrishSceptic like this.
      2. Forest
        Forest
        I'm so glad to hear that. How have things been going since your original post? Usually there are some ups and downs on the way to eventual healing.
        Jul 31, 2015
    9. tammyg
      tammyg
      Thank you Forest! This website has already helped me so much. Very grateful for all your efforts here.
      1. Forest and IrishSceptic like this.
      2. Forest
        Forest
        Hi TammyG, I'm so glad to hear that the site has helped. Best of luck in your recovery.
        Jun 11, 2015
    10. didi sharp
      didi sharp
      This website is really, really helpful. Thank you for putting so.much effort into it.
      1. IrishSceptic likes this.
      2. Forest
        Forest
        I remember the pain and the fear, so it is truly my pleasure to do what I can.
        May 21, 2015
    11. Forest
      Forest
      TMS healing is all about changing how you respond to the symptoms.
      1. 575 likes this.
      2. Forest
        Forest
        You need to overcome your fear and achieve an equanimity where you don't even care if the pain is there. Once you do that, the pain can't distract you and has no purpose.
        May 17, 2015
    12. Forest
      Forest
      Right now I am making a video about how to update your status.
      1. Forest
    13. patrickelvin
      patrickelvin
      Inspiring story I will spread the news arornd SPAIN where I live and like the idea that you founded TMS wiki for you therapy ,as well as others
      I am just starting on the journey but have nothing else but inspiration from this site
      1. Forest and PamD like this.
    14. greenman7205
      greenman7205
      It's really awesome you (and everyone else involved here) created such a great resource for everyone. I can't wait to reap the benefits. Thank you
      1. Forest likes this.
      2. Forest
        Forest
        Mar 11, 2015
    15. Lindahope
      Lindahope
      Thank you, Forest. I have been listening to them and do find them very helpful.
      1. Forest likes this.
      2. Forest
        Forest
        Mar 6, 2015
    16. Lindahope
      Lindahope
      Hi Forest. I'm fairly new here. I didn't know where else to ask you this. Is there going to be another call in discussion group? thank you, Linda T
      1. Forest
        Forest
        Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there will be. It never grew like I had hoped it would and when I announced that I had to step back no one stepped up. It takes a substantial amount of planning and organization. After taking some time to think about it, I realized that my schedule is tight enough that something had to go. The archives are still available, though, and some people say that they are very helpful.
        Mar 6, 2015
    17. Forest
      Forest
      73 inches/185 cm of snow in my hometown of Boston in the last 30 days. Amazing!
    18. North Star
      North Star
      Forest, had to stop by and read your story again…thank you for all you do and the encouragement that you bring. I'm in the midst of another nasty flare so your words are life to me. :)
      1. Forest
        Forest
        I'm glad you found it helpful. It's hard to believe I wrote it five years ago! It's always great to hear from you.
        Jan 19, 2015
    19. lorrie
      lorrie
      Thank you, Forest. This had been a HUGE help to me. Such lovely people!
      1. Forest likes this.
      2. Forest
        Forest
        Aren't they an amazing group? I'm so happy to hear that you found it helpful.
        Jan 15, 2015
    20. Bill 1964
      Bill 1964
      Hi Forest,
      I am new to this wiki / web site. I am amazed how much great information it provides. I appreciate having the ability to learn so much from other people that are suffering (or had suffered) from TMS. Thank you so much for all of your time and energy to make this resource possible!
      1. Forest likes this.
      2. Forest
        Forest
        Thanks for the kind words, Bill! I hope you find the site helpful!
        Dec 1, 2014
  • My Story

Birthday:
    Jun 12, 1973 (Age: 50)
    Home Page:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/
    Economics Instructor
    Diagnoses:
    Repetitive Strain Injuries (RSI), Tendonitis, Tendonosis, Tenosynovitis, Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, Myofascial Pain Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disorder (GERD), Patellofemoral syndrome, Plantar Fascitis, Anxiety, and Major Depression
    Some Favorite Threads and Posts
    I encourage everyone to make a list like the one above, to share the threads that you find most helpful. To see how, click here.

My story

As you can read, below, I had my own 18 year struggle with TMS. It played a huge role in my young adulthood and I think that no one should have to live with TMS pain. Therefore, as I was recovering, I decided to found a wiki about TMS where people could share their experiences as peers. That was 6 years ago, and I am now the president of The PPD/TMS Peer Network, the 501(c)(3) nonprofit that runs this website. I have also presented at the TMS conferences in Ann Arbor, Los Angeles, and New York, as well as the TMS Master Class in New York.

What I have learned the most from are are my own experiences (see below) and what I have read on this forum. I do put a lot of effort in behind the scenes, though. To help people understand where my time goes, I put together a todo list a couple years back.

Feel free to hit me up on Facebook or LinkedIn.

My experience with TMS

I've done videos of my success story and a relapse I had. There is also a video of a presentation of my story that I gave at a conference. The following is the writeup that I did when I first started posting, 5 years ago:

TMS first started affecting me when I was a teenager. I was a bit of computer hacker, typing away on my Mac plus, when my forearms began to hurt. I visited a doctor about it, and was told that I had tendonitis from too much typing. I was sent to occupational therapy and told that I needed to be careful about typing too much.

Unfortunately, despite my best efforts, the "tendonitis" only got worse. As time progressed, the amount that I could type or mouse before my symptoms started to flare up got smaller and smaller until, five years in, I couldn't type more than a couple sentences without some sort of flare up. Worse, the "RSI," as I now called it, began spreading into my neck and back. I became very limited in the amount of time that I could spend sitting in certain chairs, looking down at papers on a desk, or even writing.

Eventually, I graduated college. Holding any sort of job was a challenge, but I still had to support myself, so it felt like a struggle to survive. The pain levels always got worse when I did certain activities, and I had been trained to believe that if I didn't stop doing those activities the pain level would keep getting worse until it was excruciating. Experience had taught me that the worse I let it get, the more rest it would take to "heal."

My hands were so sensitive that I would develop writers cramp after writing even a very small amount of text. I tried using voice recognition software many times (I own 5 versions of Dragon NaturallySpeaking), but whenever I did, my throat started to hurt. That terrified me because I didn't want to have to drastically limit my speaking the way I felt I had to drastically limit my computer use and handwriting. If that happened, how could I hold a job?

That was the way that my life was for over 10 years. I chose my jobs based on what I felt would give me the best chance of healing. I avoided dating because I felt like I needed to focus on getting some financial security. When I did date, I refused to get married because I felt like it was all that I could do to keep myself employed without worsening my RSI, so I knew that I couldn't be a good father or husband.

I had come across mind-body ideas years ago, mostly from Paul Marxhausen's postings on the Sorehand mailing list. However, they felt to far-fetched to me at the time, so they didn't help me. What finally convinced me was stumbling across and reading a bunch of TMS success stories last December that were written by people whose experiences were extremely similar to my own. That convinced me to push my boundaries a little. Doing so went terrifically, which helped me believe the ideas more. Eventually, the whole process snowballed, and now I don't limit my day to day activities at all and am enjoying athletic activities that I had avoided for a long time. I still have occasional flareups, but they don't bother me, even though I am doing far more than before. I just ignore the symptoms, and feel like I have my life back.

Almost immediately after recovering, I started thinking about starting a wiki, because I wanted to share what I had learned with other people who were still sick. Since it was reading other people's success stories that cured me, the first thing that I decided to work on was the Success Stories by Symptoms & Diagnoses page. I want everyone to be able to find a list of success stories by people "just like them," as well as information about their specific diagnosis or symptoms.

I also always thought of the wiki as being part of my healing plan. I had had recoveries like this before, but had always relapsed. The immense investment that I have made in the nonprofit has forced me to commit to mind-body ideas. I'm very proud of what I've done on the wiki, and helping people through it is slowly becoming part of my identity. I'm an extremely private person, but I just told my first work friend about it, and have finally mustered the guts to put my success story up. After all of this, how could I possibly not commit to this approach?

[​IMG]

Interact

Content:
    Facebook:
    forestfortrees
    Twitter:
    PPDTMSWiki

Signature

Use our search engine to browse 10,000 pages about TMS! Try it out: search.tmswiki.org