1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

New to this - advice welcomed

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Anne17, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Anne17

Anne17 Newcomer

Hi all. A friend recently recommended that I read Dr Sarno's book to help with my back pain. I'm half way through a second book and I haven't gotten the immediate relief people seem to get. Any tips / advice on things I can do to speed up the process? Or things I should be doing generally?

2. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  3. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Anne,

Glad you found Sarno and TMS! And welcome to the wiki. A great place to start is also the Structured Educational Program on this website and Alan Gordon's TMS Recovery Program. Lots of people don't get immediate relief from just reading the books, its best not to worry about how long it will take. That varies a lot person to person. Educate yourself on TMS and how to channel your emotions and "feel your feelings" as is often talked about. Let me know if you have a question and welcome!

plum and Anne17 like this.
  4. Anne17

Anne17 Newcomer

Thank guys. I've been reading a lot and listening to lots of you tube videos on the topic but I have gotten progressively worse since I started researching the topic. Is that normal? For the first couple of days I was extremely emotional and.crying a lot but that has passed now and the pain is so much worse. I haven't started the journaling yet, does that make a big difference? Or is thinking about it enough?

Thanks so much for replying to me. I am very frustrated about it all at the moment especially since it's getting worse

5. Anne17

Anne17 Newcomer

Thank guys. I've been reading a lot and listening to lots of you tube videos on the topic but I have gotten progressively worse since I started researching the topic. Is that normal? For the first couple of days I was extremely emotional and.crying a lot but that has passed now and the pain is so much worse. I haven't started the journaling yet, does that make a big difference? Or is thinking about it enough?

Thanks so much for replying to me. I am very frustrated about it all at the moment especially since it's getting worse

6. Anne17

Anne17 Newcomer

7. FredAmir

I never have my clients journal when they begin their recovery. Why?

Because what you focus on expands in your life.

If you keep writing about your sources of anger and rage, you are focusing on the dark, depressing past. When you do and relive the bad past, it is quite natural to feel worse and have more pain.

Instead of focusing on a dark, depressing past, I recommend creating a bright and beautiful future. A future that excites you and propels you toward a rapid and complete recovery.

All the positive emotions created in this process counters tension and builds your confidence so that you can conquer TMS in all its manifestations.

It's simple logic. Happy makes you healthy!

So start to focus on what makes you excited about life and keep moving in that direction.

Lunarlass66 and plum like this.
  8. karinabrown

karinabrown Well known member

Hi Fred Amir ,

But is that not the opposit from what the sep is asking us to do ?
    I mean : journaling about possible issues ?
    Focussen on what makes you happy is always a good idea , but as i recall from the sep some 'work' had to be done first
    From being in pain and learn about tms to be going to 'being exited for the future takes some midle steps i think?
    Would be great to do that instantly but maybe a bit too optimistic ?

9. FredAmir

Actually, it is quite easy if you follow some simple steps.

Read the stories of those who have done it in the testimonial section of my website or the reviews on Amazon.com.

You can also listen to the Rapid Recovery from Back and Neck Pain podcast, which is currently available free, to learn about the core steps in my Nine-Step Plan.

What is important is to be flexible in your thinking and approach. Do what works and stop doing what does not work, in TMS and in life!

10. karinabrown

Hi Fred,

thanks for the invitation, but have enough stories here on the wiki.
    And i don't agree about the "its easy" part you wrote: maybe for some it is but for many it is not. You can read that also on this wiki.
    i am not new to this (sadly) but still making some progress and that 's the important thing.

you gave advise : do what works and don't do what not works : this is also
    somewhat in conflict with "outcome independence " for example! when someone
    is in severe debilitating pain and they should only "do what works" there
    is a big change you stay in exact that same situation. personally i think
    you slowly have to get back to also what not works....

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  11. FredAmir

Doing what works means: if you are journaling and seeing improvements in your symptoms, then keep doing it.

Stop doing what does not work means: if after journaling for a few weeks, your symptoms are the same or worse, then look for another modality to treat your TMS.

12. karinabrown

Hi Fred,

Somethings i tried took months before got results sometimes its trial and error for longer time. We all progress in our own timeframe i guess

13. FredAmir

You know yourself and what works for you. So keep that in mind and do what works.

Take care,