1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Doing the TMS Recovery Program Together

Discussion in 'About This Site' started by Forest, May 22, 2014.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi everyone,

A couple of weeks ago, I announced a new series of discussions about the TMS Recovery Program donated by Alan Gordon, LCSW. I'm happy to say that the first thread was posted today. We will continue to have one or two threads posted per week for the next several months.

I thought it would be helpful to have the same people responding to the threads every week, so I asked for volunteers who would go through the program together. I have been thrilled and amazed by the response. So far, @Andy B, @Anne Walker, @avik, @chickenbone, @cirrusnarea, @Colly, @David B, @Eric "Herbie" Watson, @Forest, @G.R., @Gigalos, @Gigi, @hecate105, @Mermaid, @Msunn, @Shanshu Vampyr, @tigerlilly, @Walt Oleksy, and @yb44 have signed up. We have such an amazing community here, and everyone's help is gratefully appreciated.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I think that the program is some of the absolute best TMS content on the site:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/TMS_Recovery_Program

Alan had very severe TMS himself, and used the techniques in the program to recover. They've helped me, personally, and many others as well.

Whether you are a newcomer or an old-timer, I would definitely encourage everyone to keep up with the threads. They will be posted in the "Alan Gordon TMS Recovery Program" Subforum. To find it, just click on "All Subforums" at the top of the page and scroll down to click on "Alan Gordon TMS Recovery Program." Look for the green "Official Thread" label next to the thread title to find the discussions that are part of this project. New threads will be posted around 3:00 PM EST most Mondays and Thursdays.

If anyone would like to join the team, just let me know. I think it will be a really terrific experience for all of us to go through the program, together, step by step.

Speaking of Alan Gordon, I'm happy to share that in the next week or so I'll be new collaboration with Alan and the various psychotherapists at the Pain Psychology Center. Watch this space for details.

2. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Do we have to hold hands or wear plaid skirts?

I have to look at this Alan-Gordon-Program (AGP) sometime, it sounds interesting. Good man he is.

Lesson 137, in A Course In Miracles, states, "when I am healed, I am not healed alone." This is true in almost all cases. Last Fall a radio host asked me what this "TMS healing was all about?" I told her that people just want to know if anyone cares about them.

Pain is a form of isolation when we have no other options, and cannot express our fears and frustration. When we can't fight or flee, we freeze. We go into emotional hibernation.

I healed with other people. What was it that gave power and authority to Dr. Sarno's words? It was the real-life examples he gave of healings. By setting an example, we allow others to heal. It gives us visual permission to see that something is possible. It pulls us into their wake of light.

Isolation = Pain Connecting = Healing

I think this is another great idea by the King of the Forest. If only there was a community for TMSers to go to, like a Wiki or something.

Steve

Just in case anyone may be interested:
    http://acim.org/Lessons/lesson.html?lesson=137

Ellen and mousemom like this.
  3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Wow Steve that is a cool site you left us with and some very good wisdom coming from a great mind like you. ( Pain is a form of isolation ) I love it. I just ordered a course in miracles on audible. I had my monthly credit so I always use it well with the advice of great minds like yours and Marianne Williamson.
    Thanks

4. Marian

Marian Peer Supporter

Steve, as an ACIM junky from way back, thanks for the pointer to lesson 137... it's something I quote to myself as I go through this TMS process. With the help of your book, by the way. Many thanks to you for writing that book!

baschaya likes this.
  5. uly789

uly789 New Member

Hello. I would like to join the team. Is it too late?

6. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Can u go threw the program while doing the structured program also if so I would like to join.

7. Forest

Heya, Uly, it's not too late at all! The group that was taking the program together is currently on hiatus, but together we created some amazing discussion threads - one for each section of the program. The threads are all still easy to find and the great thing is that if you respond and ask your own questions, many of the people who posted in the thread will be notified via email that a new person has joined the discussion. Plus, so many people have read the program that there should always be people to talk about it with.

In terms of what to do, I would suggest just doing the "Reader's Guide to the Alan Gordon TMS Recovery Program." Most people go directly to a different program, the "Structured Educational Program," (SEP) but, to be honest, I think that the "Reader's Guide" may even be better. I wish that more people did it before the SEP, but I haven't had a chance to refine it or publicize it as much. Feedback on the Reader's Guide is particularly appreciated since it is so new.

If you decide to do the Reader's Guide to the Alan Gordon TMS Recovery Program, I'd encourage you to look at the "Official Threads" that go along with it. Basically, there is one "official thread" for each section of the program. This announcement is about the project that created the "Official Threads." While the project is currently on hiatus, the team worked hard to create some really amazing threads about each of the sections of the TMS Recovery Program donated by Alan Gordon. The completed threads are currently in the "Alan Gordon TMS Recovery Program" Subforum. To find it, just click on "All Subforums" at the top of the page and scroll down to click on "Alan Gordon TMS Recovery Program." Look for the green "Official Thread" label next to the thread title to find the discussions that are part of this project.

Hope this helps!
    Sure, if you want, but I wouldn't recommend it. Like I said to uly, above, I think the best thing to do is to do the Reader's Guide before the SEP. TMS healing is all about relaxing and letting things unfold. It takes time and trying to do to much "TMS Work" at once tends to lead to people getting too focused on their TMS, which is the opposite of what you want.

8. Boston Redsox

So what you are saying I should stop the SEP and do Alan , I am on day 8 of sep...I am confused ugh.

9. Forest

Sure, if you're up for it. Alternatively, since you've already made progress on the SEP, you could just finish that. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

The reason I suggest the Reader's Guide first is that it gives skills that may lead to more positive outcomes while you are doing the SEP. But people have been doing the SEP without doing the Reader's Guide for years, and they've done just great, so I wouldn't stress about it.

10. Boston Redsox

Ok Forest can u send me the link to readers guide

11. Forest

12. Boston Redsox

Ok Forest I think I will just do the sep....and focus on that I don't want to do to much and get over whelmed that would just make maters worse I think.

13. Forest

Sure!

14. uly789

uly789 New Member

Got it. Thank you Forest!