I am dealing with vulvodynia and urinary frequency for two months, but even worse than my symptoms is the fact that this has kicked off my anxiety in a MAJOR way. I'm anxious and panicky all the time now, and I can't sleep because of it. I was diagnosed with pelvic floor tightness by a urogyn, but going to PT made me even MORE anxious somehow.
Right now, I struggle to sleep without meds. But the meds don't even work a lot of the time. I just lie in bed, obsessing over the burning pain. There's a lot going on in my life right now that is very stressful, so that doesn't help.
I have a long history of somatic complaints: neck pain, back pain, reflux, wrist pain, IBS. PT never helps me... I did it three times for various pain issues and never got any relief. Eventually, the problem always seems to just fade away, sometimes after months or years.
Anyway, I think there's evidence that this is TMS, but I'm not entirely convinced. I want to be convinced! I've started the program and I've also started seeing a new psychotherapist to dive into my problems.
After that long intro, I guess my question is: what resources would you recommend for me to help convince myself this is TMS?
I have read Sarno's Mindbody Prescription and Gordon's The Way Out. I have purchased Unlearn Your Pain, and I have Hope & Help for your Nerves queued up on Audible. I also purchased A Headache in the Pelvis, but I haven't read it because it seems to focus more on the physical (and on men), which goes against the tenets of TMS. My new psychotherapist actually told me to avoid anything PT-related because it will make me focus too much on the pain.
I want to read or watch enough that I feel convinced I have TMS, but I also don't want to overload myself. I feel like every book has its own 4-8 week program, and I can only really do one of them, right? But I'd love to hear what people recommend as reading/listening/watching material.
Thanks in advance!
Right now, I struggle to sleep without meds. But the meds don't even work a lot of the time. I just lie in bed, obsessing over the burning pain. There's a lot going on in my life right now that is very stressful, so that doesn't help.
I have a long history of somatic complaints: neck pain, back pain, reflux, wrist pain, IBS. PT never helps me... I did it three times for various pain issues and never got any relief. Eventually, the problem always seems to just fade away, sometimes after months or years.
Anyway, I think there's evidence that this is TMS, but I'm not entirely convinced. I want to be convinced! I've started the program and I've also started seeing a new psychotherapist to dive into my problems.
After that long intro, I guess my question is: what resources would you recommend for me to help convince myself this is TMS?
I have read Sarno's Mindbody Prescription and Gordon's The Way Out. I have purchased Unlearn Your Pain, and I have Hope & Help for your Nerves queued up on Audible. I also purchased A Headache in the Pelvis, but I haven't read it because it seems to focus more on the physical (and on men), which goes against the tenets of TMS. My new psychotherapist actually told me to avoid anything PT-related because it will make me focus too much on the pain.
I want to read or watch enough that I feel convinced I have TMS, but I also don't want to overload myself. I feel like every book has its own 4-8 week program, and I can only really do one of them, right? But I'd love to hear what people recommend as reading/listening/watching material.
Thanks in advance!