1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

managing flare ups

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Kylin Foster, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Kylin Foster

Kylin Foster Peer Supporter

I have been experiencing IBS symptoms when my pelvic pain went down it has been really on and off but now is in full swing. Recently, I have been constipated and bloated all the time. Need help using tms approach when pain is not involved. How do I become outcome dependent about bloating I try really hard to but am always insecure about it still.

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

3. Bodhigirl

Bodhigirl Well known member

I’m managing what i think is a new flare up of sorts.
    It’s like conjunctivitis but my husband (a doctor) said it’s allergies (TMS) and to use warm compresses.
    I tried the compresses and got some relief.
    I am stressed because I’m on VACATION and it is weird to not know what day it is, to not be anchored in my routine.
    The symptoms began in Hawaii when I got sunscreen in my eyes and it burned like crazy.
    Then watering eyes. Now itchy and crusty with a little gunk. The watering stopped after I read some TMS notes I store on my iPad. This isn’t so easy to fix.
    I tried some antibiotic gel. I think I am getting a placebo from it. Give me placebo any day: awakens the brain’s natural pharmacy, yes?
    Years ago in Sicily I had an “eye attack” where my eyes were stinging, rolling back in my head, scaring me till i was weeping. I thought it was a food allergy at the time, really before i had fully embraced TMS at the level i have in more recent years.
    We were at a medical conference so one of the Italian physicians went to the local pharmacia and brought me eye drops. I was fine within 24 hours. It was about 12 years ago, my eyes have been fine ever since. All that is left is fear of a recurrence and embarrassment at having five doctors huddled around me in the hotel lobby discussing my eyes. I felt so small.
    My husband says “anxiety” and I say “allergy from lowered immune response.... from... anxiety.”
    This felt similar to Sicily only i didn’t fear it because i knew deep down it as TMS. But that hasn’t disrupted the symptoms - yet.
    Many years ago I had conjunctivitis multiples times, maybe 20 years ago. During a time of high stress.
    I’m willing to feel whatever I need to feel to free this up.
    My body is saying “rest” and so I am resting.
    Thought I would throw it into the consciousness of my TMS nation. Nothing arose under keyword searching for eyes watering, conjunctivitis-but since it’s an -itis, it is inflammatory in nature. Right?
    Thanks for listening. And best wishes for a pain free, symptom free new year!
    Bodhi

MindBodyPT and JanAtheCPA like this.
  4. Bodhigirl

Bodhigirl Well known member

Flareups.
    Damn.
    First day back in the office. I get up, go to yoga and on the way home from 90 minutes... bang. An aura. With headache. Usually I get them without headaches and I hadn't had one in a few months, was feeling pretty spunky and self-satisfied about it.
    The eyes-itis cleared up quickly and then, a headache. Unlike headache sufferers, like Ellen, who feel the prodromal symptoms of migraine, my aura is the first thing to visit. I was feeling lovely when my vision went. I can only think it was accumulated stress of negotiating 12 days of vacation time, outside my normal structure.
    I have been attuned to my tension responses to so many things. My busy mind: I like this, don't like that, this is scary, this is nice, this is hard, this might be too hard, I don't know how to say what I want to say... it's living with uncertainty, moment by moment, by moment. and not tensing.
    That's my job right now. The rest is landscape. The road is noticing a rise in tension and unwinding it before it gains momentum, recognizing negativity and downshifting before it gains momentum.
    It's neverending. It's not supposed to end. I just want to practice friendliness toward it. (-:

January 2, 2018
    Bodhi

5. Amina.84

Amina.84 Peer Supporter

Hi. How are your eyes now please? I have many eyes symptoms very strange, I tried so many eye drops and many thinks and see many ophtalmologist. Do you think that eyes symptoms may be TMS?
    Thanks you

6. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hmm. @Amina.84, how many times have you posted this same question on old threads? Answer: Quite a few, and most are years old.

Many doctors, many drops, no diagnosis, and no change is a good indication of TMS.

Obsessively posting this same question on multiple old threads is also TMS and it is a trick of your TMS brain to distract you and make you believe you're accomplishing something.

I recommend that you go to the Support subforum and create your own thread to ask for help in starting a TMS program. Don't spend time describing your physical symptoms, because 1) the details are irrelevant and 2) we are not doctors. If it's TMS, your symptoms are going to be different and completely unique to you. Reading one of Dr Sarno's books first would be helpful. Probably The Mindbody Prescription or The Divided Mind.

Instead of physical details, tell us about the emotional and the psychological aspects of your situation so that people can make appropriate recommendations for you to do the emotional work!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2022
    mbo likes this.