1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 Will I ever conquer this?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Penny2007, May 25, 2014.

1. Penny2007

Penny2007 formerly Pain2007

In 2007 I put out my back and it continued to hurt for months despite physiotherapy, pain pills etc. I then discovered Dr. Sarno, read most of his books and realized that I had TMS and probably have had it since I was a child. I gained relief from pain but continued to have tender points, headaches and sometimes acute pain when life got stressful.

A few years ago I did the structured program here on the TMS wiki and it helped a lot.

Now I'm in pain again. I've put my back out 3 times in as many months and now have chronic upper back and neck pain (and an awful headache as I type). I know this is TMS but a little voice in me says, Will I ever conquer this?

I started to see a TMS therapist by Skype. I've had one session. The problem is that much of my current stress is finance related and I really can't afford the therapy but I'm doing it anyhow. I figure it will be less of a financial strain if I have a session every 2 weeks instead of once a week.

I'm also suffering from anxiety. I know it's all stress related, I just don't know what to do when I identify the emotion I'm suppressing. If it's anger do I go in a room and scream, punch a pillow? I think this is the part that has always eluded me.

I will try the structured program again as I feel I need to do something between therapy sessions. I'll continue to post in the forum.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Penny2007. Financial worries can cause anxiety and other TMS, I sure know that, as a fulltime self-employed
    freelance writer in today's world where there is little work for people like me.

If the TMS therapy isn't really working for you, maybe take a vacation from it and save the money.
    Spend your time instead on doing the TMS Structured program which helped you before.

You also can find new hope and inspiration from reading the Success story subforum posts.

And also consider starting the Alan Gordon TMS Recovery Program. It's getting a lot of new attention from TMS sufferers who healed from it. It's at:

http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/TMS_Recovery_Program (TMS Recovery Program)

Also read the books of Claire Weeks about dealing with anxiety and look up her videos you can watch free via YouTube.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2017
  3. Penny2007

Penny2007 formerly Pain2007

Thanks Walt.

I didn't say the therapy isn't working. I'm doing it because I feel everything else I've done hasn't worked for the long haul - only temporarily. I've only done one session with one of Alan Gordon's therapists who I found through Alan's recovery program.

I'll look up Claire Weeks. Thanks for mentioning.