1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Forest's relapse

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by dabatross, Apr 20, 2012.

1. dabatross

dabatross Well known member

Hey Forest,

Are you planning on posting your relapse video still? I think everybody on the board would like to hear what you have to say on the subject of relapse me included. Maybe you have some advice on what to do on those days where the pain gets worse and your mind starts backtracking to old thought patterns about physical instead of psychological.

thanks

Alex

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey, Alex, sorry for the long delay. I'm really excited to hear that you are looking forward to the next installment! Unfortunately I've got so many balls in the air that I'm about 2 weeks behind on most projects, but I will push it forward and try to record it soon.

When I do, I'd love to post it in this thread. Do you mind if I rename the thread when I do?

3. dabatross

no problem at all forest i appreciate you posting your video you can rename the thread to whatever you'd like. i think it could be really helpful to see how you overcame your relapse i think it could relate to a lot of us on how to get out of bad days when we feel like we're stuck. i feel the same way im juggling a lot of projects right now too i just appreciate you posting it on here.

thanks

alex

wendyd likes this.
  4. Forest

Ugh. I have to fess up that I have been completely overwhelmed recently. I try to drop in on the forum to provide support, but making a video tends to be a bigger deal. I still definitely plan to make it, but I know I won't have time until at least the 16th. I saw your post today elsewhere on the forum and just wanted to keep you updated...

5. dabatross

thats no problem Forest i appreciate you coming on here and letting us know. still looking forward to seeing the video this month hopefully that overwhelmed feeling goes away

6. Hilary

Hilary New Member

Any news on this video? I had great success with the TMS Educational program last Spring and summer into the fall but now I find that the pain has moved into a different place in my back and would welcome seeing anything that would help. I have been reading what others have written and it is helpful but I need as much info as possible…. Thanks.

7. Forest

Hi Hilary, you've beat it once, so you can definitely beat it again. Between dabatross's patient reminders and your new one, I figured that maybe now was just the time to record it, so I tried to knock it out in one take:

I gave myself plenty of time because I think that the people who watch my videos appreciate depth. I repeated myself near the middle, but I think that that may be unavoidable with a non-scripted video done in one take. I'd love feedback that I can use on future videos.

By the way, Hilary, I haven't seen much of a relationship between healing time for original case and healing time for relapse, so do your best to clear your mind of any expectations regarding how long it will take. I think I was just lucky. Some people expect the relapse to go faster than the original case, and that actually slows some people down because of calendar watching.

Misha, donavanf and Ellen like this.
  8. Hilary

Hilary New Member

Thanks so much for doing this. So much of what you said - the Pavlovian responses, the need to recognize the different parts of our brain - rang true. I do believe in working above the TMS symptoms and not letting the pain take over my life (even though I get these zings of pain saying"Hey, I'm here, kiddo, don't think you are getting rid of me that easily!") I thought the video was effective because it was so unscripted and was very natural - like you were sitting talking to me (or whoever watches it). Very comfortable. Thanks again.

9. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

This was just great, Forest. Very encouraging, especially since I'm coming off several days of a pretty severe flare up. For me, I've had a pile up of situations….good friends getting divorced, some relationship challenges, minor surgery for one of my kids, and….probably most significantly…I feel like I had a bit of a breakthrough psychologically. Oh, and then there was the time listening to a gold medalist TMS'er go on about their aches, pains and placebos. (She wasn't open to hearing about TMS either.) GAH!bangheada

Onward and upward!

THANK YOU!!!

Forest likes this.
  10. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Thanks Forest! Just what I needed!

I'm new here on the forum, but my tms is in an "on the run" stage. I hope to post my story soon, as I have had success. Presently having a day of chasing my tms around my mindbody because of new stress. Thanks again!

Laudisco and Forest like this.
  11. Misha

Misha Peer Supporter

Hi Forest,

I found your video really interesting and was just wondering if you felt there was any significance to the placement of your pain or was the scapula just a random placement by the TMS? Something I find so strange is the way everyone has such different manifestations of TMS. My first thought was 'stabbed in the back' due to the location of your relapse or do you think we try too hard to make too much of the relocation of our pain? (Mine is pelvic pain and I suppose I often wonder 'why this pain' and not the more 'garden variety' back pain etc.).

Would love to hear your thoughts,
    Sara :)

12. Renee

Renee Well known member

Yes, I have this question as well Sara. Why oh why of all places did my unconscious mind pick the pelvic area! I'm not saying back pain or any other pain isn't horrible, but having problems in the pelvic area feels like an attack on your very soul.