TMS Professionals Survey Project
We are keeping this page to preserve the history of the TMS Wiki. However, we are no longer updating this page. As a result the information on this page is outdated. Please keep this in mind while reading this page.
TMS Medical Doctors Project
We are in the process of generating a list of questions to send to medical doctors who are members of the TMS community. Please use the forum below to provide feedback about these questions. All suggestions are welcome!
Survey Response request sent to the following doctors:
Clive Segil 1/11/10
Parvez Fatteh 1/11/10
David Lipsig 1/11/10
Alexander Angelov 1/11/10
Allen Giesen 1/11/10
Eugenio Martinez 1/11/10
Roger Gietzen 1/11/10
David Kim 1/11/10
Ira Rashbaum 1/11/10
Randy Cohen 1/11/10
Mark Strom 1/11/10
Mordechai Levenstein 1/11/10
Sharon Farber 2nd Nov 2010
TMS Therapists Project
One of the initial goals in creating the TMS Therapists Project was to provide a comprehensive resource for locating TMS therapy practitioners. Users communicated their need for a resource that allowed them to search for TMS therapists by location, easily identify which therapists conduct phone consults, determine which insurance plans each therapist accepts, and more.
To achieve this goal, we are sending the survey questions below to the TMS therapists for whom we have contact information, along with a brief introduction to the TMS Wiki and an invitation for them to join. The first batch of therapists was contacted via email on 1.13.09. The second batch was contacted via paper mail sent on 1.22.09.
Please see below for more information on which therapists were contacted during the two phases of this project.
Please note that the survey questions below have changed since this project started, and reflect the most recent version of the survey response, not the original questions asked.
Standard Survey Questions
Number of years in practice helping people with TMS:
Number of clients you have seen who have had TMS:
What is your association to the TMS community?
Have you ever suffered from TMS? If so, how did you recover? (optional)
What insurance plans do you currently accept?
Do you have a sliding scale of payment for people who are not covered by insurance?
Are you able to conduct sessions over the phone and/or via internet video services (i.e. Skype or FaceTime)?
What have you done to educate yourself about TMS, and what plans do you have for further education about TMS?
What mindbody books do you recommend to your patients? In particular do you recommend Dr. Sarno's books?
As we are going to post your answers on the TMS Wiki, feel free to write some text to introduce yourself:
Questions Specific to Therapists
What is your general psychotherapeutic treatment approach?
How does your approach to treating TMS differ from your general psychotherapeutic treatment approach?
Phase I: Email Outreach
If anyone knows of additional TMS therapists who can be contacted by email, please feel free to send them a copy of the email text below, making sure to include the survey questions above, then send an email to info at tmswiki dot org providing the therapist's contact information.
Therapists contacted via email:
To learn more about the formatting of email addresses on the TMS Wiki, click here.
- Arlen Ring, PhD - Arlen at Arlen Ring dot com
- Jill Solomon, MFT - jdspsyche at aol dot com
- Clark Grove, PhD - clarkgrove at sbc global dot net
- Hasanna Fletcher, LMFT - hasanna at baymoon dot com
- Peter R. Brown, PsyD, DAAPM, FABMP - drsatbrownstone at yahoo dot com
- Serena Sterling, PsyD - drsterling at portland hills dot com
- Jonna Lee Barta, PhD - jonna dot barta at sbc global dot net
- MaryAnn Schaffer, PhD - schaffer at clearwire dot net
- Georgie Oldfield, MCSP - georgina at painreliefwestyorkshire dot co dot uk
- Monte Hueftle - monte at running pain dot com
- Mark Atkinson, M.D. - contact via online email submission box on his website
- Therapists at Impact in Surrey, UK - info at impactlbc dot com
- Therapists at Brain-Train in Scotland and London - info at brain-train dot co dot uk
- Therapists at Human Capital Consulting in London - via online email submission box
Suggested Email Text
Dear «Therapist Name»
I obtained your email address via the "Find a Doctor or TMS Therapist" link on Find a TMS Doctor or Therapist, and I am writing on behalf on the TMS (Tension Myositis Syndrome) community, to ask you to provide some information for a new project that is being created. As so many of the people who suffer from TMS benefit greatly from the support of each other and the sharing of information, we have created a TMS Wiki website that we hope will serve as one of the premiere on-line TMS resources. On this website (www.tmswiki.org), users will not only be able to access the community's favorite success stories, add their own pages and stories, and find reviews of print and on-line TMS resources, but they will also be able to locate health care professionals who specialize in treating clients with TMS.
We have been informed that you are familiar with TMS and have treated clients with this condition, and we would like to add your name to our web-page as a TMS therapy provider.
Below we have provided questions that the community deemed most helpful to know when looking for a therapist. We ask that you look through these and answer as many as you like. As this website is a Wiki, it will allow you to update the answers to these questions whenever you see fit (again, this is something we can help you with). Or, if you'd like, feel free to add your own page under the "TMS Master Psychotherapist List"/"Therapist Home Pages" section of the wiki. Please feel free to email us for directions on how to do this. We appreciate your time and hope that this project will help make you more accessible to sufferers of TMS.
Additionally, please feel free to visit the site and make contributions as you see fit. We are always looking for new members to join!
Your Time is Appreciated!
Phase II: Paper Mailings
Paper mailings were sent to the therapists listed below on 1.22.09. If anyone knows of additional TMS therapists who are neither listed here nor on the "Therapists Contacted via Email" list, please feel free to mail them a copy of the letter text, making sure to include the survey questions above, then update the wiki with their responses, or send an email to info at tmswiki dot com providing the therapist's contact information.
Therapists contacted via paper mail:
- Susan Basset, MSW, LCSW 18319 Linnet Tarzana, CA 91356
- Helene Green, LCSW 18319 Linnet Tarzana, CA 91356
- Phil Green, PhD 18319 Linnet Tarzana, CA 91356
- Susan Mendenhall, PsyD 10436 Santa Monica Blvd, Suite 3050 Los Angeles, CA 90025
- Nancy Sokolow, LCSW 530 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 310 Santa Monica, CA 90401
- Clark Grove, PhD Clinical Psychologist 1902 Webster Street San Francisco, CA 94115
- Mileah L. Koudele, LCSW 2696 S. Colorado Blvd., Suite 200 Denver, CO 80222
- Peter R. Brown, PsyD, DAAPM, FABMP Noninvasive Healthcare Institute, Ltd 9601 West 165th Street, Suite 6 Orland Park, IL 60467
- Barbara A. Kline, LCSW-C 113 S Prospect Street Hagerstown, MD 21740
- Deborah Conley, LICSW, 76 Bedford Street, Lexington, MA 02420
- Ronald D. Siegel, PsyD 20 Long Meadow Road Lincoln, MA 01773
- Lisa Morphopoulos, LCSW 98 Riverside Drive (at 82nd St.) Suite 5H New York, NY 10024
- Serena Sterling, PsyD 852 SW 21st Avenue Portland, OR 97205
- Jonna Lee Barta, PhD 101 W McDermott Suite 109 Allen, TX 75013, or 2340 E Trinity Mills Road Suite 300 Carrolton, TX 75006
- MaryAnn Schaffer, PhD One Killeen Center Executive Suite 108-7 Killeen, TX 76541
- Gail DiBernardo, LCSW 22613 23rd Place West Brier, WA 98036
Suggsted Letter Text:
Dear «Therapist Name»
We are writing on behalf on the Tension Myositis Syndrome (TMS) community, to offer you the opportunity to participate in a new project that is being created to promote TMS awareness and provide support for sufferers.
As so many of the people who suffer from TMS benefit greatly from the support of each other and the sharing of information, we have created a TMS Wiki website that we hope will serve as one of the premiere on-line TMS resources. One very important feature that this website provides is the ability to locate health care professionals who specialize in treating clients with TMS.
We have been informed that you are familiar with TMS and have treated clients with our condition. We therefore invite you to join our community and add your own TMS Therapist Page to the website. Doing so will allow members of the TMS community to learn valuable information about you and your practice, and to contact you to obtain services.
To streamline this project, the community has worked together to generate a list of questions that TMS sufferers find most pressing when looking for a therapist. We have included these questions below, to inform you of the information we will be asking for.
If you are interested in potentially participating in this project or would like more information, send an email to forest for trees at ymail dot com.
You can view examples of TMS Therapist Pages, by visiting tmswiki.org and clicking on “TMS Therapist Survey Responses.” Please also free to visit and peruse the TMS Wiki site at any time. We are always looking for new members and feedback.
The TMS Wiki Community
|DISCLAIMER: The TMS Wiki is for informational and support purposes only and does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment recommendations. See Full Disclaimer.|