1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to the Forum for the Structured Educational Program

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by JanAtheCPA, Sep 1, 2012.

1. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi alicemae, and welcome to the SEP! Go to top of this page, click on "Structured Educational Program". When you get to that page click on Post New Thread on the upper right, then there will be a box for the prefix with a dropdown arrow. Drop that arrow and you'll see the choice of days.

2. andreaHerold

andreaHerold Newcomer

I am on day 16 of this program and I am so grateful for it! I don't post much because I don't want to scatter my energy. Just want to express my gratitude. I am definitely making progress, started running again, something I thought I would never do again! Now I am working on my patience and creating new habits of emotional selfcare. This is an amazing and helpful resource. Thank you to all of you who have put this together. What a generous gift to us all!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  3. Fabi

Fabi Well known member

Hi, I can´t create a new thread on Day 1 for example. Can you help me?

4. JanAtheCPA

Hello, Fabi - and welcome to the SEP! Go to the top of this page, click on "Structured Educational Program" (it looks like this:
    upload_2015-9-27_18-15-53.png
    When you get to the new page, click on Post New Thread in the upper right corner, then there will be a box for the prefix with a dropdown arrow. Drop that arrow and you'll see the choice of days.

5. TeeJay

TeeJay New Member

Does anyone have advice on which part of the program to start first? The TMS Recovery Program or the Structured Educational Program?
    Thanks!!!

6. JanAtheCPA

Hi TeeJay:
    I hope someone with experience of Alan Gordon's Recovery Program will help answer your question. Have you read the discussion here?: http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/welcome-to-the-tms-recovery-program-subforum.2102/

I can tell you that the SEP is just what it says - it's Structured, with a daily reading or video, a daily exercise and a daily "question to ponder". It's designed to take things slowly and give you plenty of time to absorb the work, perhaps read another book or take up the practice of meditation or mindfulness.

There are many ways to do this work, and no one way that works for everyone, but if you read and engage in forum posts and success stories you will find the things that resonate for you and find your way to recovery.

Fabi likes this.
  7. Fabi

Fabi Well known member

8. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Fabi,

If I were you just work on one program, there is in fact no added value in working through programs simultaneously. If anything it will prove to be more stressful and overwhelming to your condition.

Work through a program at leisurely pace and don't worry if you miss a day etc. It's more important to ease yourself into the routine and be gentle, kind and loving to yourself.

Good luck

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  9. JanAtheCPA

Hi Fabi:

You can't actually mess things up (that's your perfectionist personality :D) but as Mike said you don't want to get overwhelmed by trying to do too much at once.

The SEP is very structured and has you do just a little bit every day. If you have a lot of other concerns (like being a single mother with a teenage son!) perhaps the SEP would be a better choice for you. However, quickly reading through Alan Gordon's Recovery Program just to get an overview of his process might be very useful before you start the SEP.

There are actually many ways to do this work :) and I can see from your other posts that you are already making progress!

~Jan

mike2014 likes this.
  10. Fabi

Fabi Well known member

Thank you!

11. Fabi

Fabi Well known member

Thanks Jan, and I am a perfectionist! :(
    I am sorry I will go through one of the programs and "try" not to do too much at once.
    And yes, I am already making progress!

12. Fabi

Fabi Well known member

@mike2014 and Jan
    thank you for your posts, I think I will continue with Alan´s programme. I even started translating into Spanish some of his pdfs that come with the recordinga. It helps me to translate, it is as if I were writing the actual words, some things I just translate them as any translator would, others I just summarize an idea, and I am printing them, they have a different impact on me when they are in English or in Spanish, for some reason, I like the English version much better. (I don´t believe the Spanish words!)
    Anyway, I will continue to do as I started, and thank you, everyone !

mike2014 and JanAtheCPA like this.
  13. Adamrex

Adamrex New Member

im on day 8 and the link is dead to PegHanson's success story. does anyone know where i can find it? thank you

14. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Adam,

I'm sorry that when you clicked on the link it was dead. Would you be willing to click on it again to see if it is still dead for you? I clicked on it just now and it opened right up. I did have to scroll down a bit to get to the story, but that's just due to the layout of the site where she posted the story.

Here's the link:
    http://tmswiki.wikifoundry.com/account/Peghanson

Fabi likes this.
  15. Adamrex

Adamrex New Member

im on mobile browser, i had to click view the desktop site in my settings. thank you !

Fabi likes this.
  16. PussInBootz

PussInBootz New Member

Hi.. I'm really new to the concept and was told to read Healing Back Pain... do I need to finish that before I start the program? I'm a really slow reader :/

17. Fabi

Fabi Well known member

It is

18. JanAtheCPA

Hello, PIB, and welcome!

I would say that it's highly recommended to read one of Dr Sarno's books before starting the SEP, because doing this work means understanding his theories before starting to do exercises based on them.

That being said, if I've learned anything in four years, it's that everyone is different,and we all recover in different ways. You can't hurt yourself by starting the SEP whenever you want to, and the first days are definitely introductory. The only risk is that you might not get the most benefit from some of the later days, but if you keep reading, it will probably be just fine.

Also, you can always go back and redo any of the days. There are no rules about when you do the work. The only rule I personally require of myself is to be honest with myself st all times.

Good luck, and keep us posted in the SEP subforum!

mike2014 likes this.
  19. PussInBootz

PussInBootz New Member

Hi Jan

Thanks... it does make sense to read the book first, yes.

Also, I am about to embark on some formal therapy on a specific aspect of my life. The appearance of my "RSI" coincides with me starting the process of getting on the waiting list. Would it be best to do the SEP concurrently or after this therapy? I have my first session in 2 weeks.

Thanks again :)

20. JanAtheCPA

Well, I'm a tax accountant, not a therapist, so I'm not able to answer that question from any professional point of view. The SEP is not meant to be intense therapy, but is more about self-discovery. Although some people report intense reactions on occasion.

You might consider asking this question in the Help subforum, because we probably have members who have been in therapy while doing this work, and may have an opinion.

There you go, you're already catching on to the tricks your primitive brain will play on you.

PussInBootz likes this.