1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Stupid question

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Alfaman147, Dec 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Alfaman, talk to your doc about it, it's an old med that's been recently shown to be the best NSAID. Like Sarno/TMS, your doc might not have heard of the latest study, which may be sitting in his pile of medical journals. Look it up and show it to him. It only costs me $9 a month for the pills by RX. In some countries it's OTC. It seems the suppository would be a possible app for your symptom relief, but what do I know, I'm only a tennis player? DICLOFENAC (generic), VOLTARAN (brand name). I got an rx from my physicians's assistant the same day I received the google alert about it.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  2. Alfaman147

Alfaman147 Well known member

I have the gel so I will stick with that. But to be fair most pain relief doesn't work

3. RichieRich

RichieRich Well known member

Alfaman147.......when I had some pretty strong arm pain from an RSI, I rubbed virtually anything and everything on that thing. Alcohol was better than any rub I used.

I refuse to take any pain relievers for my pains. For whatever reason, even normal aches I've never had much success with with pills or creams.

4. Alfaman147

To be fair I feel shit today. And sometimes when I feel like this I feel very low. But hey I have been here hundreds of times and things always improve. So I'm going to stay away from this forum and the Internet. I know what the problem is and the more I think about what pain meds to take the more I keep the obsession going. So I'm going to give myself a break.

5. Alfaman147

I had a moment of weakness today. I went to my local A and E today. Don't ask me why I just had a compulsion. Feeling a fair bit of discomfort today so I thought I'd go and try and put my mind at ease. I still have these nagging doubts about prolapse or infection or other stupid things.... bare in mind I'm sure I'd be dead by now. The doctor on duty was lovely. I said can you please just look in my rectum to check it out. Even though I have had about 10 rectal checks haha. She took my temperature, blood pressure and pulse and asked me a few questions. Do I pass blood, do I pass mucus and do I empty my bowels regularly. Basically she said there is no need to worry. I knew it anyway. She said I can't have a prolapse because I don't pass blood or mucus or struggle to poop. She said I don't have any inflammation or infection because I had no temperature and she just said it's all anxiety and tension. I knew it already. What an idiot. But she said it's the obsession that's keeping it going. I need to take my mind off it. She told me to stay off these forums and the Internet. I know that when I give myself a break from all this researching I feel better and iv just taken a step back again haha. But I'm deleting myself off the ibs forum. I will stay a member on this forum but I am going to stay away as much as possible. I know I will not find the answers on these forums because I know the answer myself. I know this flare up is because of my obsession over the Internet. ... asking online doctors and looking on loads of forums. So basically that's an update on where I am.

6. RichieRich

Alfaman147.....I had a similar compulsion once upon a time. I was living in Newfoundland, CA. I made the mistake of getting incredibly drunk and long story short, I made a mess of myself, falling down numerous times on my left shoulder and ribs. Now, if you know anything about Newfoundland, it's basically Ireland in Canada, and it's pretty easy to tie one off down on George Street.

I was in incredible pain for 2 weeks. My ribs were killing me on my left side. I couldn't laugh or cough. I learned that lesson the hard way when I sneezed one day at the office. I had evidently pulled a lot of intercostal rib muscle from my front to my back. I was convinced I had a diaphragmatic hernia, absolutely convinced. I saw two separate nurses on the job site, both of which were very experienced in these types of injuries. Both assured me that it was almost a guarantee that I had no such protrusion because the signs and symptoms are quite obvious. It took me 4 months to recover, and this was most definitely not TMS at the time.

During my recovery, I scoured the internet looking up all kinds of hernias. At the end of my mess, I concluded it was virtually impossible that I had one. Sometimes we take things to far. My compulsion with hernias was no different than yours with prolapse. Our problems simply cannot exist given the circumstances. It's like convincing yourself you've amputated your arm after a paper cut.

The forums aren't necessarily a terrible thing provided you're not endlessly researching your issue. I have the same issue with constantly researching these things, but I'm slowly resetting my brain to shut this down. Sometimes you have to just let the discomfort wash over you then move on, kind of like when you experience a shiver.

All the best.

7. Alfaman147

Was your discomfort like you had a bowling ball inside your rectum ??? some days its just my anus that aches. Sometimes it's higher up. It seems to move and change

8. Alfaman147

Like some people can be fixated that they have a physical illness. I am sometimes like that but I'm also fixated about my psychological one. It's like I know itsm psychological but I still feel the need to find out why. And it's this that holds me back. For God sake I got rid of this so many times and have improved for days even recently. Last weekend I was fine. But then I trip myself up and go back to square 1. I guess the obsession is also a tms thing. But it has to stop. I have to stop it. Why keep reading about levator ani syndrome and pelvic pain and proctalgia????? I've read about it all a million times and I'm wasting my life doing it. And it's not helping me in any way what soever

9. RichieRich

When I had your particular issue, you'd think it was the LA riots. There would be incredible [fullness]. I'd even question WTF when I would get the more intense spasms, but then everything functioned as normal so I would forget about it.

You seem to have already noticed that there are periods where it isn't happening. I think this is evidence enough that it's probably more stress driven. My shoulder pain, which has been an incredible bitch at times, has abated quite nicely in the past week when I decided it was more psychological than physical. And while it's not always as simple as that, I needed a break from myself. I'm just tired of the constant worry and self-deprecation, and really don't want this cycle to continue.

I live near Tampa, FL now. I should be out with the family doing stuff.

10. Alfaman147

Yes I'm tired of worrying. I'm bored of worrying. Life is too short to spend all the time worrying. So maybe we both need to quit this forum for a while

11. Alfaman147

I think this forum is just another way of worrying

12. RichieRich

I've considered quitting, but find solace in offering up my own experiences sans any slants.

13. Alfaman147

True. I'm glad to hear you have had the same problem as me. And we're able to move on from it. Like the doc said... no blood or mucus means it's nothing to worry about

14. Alfaman147

I'm gonna pull myself together again and have a few beers tonight I think.

15. RichieRich

How I miss my Westmalle Dubbel's and Tripels as well as Affligem.

Cheers.

16. Tennis Tom

You were just told by the doc that it's NOTHING physical
    You were just told by the doc that it's NOTHING physical, that it's anxiety and tension--she may never had heard of Dr. Sarno, but that's the definition of TMS. And within 20 minutes of posting that you, are back to worrying that you have a bowling ball up your butt--STOP IT ALREADY!!!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  17. Alfaman147

I know tom. I'm an idiot. it's just the pain is so real it makes you think what the fook is going on.

18. Tennis Tom

Did you ask her about the Voltaran, diclofenac?

19. Tennis Tom

Posted - 12/0[​IMG]9/2016 : 15:00:09 [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Alfa, there's a TMS chat starting within the hour here, you have plenty of time to find it and join in: http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/pages/chat/ (Drop-In Chat Room)

Please Join JanAtheCPA as your moderator on the PPD/TMS Peer Network’s weekly free Peer Support Drop-in (text) Chat room session.

JanAtheCPA is a semi-retired accountant from the Northwest who discovered Dr. Sarno in 2011. She continues to learn about and loves to discuss all things Mind/Body, and is passionate about sharing her experiences with others.

Saturday Dec 10, 2016 @ 3:00 PM EDT

Come text about your TMS, learn about how others are handling theirs

Or.. just “listen” in.

TMSwiki.org/chat

Matthew
    Less activated, more regulated and more resilient.
    Ferretsx3@comcast.net

Organizer of TMSwiki.org/chat

20. RichieRich

You're not an idiot dude. You're just like the rest of the folks on here. Somebody searching for a means to an end.......to their PPD of course.

My shoulder pain has been intense for nearly the past 2 years if it makes you feel any better. Oddly enough it wasn't the months of lifting my bike overhead with my right arm that started the issue, but using my mouse one day. I had only a week prior overcome 3 months of excruciating foot pain that made it unbearable to walk. And there I was living in the Netherlands where you eff'ing walk and bike to get everywhere. Within 2 weeks of overcoming the foot pain, I felt a pinch atop my shoulder while using my mouse, and that was all she wrote. I've been suffering from shoulder blade pain, rotator cuff pain and radiculopathy to my fingers for almost 2 years now. If you think a pain in the buttocks is hell, try having something that directly hinders your ability to get to and/or do your job. Couple that with generalized anxiety disorder and you have yourself a very special kind of hell. It could be much worse, trust me.

Like I said before, I give up. I had given up some months ago and was feeling great, but then a toss of the football with some friends' kids at the end of October sent me back into a downward spiral. I'm actually surprised I've been able to pull myself back from the brink in a matter of 5 weeks.

You really have to let it do it's thing and then move on.