1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback on Pain Cure Clinic

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by shmps, Dec 14, 2017.

1. shmps

shmps Peer Supporter

I know about TMS very well and believe strongly in it. I dont need knowledge or therapy to convince myself to believe that pain is psychosomatic. I have known this for 3 years and followed Alan's recovery program. It has helped me a lot however I am not completely healed. I thought, will give pain cure clinic a try and my first session is tomorrow. Just wanted to get some feedback on them and how they can help differently that what we have already learnt or did so far.

2. Timbercat

Timbercat Well known member

3. Timbercat

Hi shmps. I went thru the Pain Cure Clinic before I discovered tms wiki. I had two skype sessions with John Thornton @ $175.00 each for 1.5 hr each. He recovered from back pain and his partner from RA using Sarno's approach. He has added an exercise component which he calls "physicality" and provides an action plan after talking to you and figuring out what seems to be contributing to your symptoms. Also provides a list of books to read - many of which are found on this site. His action plan for me was a little too aggressive and when the symptom imperative set in, I could not keep up. He is a coach and has no credentials for counselling and he is quite straightforward about that. A couple of people have posted that they had great success with him recently. If I find those posts I ll let u know. For me, i needed more follow up and counselling and could not afford his fee of $125.00 for 1 hr sessions. That was just my experience. I think he is competent but expensive.

4. Timbercat

Ok there are two recent threads posted in success stories subforum . One by Katie Scissor and another by War Eagle Man - both had great success with pain cure clinic. Hope that helps. Good luck.

5. shmps

shmps Peer Supporter

Thanks so much for your reply. This was good information for me.

6. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Yeah, if you look at the posting history of these two members, they have each posted two different success stories at two different times, but the length and structure of all four stories are practically identical. Two of them were reported by a very alert member. I suspect we're being spammed by Pain Cure Clinic.

plum, Ellen and shmps like this.
  7. shmps

shmps Peer Supporter

Thanks!!

8. JanAtheCPA

Shmps, have you tried either of our free programs? The SEP was designed by Forest and early volunteers of the wiki and the forum, using many different resources and techniques. It's what I did back in 2011 when I discovered Dr. Sarno. Our newest program is the Pain Recovery Program (there's a scrolling link at the top of every forum page) which was generously donated by our good friend, Alan Gordon, LCSW.

9. shmps

shmps Peer Supporter

Yes, I have seen a TMS therapist from Alan's team and she to me has been a god send. I learnt how to change my relationship with fear and how to be outcome independent.
    No, I have not any structured program or journalling or meditation. I dont know what holds me back. All I believe in and have done in last 3 years since I have known TMS, is Alan's work. I have done the pain recovery program.

10. bagofwater

bagofwater Peer Supporter

Re PCC spamming. Was this ever cleared up? There's quite a bit about their program/website that looks appealing to me. Apart from their, possible, dubious postings I'm seeing nothing but positive reports… granted many of those are from their own sources, but its been 6 years and they seem to get results consistently.

Btw, I have tried the free SEP a couple times over the years, as you recommend above, but it's never been a good fit for me. Thx!

11. JanAtheCPA

(repeating the info from your other post, followed by a list of other resources:

Hi @bagofwater - the most complete discussion of this outfit is on a different thread, and the bottom line is that in spite of supposedly being invited (by their only true advocate who we knew was a real member) to explain themselves, they never did. Forest (founder of tmswiki.org) was fully aware of the situation, but in the end, they just quietly disappeared.

The comprehensive thread, with opinions rendered by a numbmer of senior members, is here: Possibly not genuine:My Rheumatoid Arthritis is completely cleared up. | Page 2 | TMS Forum (The Mindbody Syndrome) (tmswiki.org) I recommend that you read the entire thread, then see how you feel about them.

The problem with the SEP - or any free program, is that you get what you pay for, which is that you are on your own to stay on track, and to do the work with commitment and brutal self-honesty. So perhaps you do need a coach - or a structure that demands commitment.

The SEP was put together by Forest and other volunteers more than 10 years ago and has not been substantially updated. Attempts have been made to fix broken links, but some of the resources have completely disappeared from the internet, which would require finding a replacement. Did I mention "volunteers"?

Alan's Pain Recovery Program, on the other hand, was gifted to the forum by Alan Gordon, LCSW and owner/founder of the Pain Psychology Center, and it was professionally created by him. It also has a focus and path which is different from the SEP. If you never tried that, check it out.

Drs. Schubiner and Schecter both have workbooks.

An affordable program is Curable - professionally updated and curated, with many additional resources like interviews and meditations, and group experiences for additional costs or upgrades. The introductory version is free to try.

The above resources are, however, 100% self-directed, just like the SEP.

Nicole Sachs has what is technically a self-directed program (online or downloadable, maybe both?) which includes ongoing membership in her private Facebook group, so maybe there is more incentive to be accountable? In addition to her book, she also has a podcast (started in 2018, I think) which is incredible - I've lost track of it recently, but just start with the very first episode. She also runs online and in-person conferences.

Alan Gordon's Pain Psychology Center has TMS therapists and coaches via online sessions, and offers sliding scale fees. Be aware that a licensed therapist/LCSW in one state will probably have to legally call themselves a "coach" if you are in another state - but the education, training, and ethics code are still in place.

There are also a number of non-credentialed coaches who have proven their TMS bona-fides by participating in discussions, answering questions, and providing substantive advice here on the forum. Unfortunately we don't have a comprehensive list, and I am not going to attempt to list them from memory, so you pretty much have to come across them when they post. Or they are free to respond here (and if you don't recognize someone who responds, make sure they are genuine participating members of the forum by checking their posting history on their profiles, because we don't allow outright marketing).

Good luck,

~Jan

12. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

“The SEP has never been a good fix for me” ... the SEP isn’t intended to “fix” you. It is, as @JanAtheCPA an self driven program to help you help yourself. It’s intent is to help you stop looking for external “fixes” and to assist you to turn inward, where your true answers lay.
    You can certainly get assistance with your journey but a good tms therapist is going to always insist that turning inward is the answer.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  13. bagofwater

I said SEP wasn't a good "fit" Cactusflower, not fix.

I'm an old hand with TMS, but a sincere thanks for all this, @JanAtheCPA. All these names are familiar. I've read most of their books, plus a few others - seen two different PPC therapists, done Schubiner's workbook. What I'm looking for now is "guided assistance with my journey", which PCC offers in a very clear way. Although after reading through the thread you mention re their squirrelly TMS community citizenry and promotional practices, I'm somewhat less inclined to use them.

Thanks again

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  14. JanAtheCPA

I keep forgetting about Alan's most recent work, which he calls Pain Reprocessing Therapy. His new book is The Way Out, and there is a new companion wiki and link to a new forum here: Pain Reprocessing Therapy Wiki (prtwiki.org)

I have the book, but haven't started it :oops:

15. bagofwater

I've fully embraced Gordon's The Way Out as a resource for some interesting new ideas. He's charting a bit of a new path - nary a mention of Dr. Sarno in the book.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  16. mbo

mbo Well known member

IMHO Gordon's very interesting book leans on the behavioral/cognitive aspects of the neuroplastic (TMS) pain rather than on the emotional roots of that phenomenon.
    But it seems weird/sad the forgetfulness of the pioneering/seminal work, but "too freudian", by dr. John Sarno?
    Anyway an extraordinary book, recemtly also available in Spanish.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  17. Xara

Xara Peer Supporter

I want to leave a comment, because I feel touched and disappointed by the fact that some people just want to earn money, exploiting others' pain and despair, especially when this forum can be hope for tmsers all over the world.
    I cannot see the spams ( maybe because I am in another country) and I do not read the threads that suggest something which is to be paid. In addition, in order to go on with my healing process, I had to trust what I read in this forum, I had to believe that people are real and sincere and that the purpose of this forum is to spread the tms theory and help. In fact I feel a little insecure.
    But, to sum up, I have a rule: I will not give money to someone, unless I am pretty sure I will get help. It may sound a little strange to some of you, but think that all around the world there are many countries, in which people believe in the necessity of public health. I don't know the word but I mean that people can go to the hospital for any reason - even to a therapist or a serious surgery -without paying nothing and without having an insurance contract, just because they are humans and deserve to be healthy.
    I hope that you can protect the content on this forum and the members opening their soul here. I also hole that some day, all people will have access to public health, it takes much pressure of you and is human and right

18. bagofwater

I'd bet everyone who pays PCC gets help. They just didn't need to pay. ...or did they? A concise paid plan from a legitimate looking website might help some folks access Dr. Sarno's approach. I agree it's uncool that PCC appears to take ownership of this approach ("Sarno 3.0" indeed), but TMS is effectively an open-source method. I routinely pay for software based on open-source code because it's packaged and marketed in a way I can understand.