1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Focusing question

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by David B, Feb 4, 2014.

1. David B

David B Well known member

For those of you familiar with Focusing: has anyone experienced sleepiness coming on during the process? Any thoughts or experiences on what if anything to do about it? I find it happens once I start to get some sense of the felt sense.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

David, I would consider it a benefit if you fall asleep during the focusing or any other TMS healing technique.
    To me it means you're relaxing. Nothing wrong with that. If you feel sleepy, let yourself go and enjoy a little shut-eye.

3. David B

Good point Walt. Good reminder that relaxation no matter how it comes is a blessing.

4. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

I have fallen asleep doing it DavidB. I do it now more so without going to sleep cause I can do focusing in trance now -- wide awake without the meditation countdown. Doing this is called centering by some,its because i can be in the trance mode in like three seconds. Its took me doing focusing for a while now to get there, but if your driting off as of now as you and walt agreed -- its good. It shows your doing the work. Stay with it and you will notice in time that you will be able todo it more and more with less and less effort. As in meditive effort because in time you will be able to acheive calmness in seconds. Your doing awesome david. Thanks

5. David B

Thanks guys. The past week or two has been a challenge as my symptoms resurged. doing bit better everyday with your support

6. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Yea, it will come back for a moment David B. Just know now that this is the symptom imperative. Something to try and keep the pain in your body -- somewhere, anywhere. So just stay course and keep doing your Protocol.
    Let me know when you get back to feeling better and we will go over your current protocol. Maybe in a few weeks it will be time to add something to the mix ok.
    Bless You

7. David B

Herbie,
    Thank you for offering. Now that I have completed the SEP I am trying to figure out whats next.

I had been doing the program in the morning as well as 15 minutes of meditation. typically reading one of Dr Sarno's books for 15-30 minutes in the evening. I was also writing a list of things I was grateful for in the evening though I havent been consistent lately as I have been putting my daughter to bed and sometimes falling asleep next to her. :)

When flair ups happen during the day I typically tell myself "I am healthy, I am strong, this is TMS, It will pass." Or "its ok. there's nothing wrong. this is part of the process. be patient. be persistent." And i often try to figure out what negative thought or pattern is happening. I will also ask myself what bothering me if a pattern or thought doesnt arise.

I had started working out lightly every other day. When the pain resurged I backed off thinking I might have pushed a little too soon and a little to far so Im not working out right now.

The last thing I would say is Im not really afraid of the pain anymore but it can still be overwhelming, ie, I have to sit down because Im tired from trying to keep on walking while the pain is there. Im kind to myself about this. Accepting that I am human and its not easy to do certain things in pain and its ok to take a break for a rest. I still get mad at the pain for interfering with my life and comfort; maybe this is something I need to deal with,not being mad at it?

Any ideas would be great. I am working to work at it without over working if that make sense. Reminding myself "this takes time and I dont know how much and thats ok. And Im ok. Im going to be fine."

Be well Herbie and thank you.

8. Eric "Herbie" Watson

You are doing great David B. Your protocol is flawless except that 1 thing. Getting mad at the pain for interfering with your life. This can be overcome with non- judgmental thoughts toward the pain and letting it do what its going to do till it just looses interest in trying to get your attention. You will be great before you know it, just don't let the pain be of a burden to you. When the mechanism knows that you aint studying it anymore soon it will give up. Your doing great DavidB:)

It might not feel like it but you have the right ingredients. Stay with your knowledge. It wont be long now.

Bless You

nancy likes this.
  9. David B

Thanks so much Herbie! You are a great supporter. A few examples of non judgmental thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

10. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

This is perfect. Be kind, respect your energy level, teach your body that you care about it, back off when the pain is high, and ease forward more gently, so that it doesn't associate the activity with pain. I do not believe in pushing through the pain. Rather, easing through it, so the body unlearns pain association.

Not being afraid is one of your greatest new tools .... it is mine, too. Such a novel thing ... to be unafraid. I keep circling it, testing it, and finally just smiling.

I love your post. It is a mirror for all of us.

with grace and gratitude,
    ^_^

11. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

I fully agree. Herbie is a wonderful supporter. He radiates a very special sort of energy and kindness.

with grace and gratitude,
    ^_^

12. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Just the above thought. It is ok to be constructively mad in which it drives you to the finish line but if this means up-set and angered at yourself mad then theres a simple tweak that you can fix. Now with that said there is nothing more to do but be patient and wait my friend. Are you doing your imaging ? Are you staying in the now and getting rid of all stressors possible by your reaction control. See all this is just tools to check yourself by. How is your focusing going?

Judgmental thoughts in General would be like "You should be healed by now" or any thought presupposed with The Shoulds.
    This is usually unconscious and often subconscious till we bring it to awareness but you seem to have the You Shoulds under wraps.

Just stay in the now and focus, you got this.

Thanks David B and Lily Rose. You guys are Really the Ones I got my eyes on.
    I can feel your about to have that next breakthrough.

Bless You

13. Eric "Herbie" Watson

David B how have you been buddy. I know all is going well or you would be asking the deeper questions:).
    If your not asking then you got it. I'd love to hear an up-date. I sure grew to like you Dave.

Bless You

14. David B

Herbie

Thanks for checking in. I was thinking about you all, especially you, Walt and Forrest the past few weeks. To be honest I was a little afraid to come back to post because things have been going so well.

I really broke through presidents weekend. We were on a scheduled get away to ski and I was still hurting. I was still afraid. I was still having trouble standing for more than 10 minutes or so w out sitting down for a break. The second day I dropped everyone off and went back later to meet them for lunch at the mountain

One of the other dads had encouraged me to just try one run. I told myself I would try even if I had to stop and sit on the slope every few turns. As I was getting my stuff on I was so emotional. Part of me knew this is what I should be doing. Every act of prepping I felt better. I had to carry boots in one hand skis in the other. More weight than I had pick up in months; no problems. I worried about sitting on the chair. Hardly a symptom. I skied four easy runs w the kids and that was it. I woke up the next day and while a bit sore from the activity I was so much better. I skied the whole day and only minor symptoms

Since then I have worked out every other day and am 95% or more symptom free. The funny thing is lots of annoying stuff I didn't know had been TMS over the years has tried to come back. The biggest one is night time allergies. I realized when I was dealing w back pain my nose was never congested. As soon the back and leg disappeared the nose got stuffy at night. It just says I have more work to do.

Looking back it was all about faith. Faith in the diagnosis. Faith in myself.

Looking forward it's all about self awareness and vigilance. Aware that there are many thoughts and emotions that emerge that aren't in my control. Aware that it's all ok. That I am not my thoughts. Vigilance to keep negative thoughts from taking over and using my tools to counter them.

This site was invaluable. I continue to direct people to it. Without the generosity of everyone and especially you, Walt and Forrest I wouldn't be where I am. Thank you.

Will keep you all up to date as I follow Dr rashbaums prescription to "go do my thing".

Be well and happy before you have a reason,

David

15. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Wow, thank you so much David B -- what an awesome time you have been building. You are going to new levels and understand new wisdom. Keep your thoughts right where your going cause you have all the tools you need. I'm always around to talk if you ever need to. Sounds like Rashbaum has a great effect in your journey too. I am always excited when I see other's enthusiasm grow because I know they will heal and stay healed. Its all about our purpose and you sure have that. Bless You my friend.

I Like the story when you skied even though you wasn't sure. Then you felt pretty good the next day. That's the truth of overcoming all fear. That thing you fear the most, go and do it anyway.
    Awesome. :)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  16. justforme

justforme New Member

Ps. What is a protical?
    Thank you.
    I am new here. What it meant by focusing?
    thank you
    louise

17. Eric "Herbie" Watson

justforme a protocol is the tools you use and how you use them, the focusing is one of the tools.
    Have you started the SEP yet, there you will learn to heal with all the tools ok,
    http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Structured_Educational_Program
    Ask all the questions you can at the SEP and learn well ok.
    1 question I have for you though, have you been checked by the DR. ?

18. justforme

justforme New Member

Hi
    Is the sep a meditaton? I believe you mean by focusing you mean observing.
    I observe naturaly.
    I have had a very messed up childhood. I was very angry all my life. 25 years ago,
    I discovered a judeo, christian meditation.
    I began to see my self honestly and went through some spiritual experiences.
    25 years ago I had an excorcism in my room. That expierience healed my migrain headaches that I suffered since childhood. My rage fell away also. They never came back.

It also drew me to God and the HOly SPirit taught me to observe,

So I believe the SEP! Must be similiar.

I. Thank you for your message, I know you are on the same path.
    Louise

19. justforme

justforme New Member

ps. Yes I try to go once a year to the doctor.

20. David B

Im no expert in Focusing and others such as Herbie have much more experience. Here's what I would say:

One of the big learnings from my TMS is that there is no separation of what we call the mind from the body. In fact physically the mind has the ability to influence and or control our entire body.

Most of the TMS recovery/discovery process is about digging into the mind from a psychological perspective and this approach has helped thousands of us with TMS symptoms become free from them.

Focusing is a technique that comes at things from the other direction. It's a process that helps you connect to the wisdom of your body when dealing with challenging issues, people, etc. by asking questions of your body and letting it respond. Its almost a form, some might say it is a form, of meditation that follows a certain process of internal inquiry on a specific issue.

It was developed by Dr. Eugene Gendlin from U Chicago based on research that showed that people who ultimately benefit from psychotherapy are those who focus internally and actually experience an internal physical feeling of change during meetings with therapist. They arent just thinking about their feelings their are actually paying attention to their body sensations. I have read articles saying that the stomach is a second brain that plays a role in emotions, that "old gut feeling". You can find the book on line though I think its only available in hard copy.

Eric "Herbie" Watson and Ellen like this.