1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this link: http://go.tmswiki.org/newprogram
    Dismiss Notice

managing flare ups

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Kylin Foster, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Kylin Foster

Kylin Foster Peer Supporter

I have been experiencing IBS symptoms when my pelvic pain went down it has been really on and off but now is in full swing. Recently, I have been constipated and bloated all the time. Need help using tms approach when pain is not involved. How do I become outcome dependent about bloating I try really hard to but am always insecure about it still.

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

3. Bodhigirl

Bodhigirl Well known member

I’m managing what i think is a new flare up of sorts.
    It’s like conjunctivitis but my husband (a doctor) said it’s allergies (TMS) and to use warm compresses.
    I tried the compresses and got some relief.
    I am stressed because I’m on VACATION and it is weird to not know what day it is, to not be anchored in my routine.
    The symptoms began in Hawaii when I got sunscreen in my eyes and it burned like crazy.
    Then watering eyes. Now itchy and crusty with a little gunk. The watering stopped after I read some TMS notes I store on my iPad. This isn’t so easy to fix.
    I tried some antibiotic gel. I think I am getting a placebo from it. Give me placebo any day: awakens the brain’s natural pharmacy, yes?
    Years ago in Sicily I had an “eye attack” where my eyes were stinging, rolling back in my head, scaring me till i was weeping. I thought it was a food allergy at the time, really before i had fully embraced TMS at the level i have in more recent years.
    We were at a medical conference so one of the Italian physicians went to the local pharmacia and brought me eye drops. I was fine within 24 hours. It was about 12 years ago, my eyes have been fine ever since. All that is left is fear of a recurrence and embarrassment at having five doctors huddled around me in the hotel lobby discussing my eyes. I felt so small.
    My husband says “anxiety” and I say “allergy from lowered immune response.... from... anxiety.”
    This felt similar to Sicily only i didn’t fear it because i knew deep down it as TMS. But that hasn’t disrupted the symptoms - yet.
    Many years ago I had conjunctivitis multiples times, maybe 20 years ago. During a time of high stress.
    I’m willing to feel whatever I need to feel to free this up.
    My body is saying “rest” and so I am resting.
    Thought I would throw it into the consciousness of my TMS nation. Nothing arose under keyword searching for eyes watering, conjunctivitis-but since it’s an -itis, it is inflammatory in nature. Right?
    Thanks for listening. And best wishes for a pain free, symptom free new year!
    Bodhi

MindBodyPT and JanAtheCPA like this.
  4. Bodhigirl

Bodhigirl Well known member

Flareups.
    Damn.
    First day back in the office. I get up, go to yoga and on the way home from 90 minutes... bang. An aura. With headache. Usually I get them without headaches and I hadn't had one in a few months, was feeling pretty spunky and self-satisfied about it.
    The eyes-itis cleared up quickly and then, a headache. Unlike headache sufferers, like Ellen, who feel the prodromal symptoms of migraine, my aura is the first thing to visit. I was feeling lovely when my vision went. I can only think it was accumulated stress of negotiating 12 days of vacation time, outside my normal structure.
    I have been attuned to my tension responses to so many things. My busy mind: I like this, don't like that, this is scary, this is nice, this is hard, this might be too hard, I don't know how to say what I want to say... it's living with uncertainty, moment by moment, by moment. and not tensing.
    That's my job right now. The rest is landscape. The road is noticing a rise in tension and unwinding it before it gains momentum, recognizing negativity and downshifting before it gains momentum.
    It's neverending. It's not supposed to end. I just want to practice friendliness toward it. (-:

January 2, 2018
    Bodhi