thecomputer
Well known member
Hi everyone
So its been a year and a half since my throat/voice pain and tension problem came out of nowhere, and life has changed a lot. I am doing much better overall, but I know there is some way to go.
I am just noticing how many times a day I think about my pain and tell others about it (usually as a way of excusing myself from an activity or conversation). If I was to meet someone new and they asked what I do, it would be very hard for me to exclude the pain as in a way it has become a huge part of my daily life, and also stopped me from doing so many other things that there isnt always much to talk about in more chit chatty superficial conversations.
I am going away soon, to spend time living and working at a community where I have already spent a year and a half before. Everyone there is incredibly understanding and supportive, as its a recovery community. But this also means you can end up indulging in expressing your woes, unlike in the 'real world' where often we have to hide them for other peoples sake and due to our own insecurities.
I was considering trying something.... to inform all the people I know well, close friends at the community and relatives back home that I do not want to talk about my pain anymore. I would not be updating them on how I am doing in regards to pain, and they would not ask about if my pain was better or worse. Of course they can ask how I am, but I will not relate it back to pain.
Somewhere deep down I have a feeling this could be the final step in recovery, to just let it go and stop identifying with being a person with a chronic pain problem. I know it's been talked about in manyt of the books, and I especially remember Steve O talking about it.
My fear is that I will end up in many situations that cause me a lot of pain and have no easy way to get the rest I need. Often just a short conversation can leave my throat feeling like its going to close up, and I can take days to recover. If I can just say 'My throats really bad I have to stop talking' then I can go and lie down and rest. I have become very good at doing that now!! I was thinking if I decide to stop talking about it altogether, maybe I could just say 'I'm not feeling so great and need some rest', although I wonder if just doing this is basically the same thing to my subconscious!! Almost like a code word for throat pain....still it might be better
What do people think? Has anyone tried this? In a way it seems simple, but also incredibly difficult, and it feels to me like getting rid of a huge safety net, which ultimately might be a good thing
Love to hear peoples thoughts
Thanks
So its been a year and a half since my throat/voice pain and tension problem came out of nowhere, and life has changed a lot. I am doing much better overall, but I know there is some way to go.
I am just noticing how many times a day I think about my pain and tell others about it (usually as a way of excusing myself from an activity or conversation). If I was to meet someone new and they asked what I do, it would be very hard for me to exclude the pain as in a way it has become a huge part of my daily life, and also stopped me from doing so many other things that there isnt always much to talk about in more chit chatty superficial conversations.
I am going away soon, to spend time living and working at a community where I have already spent a year and a half before. Everyone there is incredibly understanding and supportive, as its a recovery community. But this also means you can end up indulging in expressing your woes, unlike in the 'real world' where often we have to hide them for other peoples sake and due to our own insecurities.
I was considering trying something.... to inform all the people I know well, close friends at the community and relatives back home that I do not want to talk about my pain anymore. I would not be updating them on how I am doing in regards to pain, and they would not ask about if my pain was better or worse. Of course they can ask how I am, but I will not relate it back to pain.
Somewhere deep down I have a feeling this could be the final step in recovery, to just let it go and stop identifying with being a person with a chronic pain problem. I know it's been talked about in manyt of the books, and I especially remember Steve O talking about it.
My fear is that I will end up in many situations that cause me a lot of pain and have no easy way to get the rest I need. Often just a short conversation can leave my throat feeling like its going to close up, and I can take days to recover. If I can just say 'My throats really bad I have to stop talking' then I can go and lie down and rest. I have become very good at doing that now!! I was thinking if I decide to stop talking about it altogether, maybe I could just say 'I'm not feeling so great and need some rest', although I wonder if just doing this is basically the same thing to my subconscious!! Almost like a code word for throat pain....still it might be better
What do people think? Has anyone tried this? In a way it seems simple, but also incredibly difficult, and it feels to me like getting rid of a huge safety net, which ultimately might be a good thing
Love to hear peoples thoughts
Thanks