1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Two years, no improvement

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by James59, Apr 10, 2015.

1. James59

James59 Well known member

I first learned about TMS and found this forum almost two years ago. I've tried the various approaches to it, at least the ones that felt appropriate for me. Unfortunately, I've only experienced some temporary marginal (maybe 5-10%) relief. I know what's going on, I have plenty of evidence that my muscle rigidity and pain are mentally caused, but it persists.

I had an interesting experience a couple months ago. I told my brain we both wanted the same thing, freedom, especially freedom from fear. As I said that I felt a huge wave of resistance! It felt like trying to put the + ends of two magnets together. The result was a repulsive force, not a connection. Since then I've felt pretty discouraged, and angry, that I can't get my subconscious mind in accord with my conscious needs.

Right now I'm about 2/3rds through my 5th TMS book Think Away Your Pain but so far I haven't encountered any fresh ideas. Any thoughts or suggestions?

IrishSceptic likes this.
  2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Time to talk with a TMS therapist in person, by phone or skype.

David88, Ellen and Lizzy like this.
  3. David88

David88 Well known member

That's actually very good news. You had a very important insight in recognizing your resistance.

It's no shame that you've gotten stuck. Bravo for recognizing it! Nobody can overcome their unconscious resistance on their own every time. That's what therapists are for. You are in a very good place right now, and a good TMS therapist will be able to help you get unstuck.

Ellen likes this.
  4. alexandra

alexandra Peer Supporter

It's been 3 years for me, I was 99 percent cured from pain by the end of last summer and many times before that, I have it in back, both legs, and arms. Nerve and muscle pain. I improved by ignoring it, keeping very active and reading everyday, books and this forum. FEAR always gets me back into a flare up, or very stressful situations like a resent bad sinus infection i had while trying to take care of my child who had a stomack flu, her dad was in hospital with the flu lol it was bad. Anyways let's not give up! I will contact a tms therapist via skype. And resently began doing the unlearn your pain workbook. Symptoms got worse after committing to the workbook! I notice I am so much better during sunny days here in beautiful Vancouver! Anyone else notice less symptoms during happier times or sunny days?

5. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi James,

I agree with David88, that this is a remarkable observation. Everyone finds their own way in the TMS stuff. Rejecting yourself for your (uncontrollable) resistance seems like it causes more stress for you. I wonder what kind of practice or support you have had for your feelings, your emotions, your self-compassion? If you list what you have done, folks will be able to make better suggestions, perhaps, to 'freshen' your ideas!

Andy B.

6. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi James,
    Sorry to hear that you feel you haven't made progress. TMS recovery can be a long and rocky road for many of us.

I think I know what you mean about the "wave of resistance". I feel that sometimes as I'm faced with a choice between my old way of being, thinking, doing and a new way. I find it helpful to view it as a neurological experience, where my mind has a choice between the old, comfortable neural pathways or the new neural pathway I've been working on establishing. It is easier for my mind to fall into that old pattern, and takes more effort to take the new pathway, so resistance seems like a natural part of change. Sometimes I can overcome the resistance and sometimes it doesn't happen. It's part of the learning process.

Best wishes...

Colly, Mala and James59 like this.
  7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Sunny days like today definitely make me and most people happier.
    It's funny, though. I also like rainy days, just not too many of them in a row.

I've learned to enjoy every day, or at least try to. If I get down, I laugh it off.

And I keep busy, sunny, rain or shine. Distractions help us to forget we're in pain.
    One of my favorite distractions is watching Youtube videos. It's like a general education.
    I type in pain relieving subjects and learn a lot. Or history or nature. Or even old movies.
    Especially funny ones. I am a great believer in laughing as a great healer.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  8. lexylucy

lexylucy Well known member

HI James. I would keep in mind that not everyone learns in the same way. There are so many ways that people can connect and find healing. I would try listening to a book or a lecture to awaken your auditory cues. Or your visual senses by watching videos of success stories. Some people are are kinesthetic in that they need to have someone with them like belonging to a support group or seeing a therapist. I find I need to connect with a great many people who can offer many opinions and ideas.

My own story is that I read Healing Back Pain about 5 years ago and it had no affect on me. I did not feel a connection. Four years later I started seeing an Internal Family Systems therapist and discovered that I could hear and see an image of the part of me that was causing pain on purpose to be heard and listened to. That there was a part of my psyche who believed I couldn't handle being in touch with my heart. And my emotions.

This led to a rediscovery of the techniques of the Mindbody Prescription. Also helping me are: Gabor Mate, Peiter Levine, Lousie Hay, Caroline Myss, and Michael Brown.

James59 likes this.
  9. James59

Thank you for your replies so far. Still digesting them.

Walt, I'm on the California coast, and right now we rejoice every day it rains! I lived my teenage years in Oregon where it rains a lot. I love rainy days, even at the beach.

I have a difficult time trusting others to help me. I spent beaucoup bucks and wasted a good deal of time on many well-intentioned, caring professionals who either did nothing or made things worse. My present inclination is to trust only my own instincts.

Yesterday I read a simple statement somewhere on this forum (can't find it today) which said "It was never about the body." That simple statement clicked for me somehow, and today I feel a bit better than I have for several weeks. A glimmer of hope.

lexylucy likes this.
  10. Tennis Tom

California
    Los Angeles area
    Susan Basset, MSW, LCSW (Therapist)
    18319 Linnet
    Tarzana, CA 91356
    (818) 345-0260

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Will BaumWill Baum, LCSW
    (Therapist)
    Will Baum is a psychotherapist in the Los Angeles area. He has written a number of articles for PsychologyToday.com, the Huffington Post, and Where the Client Is. He is cross trained in psychodynamic talk therapy, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). Will Baum's practice is focused on anxiety/depression, relationships, chronic pain, and addiction recovery. He has experience working with an "extremely wide range of clients and concerns." (Source)

Recent Change of Address
    4448 Ambrose Ave.
    Los Angeles, CA 90027
    (323) 610-0112
    will@willbaum.com
    TMS Wiki Profile / Website
    Main Wiki Page about Will Baum
    Will Baum has written several TMS related articles for Where the Client Is. Information about them can be found on the TMS in the Media page.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Arnold BlochArnold Bloch, LCSW
    (Therapist)
    Arnold Bloch, LCSW has been in practice for over 25 years, during which time he has seen over 200 clients with TMS. He holds a master's degree in social work from the University of Southern California, and studied under long-time TMS therapist, Don Dubin, MFT. Bloch has a close working relationship with David Schechter, MD (Source) who himself has seen over 1000 patients with TMS. He has dedicated himself to "the alleviation of chronic pain, especially when that pain can not be satisfactorily explained by conventional medical examination." He believes in the power people have in "freeing themselves from the suffering brought about by a negatively conditioned mind," and he seeks to help people develop the skills to choose the mind and body states they desire to have.

Bloch has been very active in the TMS community. He has attended TMS conferences and stays up-to-date on the latest mind-body research and treatment techniques. In the fall of 2012, Bloch participated in a TMS webinar, alongside Dr. Schechter. (Source)

Available via Phone and Skype
    1280 Willsbrook Ct
    Westlake Village, CA 91361
    (805) 796-9540
    arnold@arnoldbloch.com
    Survey Response / Website
    TMS Webinar with Dr. Schechter and Arnold Bloch

Alex Bloom, MSW (Therapist)
    Alex Bloom is a psychotherapist at the Pain Psychology Center in Los Angeles, CA headed by Alan Gordon, LCSW. His approach to therapy focuses on a psychodynamic, cognitive-behavioral model as well as other techniques (Source)

Alex is also one of the answering therapists for the Ask a TMS Therapist program.

Available via Skype
    9777 Wilshire Blvd.
    Suite 1007
    Beverly Hills, CA 90212
    (310) 853-2049
    Contact Form
    Forum Profile
    Ask a TMS Therapist Responses

Samantha Bothast, LCSW (Therapist)
    Samantha Bothast is a psychotherapist at the Pain Psychology Center in Los Angeles, CA headed by Alan Gordon, LCSW. Samantha uses both a cognitive behavioral and psychodynamic approach in her sessions. Samantha worked as a medical social worker for 19 years prior to working at the Pain Psychology Center. (Source)

Available via Skype
    9777 Wilshire Blvd.
    Suite 1007
    Beverly Hills, CA 90212
    (310) 853-2049
    Contact Form

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lani ChinLani Chin, PsyD
    (Therapist)
    Dr. Lani Chin is a clinical psychologist based in Los Angeles. She attended the clinical training for the treatment of mindbody disorders held in Los Angeles in 2013.

1328 Westwood Blvd. Unit 9
    Los Angeles, CA 90024
    310-344-5550
    Website
    Survey Response
    Insurance Accepted: MHN, Magellan, out of network provider for all other plans

Donald Dubin, MS, MFCC
    (Deceased)
    Don Dubin was a committed and loved TMS therapist who worked with David Schechter for many years.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Susan FarberSusan Farber, MA, MFT
    (Therapist)
    Susan is a Marriage Family Therapist in private practice. She has both a Bachelor's and Master's in psychology. She says "Often my work encompasses a mind/body perspective. I believe that many physical ailments have an emotional component to them and everyone's body is a wealth of often underutilized information. I teach my clients to use their body as a barometer in order to gain valuable insight into denied emotions and issues. In taking responsibility and ownership of their physical selves, a sense of empowerment emerges enabling my clients to move forward toward making positive life changes." (Source 1) (Source 2)

22 West Micheltorena Street, Suite B
    Santa Barbara, CA 93101
    and
    240 East Highway 246, Ste 210
    Buellton, CA 93427
    (805) 886-5538
    farbermft@yahoo.com
    Website / Survey Response / Article-Managing Chronic Pain So That it Doesn't Manage You

Alan Gordon, LCSW (Therapist)
    Alan Gordon is a psychotherapist in private practice in Santa Monica who specializes in the treatment of chronic pain using the the TMS approach. He is a co-founder and the Executive Director of the Pain Psychology Center, a TMS treatment center in Los Angeles. He is also a board member of the Psychophysiologic Disorders Association (PPDA). He was the primary organizer (chair) of the 2nd annual TMS Conference held in LA in March 2010, where he gave a presentation entitled “Cognitive-Behavioral Approaches in the Treatment of Mind-Body Disorders.” His efforts were a key factor in making the conference a success. Alan also co-organized and presented at the 2013 clinical training in Los Angeles with Howard Schubiner, MD in partnership with the PPDA.

Alan developed a free multimedia TMS Recovery Program, which he donated to the TMS Wiki in 2013. He has also written an article called “Miracles of Mindbody Medicine” for the Healthcare Counseling and Psychotherapy Journal.

Alan is also one of the answering therapists for the Ask a TMS Therapist program.

(Source1, Source2, Source3, Source4)

Available via Skype
    1247 7th St., Suite 300
    Santa Monica, CA 90401
    (310) 945-6811
    and
    9777 Wilshire Blvd. #1007
    Beverly Hills, CA 90212
    (310) 945-6811
    Contact Form
    Forum Profile / Personal Website / Pain Psychology Center
    Main Wiki Page About Alan Gordon

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Michelle GottliebMichelle Gottlieb, PsyD, MFT
    (Therapist)
    Dr. Gottlieb is honored to work with those that struggle with chronic pain. As an EMDR certified therapist, she has many tools to help you process through your TMS symptoms. She is also very experienced with anxiety, depression, couples and trauma therapy. Dr. Gottlieb is an adjunct professor at Cal State Fullerton teaching graduate students how to be effective therapists.(Source) 305 N. Harbor Blvd., Suite 202
    Fullerton, CA 92831
    (714) 879-5868
    drmichelle@michellegottlieb.com
    TMS Wiki User Profile / Who's Who Page
    User Page (includes an article written by Gottlieb on EMDR)
    Website

Helene Green, LCSW (Therapist)
    18319 Linnet
    Tarzana, CA 91356
    (818) 996-5296

Phillip Green, PhD (Therapist)
    19710 Ventura Blvd. Suite 203
    Woodland Hills, CA 91364
    (818) 999-9663

Karen Kay, PsyD, PhD (Therapist)
    Karen Kay is a licensed clinical psychologist with psychoanalytic training, and has a private practice in West Los Angeles. She has worked with TMS patients throughout her 25+ year career, and has been supervised by Arlene Feinblatt, Ph.D. (the psychologist who developed the psychotherapeutic approach to TMS in collaboration with John Sarno, M.D.) as well as Eric Sherman, Psy.D., and Frances Sommer Anderson, Ph.D. She has been an approved supervisor by the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy since 1991. She says, "I have had great success in helping people who struggle with mind-body difficulties. In addition, I have specialty training in working with children, adults, and families."

1800 Fairburn Avenue
    Suite 109
    Los Angeles, CA 90025
    (310) 446-0500
    TMS Wiki Profile
    Survey Response
    Website

Suzi Kimbell, MA, LMFT (Therapist)
    Suzi Kimbell is a psychotherapist with training in somatic, body-centered psychotherapy, EMDR, mindfulness-based stress reduction, and trauma and PTSD treatment from a mind-body perspective. She attended the clinical training in Los Angeles in November 2013. Suzi also suffered from chronic back pain, which she overcame using the TMS approach. She writes, "My own recovery from TMS led to my passion for helping those with chronic pain, whose symptoms are so often misunderstood by the traditional medical community. I know first hand how powerful Dr Sarno’s ideas are and that recovery from pain is truly possible." (Source)

860 Via De La Paz, Suite F6
    Pacific Palisades, CA 90272
    (310) 463 7598
    Insurance Accepted: All PPO insurances (Suzi Kimball is an out of network provider)
    Survey Response

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Catherine LockwoodCatherine Lockwood, MA, MFT
    (Therapist)
    Catherine Lockwood is an experienced Intensive Short Term Dynamic Psychotherapy (ISTDP)psychotherapist based in Los Angeles, California. She has studied under many notable ISTDP instructors and continues to attend workshops and seminars on ISTDP. She also attended the 2013 Clinical Training for the Treatment of Mind-Body Disorders in Los Angeles. There, she observed how Howard Schubiner, MD andAlan Gordon, LCSW, the presenters of the training, are utilizing ISTDP in their approaches to treating TMS. Catherine writes, "I am passionate and dedicated to continuing to improve my skills in ISTDP, TMS and trauma treatment." (Source)

Available via Video
    179 Barrington Place, Suite B
    Brentwood Village
    Los Angeles, CA 900049
    (310) 488-5292
    CatherineLockwoodMFT@GMail.com

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Daniel G. LymanDaniel G. Lyman, MSW
    (Therapist)
    Daniel G. Lyman is a psychotherapist at the Pain Psychology Center in Los Angeles, CA headed by Alan Gordon, LCSW. He earned a master's degree in Social Work and in Public Administration from the University of Southern California and specializes in the treatment of mindbody pain syndromes. In describing his treatment approach, he writes, “My goal in therapy is to provide a safe place to challenge our current beliefs and behaviors regarding our pain (TMS). The process is two-fold: The first part is changing the nature of our relationship to our symptoms, and the second part is discovering why the symptoms are there in the first place. These concurrent paths help to decrease the symptoms in the present as well as discourage the symptoms from recurring in the future.” Daniel also specializes in working with the LGBT population, including couples and family issues. (Source)

Daniel is one of the participating psychotherapists in the Ask A TMS Therapist program. Read his responses here.

Contributed article: 10 Days of Silence: Meditation, Pain, & How You Can Become the Most Emotionally Healthy Person You Know, by Daniel G. Lyman (Part I), (Part II).

Available via Phone and Video
    (617) 470-6043
    DanielGLyman@gmail.com
    Survey Response / Forum Profile
    Ask A TMS Therapist Responses

Gillian Marcus, LMFT (Therapist)
    Gillian Marcus is a clinical therapist with a private practice in West Los Angeles specialized in TMS. She attended the Los Angeles conference When Stress Causes Pain for TMS practitioners in November 2013. Gillian also has a personal history of TMS, and used a combination techniques including psycho-education, therapy, meditation and other self-help techniques to help relieve her TMS symptoms. (Source)

Available via Phone
    2001 South Barrington Avenue
    Los Angeles, CA 90025
    (310) 288-3536
    Survey Response

Brooke Mathews, LCSW (Therapist)
    Brooke Mathews is an experienced psychodynamic therapist based in Southern California. A former board member of thePsychophysiologic Disorders Association (PPDA), Brooke earned her master's degree in social work from the University of Southern California, and is a licensed clinical social worker (LCSW) in the state of California. She writes, “I have devoted a great deal of my practice to working with and advocating for patients who can't seem to find anything medically or physically wrong...My approach is to treat the whole person, whether you come in with pain and are subsequently depressed, or your pain is a result of your anxiety, I work with patients to address the source of the problem and resolve the issues with pain.” Brooke also has a personal connection to TMS, suffering fro chronic migraines in the past. (Source)

Recent Change of Address
    3331 Ocean Park #101
    Santa Monica, CA 90405
    (917) 692-4085
    bmathewslcsw@gmail.com
    Survey Response

Susan Mendenhall, PsyD (Therapist)
    10436 Santa Monica Blvd, Suite 3050
    Los Angeles, CA 90025
    (310) 558-8091

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Andrew MillerAndrew Miller, LMFT
    (Therapist)
    Andrew Miller is a licensed Marriage Family Therapist (LMFT) and a TMS/PPD sufferer. He has over a decade of experience with TMS as both a patient and as a clinician. As a clinician, he received his Masters of Arts in Clinical Psychology at Antioch University in Los Angeles. Incorporating psychodynamic, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), mindfulness and psychodramatic techniques, he has helped his clients reduce TMS/PPD symptoms, more masterfully deal with difficult emotions, and more skillfully cope with life’s adversity. Currently, Andrew works in private practice and runs groups at treatment centers across Los Angeles.

Recent Change in Address
    566 S. San Vicente Blvd.
    Suite 203
    Los Angeles CA 90048
    and
    1314 Westwood Blvd.
    Suite 201
    Los Angeles, CA 90024
    (310) 776-5102
    Website
    Survey Response
    Forum Profile / Introductory Thread / Success Story

Amber Murphy, MSW (Therapist)
    Amber Murphy is a psychotherapist at the Pain Psychology Center in Los Angeles, CA headed by Alan Gordon, LCSW. Her therapeutic approach is a combination of psychodynamic, cognitive-behavioral and trauma-informed approaches as well as mindfulness practices. Amber also suffered from and overcame TMS symptoms herself, which she successfully overcame. (Source)

Available via Skype
    9777 Wilshire Blvd.
    Suite 1007
    Beverly Hills, CA 90212
    (310) 853-2049
    Contact Form

Jessica Oifer, MFT (Therapist)
    Jessica Oifer is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist based in Los Angeles, California. She has worked with David Schechter, MD and in 2013 she attended the Clinical Training for the treatment of mind-body disorders in Los Angeles, CA. Jessica is also trained in the Trauma Resiliency Model, an approach that helps restores balance to the body after traumatic stress. On her general treatment approach, Jessica writes, “My process often includes non-judgmental exploration of my clients’ past and present experiences, as well as the development of concrete skills to reduce the physical and emotional symptoms that traumatic stress can have on the body and nervous system.” (Source)

4640 Admiralty Way
    Suite 318
    Marina del Ray, CA 90292
    and
    15300 Ventura Boulevard
    Suite 328
    Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
    (818) 538-9548
    jessicaoifermft@gmail.com

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Colleen PerryColleen Perry, MFT
    (Therapist)
    Colleen Perry is a licensed marriage and family therapist practicing in the Los Angeles area. She focuses on eating disorders and body image issues, along with helping people with chronic pain. She says "In individual therapy we explore the direct link of the unconscious mind to the manifestation of pain in the body. Traditional forms of pain treatment such as physical therapy, pain medications, anti-inflammatory medications and injections, surgery, acupuncture, chiropractic care, or massage, do not address the underlying emotional issues that are causing the pain in the first place. All that these other forms of pain management can give you are temporary relief...The most immediate relief for clients upon receiving the TMS diagnosis is that there is nothing structurally wrong with their body and are therefore encouraged to go about their daily activities of life without giving into the pain."

Available via Video
    1247 Seventh St. Suite 300
    Santa Monica 90401
    (310) 259-8970
    drselfish@yahoo.com
    Website
    TMS Wiki Profile
    Main Wiki Page on Colleen Perry
    Curriculum Vitae

Katja Pohl, PsyD (Therapist)
    Dr. Pohl is a clinical health psychologist with both master and doctorate level education in health psychology and additional training in pain, chronic illness, and other health-related issues (source). Dr. Pohl also has developed a specialty in trauma and health psychology (source). She writes, "It takes a great deal of courage to ask for help. It requires facing one’s problems head on and it can stir up feelings of shame and vulnerability. You may experience difficulty with trusting someone to accompany you on this journey; but also trusting that positive change is possible. It is important to find someone you can connect with to start your healing and growth. In my work with clients, I strive to create a safe and compassionate environment" (source).

2730 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 600
    Santa Monica, CA 90403
    (310) 709-4582
    Insurance Accepted: All PPO insurances (Dr. Pohl is an out of network provider)

Arlen Ring, PhD (Therapist)
    Arlen is a licensed psychologist in California. He has a doctorate in psychology. He says "I had been focusing on the mind body connection for a long time before I got exposed to Dr. Sarno. His thinking filled in important gaps for me. I have now spent several years specifically extending his diagnostic formulations into effective treatment for those people whose pain is caused by or worsened by emotions that have gotten directed into physical pain. I consider physical therapy, anti-inflammatory or pain deadening drugs and surgery to all have potential value. However, If you are not satisfied with the limitations of those approaches and believe that your pain has a significant emotional component, I can work with you on healing it." (Source)

1923 1/2 Westwood Blvd, Suite 2
    Los Angeles, CA 90025
    and
    20501 Ventura Blvd, Suite 395
    Woodland Hills, CA 91364
    Website
    (818) 999-0581
    Arlen@ArlenRing.com

Derek Sapico, MFT (Therapist)
    Derek Sapico is a psychotherapist based in Los Angeles, CA. He is on the board of the Psychophysiologic Disorders Association (PPDA). Derek was also the lead therapist at the California Headache and Pain Center for five years and has authored protocol on the treatment of pain for a number of organizations. (Source)

Derek is also one of the answering therapists for the Ask a TMS Therapist program.

Available via Skype
    9777 Wilshire Blvd.
    Suite 1007
    Beverly Hills, CA 90212
    (310) 853-2049
    Contact Form
    Forum Profile

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    David SchechterDavid Schechter, MD
    (Physician)
    David Schechter is a Clinical Associate Professor in the Department of Family Medicine of the University of Southern California in Los Angeles. Dr. Schechter has over twenty five years of experience with the Tension Myositis Syndrome (TMS) diagnosis, has treated over a thousand patients has published original research on the subject and is the author of The Mindbody Workbook. While a medical student at NYU, he was a successful patient of Dr. Sarno. Dr. Schechter was a speaker at the 2nd Annual TMS Conference in March 2010. His presentation was entitled "Clinical Evaluation of Patients with Mind-Body Disorders." (Source)

Available via Internet Video
    8500 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 705
    Beverly Hills, CA 90211
    (310) 657-1022
    310-six nine four-9814 fax
    and
    10811 Washington Blvd, Suite 250
    Culver City, CA 90232
    310-836-2225 (310-836-BACK)
    310-six nine four-9814 fax
    frontofficedrs@gmail.com
    TMS Wiki Profile / Survey Response / Q&A Answers / Workbook and CDs / Website
    Main Wiki Page About David Schechter / Board member of the Psychophysiologic Disorders Association (PPDA) / Curriculum Vitae
    Insurance Accepted: PPO provider for Blue Cross, Shield, United, Aetna, Cigna, Medicare. No HMO's.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Clive SegilClive M Segil, MD
    (Physician)
    Clive Segil is an internationally renowned orthopedic surgeon from Los Angeles with 30 years of experience in the management of musculoskeletal disorders – a healer not just a physician/surgeon, with creative approaches to patient problems. Dr. Segil sees the patient as a “whole person” not only a “disease,” and he places great emphasis on the mind-body connection, applying the concept of what is best for the patient. This means that he uses treatments that result in a cure, at best, and at very least, a marked improvement in their well-being. (Source)

2080 Century Park East, Suite 500
    Los Angeles, CA 90067
    (310) 203-5490
    (310) 203-5412 fax
    drsegil@drsegil.com
    Website
    CURRICULUM VITAE
    Survey Response
    Insurance Accepted: All

Art Smith, PhD (Therapist)
    Dr. Smith wrote one of the few doctoral dissertations on mind-body medicine (Claremont Graduate University 1998). He gives lectures and seminars on Tension Myositis Syndrome (TMS), as well as contributing to research on the subject. (Source)

The Noetic Health Institute
    Irvine, CA
    (949) 460-0820
    drsmith@noetichealth.com
    Website
    Resume

Nancy Sokolow, LCSW (Therapist)
    530 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 310
    Santa Monica, CA 90401
    (310) 393-2020

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Jill SolomonJill Solomon, MFT
    (Therapist)
    Jill is a licensed marriage and family therapist in the Los Angeles area. She says "My interest in TMS grew after my own experiences with chronic pain for many years and my frustration with the traditional medical community. I knew there were many people suffering from 'mystery illnesses' that needed relief, guidance and support. I read Dr. John Sarno's book and was introduced to TMS through Dr. David Schechter in Los Angeles and Don Dubin MFCC. I am in private practice in the West Hollywood area, and chronic pain and somatization is one area of interest of mine. Unconscious 'bad' feelings that have been suppressed since childhood such as anger, guilt, sadness, rage, disappointment, unloveability and low self-esteem often emerge as somatic symptoms in various parts of the body." (Source)

Available via Phone
    8240 Beverly Blvd Suite #8
    Los Angeles, CA 90048
    (323) 692-3759
    jdspsyche@aol.com
    TMS Wiki Profile / Survey Response / Website
    Insurance Accepted: Private Pay

Additional Practitioner
    Monte Hueftle

San Francisco area
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Clark GroveClark Grove, PhD
    (Therapist)
    Clark has a masters in Humanistic Psychology (Mind/Body focus) and a PhD in Clinical Psychology, California Institute of Integral Studies. He is a licensed psychologist in California. He receives most of his referrals fromDr. Parvez Fatteh in the San Francisco Bay Area, who is a Sarno adherent and is board certified in physical medicine & rehabilitation, with a sub-specialty (Board Certified) in pain medicine.

He says, "About 8 years ago I was working with a client who had a number of issues, with the most compelling one severe tendon/muscle pain in his arms. He was diagnosed with repetitive motion injury and was so incapacitated that he couldn't even pick up his two year old daughter. This client introduced me to Sarno's workas he worked through his pain. The philosophy of Sarno's beliefs were familiar to me because of my background in mind/body psychologies in my Master's program at Sonoma State University. Approximately 7 years ago I had a close family member go through excruciating back pain. She consulted with over 10 health practitioners (mainstream and alternative) and did not find any diminution of the pain until she read "The Mind Body Prescription". She was pain free in about 2 months." (Source)

Available via Phone
    1902 Webster St
    San Francisco, CA 94115
    (415) 923-6760
    clarkgrove@sbcglobal.net
    Survey Response / TMS Wiki Profile / Website
    Insurance Accepted: Aetna, Managed Health Network.

Parvez Fatteh, MD (Physician)
    Dr. Fatteh is Board Certified in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, and subspecialty Board Certified in Pain Medicine. He has been practicing in the San Francisco Bay Area since 1998. His practice philosophy is that of a people-based approach. All treatment is tailored to the individual needs and comfort levels of each patient. He offers TMS treatment for a host of chronic conditions. (Source)

24301 Southland Dr, #411
    Hayward, CA 94545
    (510) 265-5795
    and
    115 Ryan Industrial Ct. #208
    San Ramon, CA 94583
    (925) 552-6363
    pfatteh@pain-medicine.net
    Website / TMS Wiki Profile
    Insurance Accepted: Most PPO, Medicare, Workers Compensation

Katy Wray, MFT (Therapist)
    Katy Wray graduated from the California Institute of Integral Studies in 1989, and has been in practice for over 20 years. She specializes in relationship issues, anxiety, chronic pain, and depression. She describes her therapeutic style as "interactive and collaborative." She says, "We will work together on coming to a deeper understanding of what is happening in your life. Different possibilities and choices can then become available to you." (Source)

2506 Clay Street
    San Francisco, CA 94115
    (415) 922-8121
    kwraymft@yahoo.com

Santa Cruz area

Bruce Eisendorf, MD (Physician)
    Dr Eisendorf MD is a doctor with the Palo Alto Medical Foundation in California. He says:
    “I try to understand my patients. I want to know what their experiences have been, what their joys and challenges are, and what's getting in the way of their more full enjoyment of life. My studies with Dr. John Sarno, author of "Healing Back Pain", "The Mindbody Prescription", and other books, has strongly influenced my practice of medicine. The mind and emotions have a profound effect on our physical and mental health and well-being. To better understand this relationship and help patients use the mind to their advantage, I teach classes and offer monthly support groups.” (Source)

2025 Soquel Avenue
    Santa Cruz, CA 95062
    (831) 458-5524
    Website
    Insurance Accepted: Cigna, Healthnet, Wellcare, Humana, BCBS, United Health Care, Wellpoint

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hasanna FletcherHasanna Fletcher, LMFT
    (Therapist)
    Hasanna received a M.A. in Clinical Psychology in 1992 from JFK University and has been a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist since 1995. She says "For the past fourteen years I've been helping people with a wide range of issues, such as relationship problems of all kinds, depression, grief and loss, anxiety, life transitions, spirituality, parenting, self esteem, and chronic physical pain. I cured my own long-standing back, neck and hip pain 10 years ago after reading Sarno's Healing Back Pain. Unfortunately, I didn't discover TMS in time to avoid two unnecessary shoulder surgeries in both shoulders. It has been so satisfying to help my clients avoid a similar mistake! " (Source 1) (Source 2)

2715 Porter Street
    Soquel, CA 95073
    (831) 476-8556
    hasanna@baymoon.com
    Hasanna has contributed a short article on Choosing a TMS Therapist to the TMS Wiki.
    Survey Response / TMS Wiki Profile / Website
    Insurance Accepted: Not on any preferred provider lists, but some PPO plans will reimburse at a lesser amount

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Emmett MillerEmmett Miller, MD
    (Physician)
    A traditionally trained physician, Dr. Emmett Miller is one of the founders of modern mind-body medicine. Although Dr. Miller is not trained in the treatment of TMS specifically, his treatment methods have been very helpful to others with TMS, including author Steve Ozanich, as he mentioned in a forum post (listed below). Dr. Miller now practices in California. using different holistic approaches such as guided meditation and deep relaxation as well as cognitive behavioral techniques, his practice focuses on helping people overcome a variety of chronic illnesses and problems, including stress, anxiety, and physical pain. Dr. Miller also provides life coaching sessions. (Source)
    Read Steve Ozanich's forum post mentioning Dr. Miller and mindbody medicine.

To make an appointment with Dr. Miller, follow the steps listed on this webpage
    329 S San Antonio Road, Suite 9
    Los Altos, CA 94022

18834 Rock Creek Rd
    Nevada City, CA 95959
    (530) 478-1807
    (530) 478-0160 fax
    Website

Other locations in California
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Suzanne EngelmanSuzanne Engelman, PhD
    (Therapist)
    An experienced clinical and health psychologist, Dr. Engelman has been working in the field ofpsychophysiologic disorders for 30 years. Part of the medical staff at St. Joseph Hospital in Orange, CA, Dr. Engelman often works with referrals from physicians (both TMS physicians specifically and physicians in general) who think thier patients may have a psychological compontent to their pain. Her approach includes mindfulness, biofeedback and other mind body approaches to working with pain. She also conducts Animal Assisted Therapy. Dr. Engelman currently has two offices, one in Orange, CA and one in Laguna Niguel, CA. (Source)

30131 Town Center Drive, Suite 292
    Laguna Niguel, CA 92677
    or
    1310 W. Stewart Drive, # 608
    Orange, CA 92868

(949) 460-4908
    srephd@hushmail.com
    Insurance Accepted: Aetna (in network provider), Blue Cross (out of network provider)

Patti D. Thomas, LCSW (Therapist)
    Patti is a licensed clinical social worker. She says of TMS "Treatment consists of identifying and acknowledging the suppressed emotion (anger, sadness, fear, etc.). That's it. It is not necessary to delve into the scenario which triggered those feelings in order to release the physical symptoms. Those symptoms were only there to protect your conscious mind from the feelings. So once the feelings are revealed, the symptoms simply fall away." (Source)

Peaceful Sea Counseling
    920 Samoa Blvd, Suite 209
    Arcata, CA 95521
    (707) 822-0370
    Website
    Insurance Accepted: Most providers including Medicare, Blue Cross Blue Shield, AARP, Tricare

Additional Practitioner
    Ryan Walsh

giantsfan likes this.
  11. James59

I feel like I've just been whacked over the head with a phone book.:bored:

12. Tennis Tom

Steve Ozanich, author of "THE GREAT PAIN DECEPTION", first response to TMS KNOWLEDGE PENICILLIN, was to throw Sarno's book across the room--please don't do that to your computer.

13. James59

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot????? o_O

14. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

What wonderful help these posts are. A great list of TMS doctors, therapists.

There are times when I want to throw my computer out the window,
    but live on the first floor so it might not do enough damage.

I like email and the Internet, but computer glitches drive me bonkers.
    I have a love/hate relationship with my computer.
    I constantly have to remind myself that it really is an amazing tool for
    someone like me who is a fulltime freelance writer. I google and go to Youtube
    for research and then write. But I'd rather be playing with my dog. Thank God
    Annie is not electronic! Unlike my computer, she is always perfect.

15. James59

I never said anything about throwing things at my computer. The thought never occurred to me. Furthermore, it has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of this thread so why bring it up out of the blue?????

Markus likes this.
  16. Tennis Tom

You're right, my apologies, please ignore my nonsense, g'luck with your pain.

tt/lsmft

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  17. Stella

Stella Well known member

James. . Do you believe a 100%? Do you have doubts? Do you keep reading trying to convince yourself?

Food for thought.

18. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

James, I agree with Stella that you may not yet believe totally in TMS causing your pain.
    It was very hard for me and took a while. I believed about 90 percent that my back pain was
    caused by boyhood anxieties, but withheld about 10 percent thinking the pain was structural
    from wear and tear because of aging, since I was 82. It took a month or more before I
    decided the pain was 100 emotional and it stopped.

Dr. Sarno says we may think aging brings on pain, but he says no, that the normal aging of a body is
    "like gray hairs of spine." Gray hairs don't hurt.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  19. Tennis Tom

Good one Walt!

20. James59

Stella and Walt, good question. I think the 100% conviction of TMS came only recently, that's why I said above that the statement "It was never about the body" finally clicked for me. Up until a month or so ago it was maybe 98%, with just a pinch of doubt.

But while I feel confident in a purely mental cause, I still tend to unconsciously manipulate my body for comfort even as I acknowledge that it's mental, not physical. I've been in perpetual discomfort for a full ten years now, and physical manipulation to find a comfortable position is a hard habit to break. It didn't help that in 2009 I worked with a Feldenkrais practitioner who taught me to notice every bodily position in order to "retrain my brain" to find the best balance. Unfortunately, it had the opposite of the intended effect by making me hyperconscious of every little discomfort which now gets magnified several times over.