1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Alan Gordon June 9 Drop-In Chat with Alan Gordon, LCSW

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Forest, May 31, 2012.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

On June 9, 2012, the PPD/TMS Peer Network (previously known as the TMS Wiki) held one of our weekly Drop-In Chats with Alan Gordon, LCSW. With the consent of all participants, it was recorded and the recording is available in this thread. As one chat participant wrote, "This would be a good sticky on the forum. I'd listen to this over and over again."

Quick Links:
    Alan's Biography:

Alan Gordon, LCSW is a psychotherapist in Los Angeles, CA, specializing in the treatment of chronic pain. Alan is an adjunct lecturer at the University of Southern California, has authored publications on the treatment of chronic pain, and has presented on the topic of pain treatment at conferences, mental health facilities, and pain centers throughout California. He served as the chair for the 2nd PPD Conference, which took place at UCLA in 2010.

The original post that started this thread follows:

Hey Everyone,

I have been talking with PPD practitioner, Alan Gordon, about hosting a special online event on Saturday June 9th, and I would love to hear your feedback/ideas on how to do the event.

Currently, we are thinking of having a couple deep consults, where Alan will focus on a couple different individuals’ recoveries, and then do a Q&A component where people could ask Alan some questions about TMS and how to recover. There will also be a voice component along with a text chat component.

This will be a terrific opportunity to interact with one of the most talented people out there. Read his article, Breaking the Pain Cycle, to get a better idea of his approach. Whenever I see someone who is really struggling, Alan is the first referral I think of (he does Skype treatment), even though sometimes I do hold back, because I don’t want to pressure people.

We are thinking about having the event will start at 3:00 PM EST and have it go for about an hour. We could then start the regular drop in chat after that, probably around 4:00 PM EST.

If anyone is interested in participating in the event or to learn more about it, simply post below. As a peer network all of your ideas are welcomed, and we would love to hear how you think we can make this event really successful. Likewise, if you have any ideas or question we should ask Alan Gordon feel free to post your ideas below. Basically, we want to hear what sort of event you would like to participate in.

Forest

2. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

I'm so bummed that I can't make this (prior commitment on 6/9) but I'd love to be on the next call.

What a great idea :)

3. Lori

Lori Well known member

Awesome Forest. Can we put this on the homepage so it stands out as a special event?

4. Justina

Justina Peer Supporter

I'd be interested in joining. :)

5. Forest

We'll miss you, Veronica, but are glad that you can join us, Justina!

If anyone would be up for helping out, let me know. We will need some volunteers to help guide the chat and to moderate.
    Definitely! I'll do that soon.

6. Pandamonium

Pandamonium Well known member

I might be able to help forest, give me a shout if you need a hand.

7. Alan Gordon LCSW

Alan Gordon LCSW TMS Therapist

I plan to focus primarily on how to feel the feelings that are responsible for the pain; how to get to the heart of the repression.

Alan

quasar731 and danielle like this.
  8. Forest

That sounds like a great topic. It's always a primary concern and I see a lot of people frustrated with that particular stumbling block. I know that I could use some help with it myself!
    That would be wonderful, Panda. Basically, we're just looking for a couple of people who are willing to log on to the software beforehand and poke around a little bit. That way, when the event starts, we'll have a couple of people around who can answer questions about the software and help make sure that things go smoothly. It wouldn't need to be an iron clad commitment, either, in case something comes up at the last minute. May I count you in?

9. Forest

Hey Everyone,

I wanted to let you all know how to attend the event. We will be using a service called Fuze Meeting to host the event.

To join the meeting from your computer or mobile device, click or copy and paste this URL into your browser:
    https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/48fb7aa8/16688066

From here simply click that you are an attendee and you will be able to join the event. To listen from your computer you should select the option to connect via VoIP. This simply means you are connect by the internet, and it will allow you to listen to the event through either your computer speakers or headphones. By clicking the link above you will be able to be part of the text chat portion, as well as the audio portion.

You can also join by simply calling in or through skype (However, if you do not click the link above you will not be able to see the text chat portion).
    Dial-in Number: +16465837415
    When prompted enter the pin number:
    Attendee Pin Number: 21558901

The event will open around 2:00 PM EST, so people will be able to join a few minutes early to get a feel for the software. If you have any questions feel free to post in this forum. I would also recommend checking out the wiki page, Joing a Multimedia Drop-in chat, for more information on how to join the session.

10. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Forest, do you still need moderators? I'll jump in.

11. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

There's a chance I might be able to drop in towards the end; is that OK? If not, no problem.

12. Forest

That sounds terrific! We can always use more moderators. Essentially, this would entail answering people's questions about how to use the software and just keeping an eye on the text chat portion. The main thing will be to relay questions people have asked in the text chat to Alan and myself.

If you, or anyone else, are interested I can test the software with you before hand. This will help us iron out any kinks before Saturday and help everything go smoothly.

Veronica, feel free to drop in whenever you can. It will be great to have you there!

13. danielle

danielle Peer Supporter

Hi, this sounds great! I am in the middle of the structured program, have had several "aha" moments, and short periods of relief, but overall still pretty slow-going (started reading Sarno a couple years ago) and I am a "tough case" so I can't wait to meet a person Forest recommends for someone "really struggling". Look forward to tuning in, and doing a consult if there is still room.

14. dabatross

dabatross Well known member

Alan's articles are great so this should be really good

15. Forest

Hey Everyone,
    I wanted to let you all know that I will be scheduling one more 15 minute training session on the webinar software tomorrow at 1:45 PM EST. If you're interested in joining the team and helping out, it shouldn't involve much work at all, just join in the meeting then (directions here) and I will train you up. If you have any troubles connecting, just go to our standard chat room at http://tmswiki.org/chat/ .

There is also great guide on how to participate as an audience member at http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Joining_a_Multimedia_Drop-in_Chat and another document about how to help out at http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/For_Staff:_Joining_a_Multimedia_Drop-in_Chat

I hope to see you all there!
    Forest

16. quasar731

quasar731 Well known member

Howdy doo Forest! As you know for technical reasons I could not get to the webinar. Is there any chance that the recording will be available to listen to at some point?
    Hope you enjoy the webinar.
    Have a great weekend!

17. Forest

Yes! It should be up tomorrow (Sunday).

It was a really terrific event, definitely something not to miss.

danielle likes this.
  18. quasar731

quasar731 Well known member

Thank you Forest, look forward to listen to it.

19. EileenTM

EileenTM New Member

Have you posted the recording of the webinair? I cannot find it.
    Thanks,
    EileenTM

20. Forest

Hi Eileen, yes, I just did. It can be found here:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/june-9-drop-in-chat-with-alan-gordon-lcsw.368/
    If you have any questions, feel free to post them there.

Edit: It looked like we had a good discussion starting here, so I moved them into the thread below in order to preserve the continuity of the discussion.