1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Pelvic pain

Discussion in 'About This Site' started by sheryl, Dec 25, 2017.

1. sheryl

sheryl New Member

Hello all. I am new to the forum. This is a great place to come for support. I have been reading many posts and decided it was time to relay my own story dealing with chronic pelvic pain and hope to get some insight from all you brave individuals.

I had a hysterectomy February of 2016 and unfortunately was left with chronic pelvic pain on the right side of my abdomen which radiates all the way into my right groin and burning into my female parts. After 8 months of PT I was 80 percent better and so happy to be relatively pain free and able to deal with the occasional aches and pains. Unfortunately May of this year a yeast infection had sent me spiraling down the pain road again and all my symptoms returned, worse then before. I have been in PT again for several months and do feel slightly better and my pelvic floor is definitely better per my therapist however the deep nerve pain , uncomfortable sensation remains 24 7. After urination and bowel movements it is intense. I am beside myself with all this. This is no life. I can't get a break from the pain. I ask myself was this nerve damage as to why I was left with pain after surgery?? No doc can tell me that. Nobody knows. So after getting better and this last relapse I am certain it is TMs, remembering the previous trauma. I don't know where to begin healing. I want this gone. It is effecting me in every way. I would appreciate any response and help to begin healing. I can't live like this the rest of my life.

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Sheryl,

Sorry to hear about the pain you are dealing with. You have come to the right place and will find that we can all empathize with what you're going through.

The first place to start is with acquiring knowledge about TMS through reading. Have you read any books on TMS?

Then you might want to start the Supported Education Program which is free on this site. Also, the Pain Recovery Program by Alan Gordon is very good and also free on this site.

Because your pain started post-surgery it may be helpful to consult with a doctor who specializes in TMS. Have you considered this?

Let us know what you've tried so far, and we can give more individualized advice and support.

Glad you have joined us on the Forum!

Lily Rose likes this.
  3. NicoleB34

NicoleB34 Well known member

i think calling it "nerve damage" is very common thinking, but it might not be damage at all. i developed similar symptoms from a string of urinary infections (i developed IC) then developed Pudendal neuralgia from a nerve block gone bad. A PT told me that my pelvis was "sensitized" from all the trauma (physical trauma) in the sense that the lower spinal cord where all the pelvic nerves meet up has become hypersensitized. that's where pelvic pain science is going. Neurologists would call this Central Sensitization. However, TMS therapists consider CS to be TMS. The central nervous system has become sensitized because it feels unsafe. Pain is a danger signal, or rather, danger signals are hitting the brain, and brain needs to feel safe again in order to calm down the sensitivity. Easier said than done, i know.

4. sheryl

sheryl New Member

Thank you for your replies. I have started the SEP program today and have done a lot of reading on TMS and am certain this is what I have. I am looking forward to this adventure and to be pain free again. Nicole, how has your recovery been? How long in your TMS journey did it take you to feel less pain?

5. Ewok

Ewok Peer Supporter

Do you have a history of the other illnesses Dr. Sarno describes as common to those with TMS? e.g. back pain, allergies, headaches, UTIs, random other pains e.g. RSI or IBS? What is your personality type? If you fit the profile and have such a history (as detailed in books like The Mindbody Prescription) then that would be a pretty big clue that it's TMS. Millions of women every year have this surgery without issue.

I kind of have your situation in reverse. Similar symptoms but mine started randomly and I also have prolonged menstrual bleeding and a hysterectomy has been recommended as all the 'usual' treatments have not worked.I'm resistant at this stage as I wonder if it TMS too. Do you mind if I ask why you had your hysterectomy?

6. sheryl

sheryl New Member

I do not have any of those other ailments. I had high risk HPV and had a hysterectomy after other treatment measures failed to clear it. No pain prior to surgery. I know I was very anxious and didn't want this surgery.

7. Ewok

Ewok Peer Supporter

I would highly recommend reading The Mindbody Prescription and going from there. Also, The Great Pain Deception by Steve Ozanich. Those two books tell you everything you need to know about TMS.

I remember there was another question about a hysterectomy on here recently and SteveO himself answered and said that the person was angry about the surgery and that was why she was having post-op prolonged pain.