1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to the Forum for the Structured Educational Program

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by JanAtheCPA, Sep 1, 2012.

1. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

This is the discussion forum for the Structured Educational Program Forum at the TMS Wiki. The SEP is a great way to learn about TMS and incorporate a daily activity that will assist you in your healing. The SEP has links to articles and other resources about TMS along with different types of writing (aka journaling) exercises.

During this free six week program, there will be suggestions on certain days to create a post on the forum. This isn't a requirement by any means, but it is a great way to receive support and encouragement, and to meet others who are on the same path as you learn more about yourself. Post only what you feel comfortable writing about.

There are different ways to post your SEP experience. Each day of the program has a special prefix that corresponds to it. When you start a new thread, find the prefix that corresponds to the day you are on and create your post. You can also comment on or respond to existing threads. Alternatively, you can create a thread just for your SEP journey, and continue to add to it (you can find your own posts and threads by going to your profile page).

Although it's designed as a six-week program, you certainly don't need to work on it every single day. Go at your own pace, but keep in mind that while learning about TMS, it helps to submerge yourself in the information. Knowledge is power and repetition makes it stick.

Keys to Success: Don't rush through it! Progress will only result if you take the time to let the information sink in, and make a commitment to do the exercises with emotional openness and 100% self-honesty. You may have to fight your subconscious brain in order to accomplish these two things, because it will try to have you skim through the program, and edit what you write down during the exercises. If you find yourself thinking that you don't need to include something because it's "not important" or any other reason, force yourself to write it down anyway, then be sure to examine that thing more closely. You don't need to keep what you write down, by the way - sometimes knowing that you can immediately destroy your writing helps you to be more honest.

What to Watch Out For: As you work the SEP, your brain will not be happy, because it would rather have you stay in a familiar fearful state - so it might start to fight back. Worsening symptoms and new symptoms are very common experiences as people start seriously doing this work. Just know that this is a sign that you're getting somewhere and that it is a reason to rejoice - so keep the faith, and don't give up.

Good luck!

JanAtheCPA
    On behalf of the forum moderation team

Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
    lucieG, lindyr, Julie-Ellen and 11 others like this.
  2. deborah a burns

deborah a burns Peer Supporter

Jan Thank you for the words of encouragement. As usual I didn't really read things through but, will check into the 6 week program. I feel like I'm learning a new job. Patience and self talk ie; You can't fool me with your symptoms, I'm more clever than you could ever be, a lot of swearing etc. thanks again deborah

Jodie86 and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

That's a very apt analogy, Deborah - it IS like learning a new job! Sometimes it feels like another full-time job, too - but the rewards are worth it, believe me!

Keep us posted, we're all in this together.

Jan

deborah a burns likes this.
  4. deborah a burns

deborah a burns Peer Supporter

Hi, This has been a journey all right!!! I worked my way up to SEP 12 and have taken a break. Seeing my own therapist a lot. Working on emotions. I can't believe how tricky TMS can be. Moving all over the place. I've been doing my mantra. Coming along slowly. I can't thanks enough for all the incredible people on this site..How much time and energy you put in to this. Thank You

Francis.Antonius and JanAtheCPA like this.
  5. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

ive recovered a lot so far-i was almost broken 2 months ago-i know by starting this program i will finish healing-thanks for the support-

Edited 2/6/13/- man how time flys -since ive wrote the above clause i have become totally healed and on top of that my understanding of mind and body has gone through the roof-
    wow im still on fire for all the blessings-aint you

6. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

Hi ! I am here ! New and excited ! I have already seen and felt good results ! YAY !

kevin95630 likes this.
  7. Eric "Herbie" Watson

jilly congradulations,stay the course,-im so excited your hear-ive been so busy posting at tmshelp and putting my learning into practice that i havent updated
    here since i put my initial first post-so with that said-ive healed fully-its been about 5 or 6 weeks since i got the understanding and healing doun
    -stay the course and you will fully recover.....the main objective is to 'stay the course' before and after you fully mend so you will maintain it,
    i have learned the same "magic potion" that healed me is what keeps me healed-the understanding,i got it,now to continue the journey...........

Jilly likes this.
  8. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

Hi Eric, Thank You so much for your encouraging words ! I am so happy to hear your you've gotten good results. I hope my "Magic Potion" continues as well ! What is TMS HELP ? I am so interested in learning all I can !

9. Eric "Herbie" Watson

its another tms forum called tmshelp where we go and write about our breakthroughs and our letdouns,ideas ,concepts,insights....
    if you get questions out here and there it will help you-but i really like the forum here and the tms/ppd structural program-they compliment each other if you ask me
    anyways-keep us updated-if you have any questions the general forum will be awsome-talk to ya soon

Jilly likes this.
  10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Eric, hi. What's the "magic potion?" I'd like about a gallon to hasten my pain free back breakthough
    after 8 weeks of close but not quite.

Jilly likes this.
  11. Eric "Herbie" Watson

ok -youve been at it 8 weeks -its took you 35- 40 yrs to get here -we have to talk mind body-so first my magic potion was awareness-acceptance-re-leasing or letting go -for you it might be another set of concepts-its all in the structural program and sarnos books/what studys or concepts or new ideas have you been learning?if you have any questions about how i use these 4 concepts -no problem-let me know

NolaGal and Jilly like this.
  12. Eric "Herbie" Watson

by the way-im going to start posting as i go thru the program-im into this all the way-

Jilly likes this.
  13. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I'm a wee bit older... 82 and a half. You're right though, that it took me all those years to amass a good supply of reasons for my TMS.
    Every day when I journal I think of more to add. I did have a problem the first 4 weeks in not believing my TMS is totally from
    repressed emotions. A part of me held onto the belief that my back had some structural problems from aging. I've been talking very
    firmly to my subconscious about that and it seems to be helping. The back pain lessens. But I've always been impatient. Like the old song,
    I want what I want when I want it!" So was your magic potion "just" believing 100 percent that your repressed emotions caused
    your TMS pain?

Jilly likes this.
  14. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I've been doing the Sarno HEALING BACK PAIN daily reminders (p. 82) and also have read and re-read his THE MINDBODY PRESCRIPTION,
    and have been following the 6-week program by Dr. Scott Brady in PAIN FREE FOR LIFE. I'm also reading Steve Ozanich's THE GREAT PAIN PERCEPTION. My subconscious seems hard to convince, but I'll keep at it. My philosophy always has been NEVER GIVE UP.

douggie, Kathleen and Jilly like this.
  15. Eric "Herbie" Watson

thats it walt-stay the course-the cure is in your willingness to learn-perceive and accept -so much more-i believe you have the magic potion in that ton of tms info and healing concepts like when steveo focuses on another body part while in pain just to know he could eventually control the pain-do everything you learn-do it all the time all day if you can-is there any one thing you cant grasp yet

Jilly likes this.
  16. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I think I grasp it all and need to just keep telling my subconscious I believe the pain is 100 percent from my repressed emotions.
    My year-older sister is in a wheel chair (she probably has TMS) and neighbors and friends in their 70s and 80s are
    walking with canes or walkers or are in wheel chairs. I've begun to believe their aches and pains are not from aging but from TMS.

I don't walk with a cane or use a walker or wheel chair, and take my darling dog Annie for a walk every morning, and drive to the mall to do my own grocery shopping, do my own cooking and house-cleaning with minimum back pain. So I do believe I'm getting there.

Kathleen, NolaGal, veronica73 and 3 others like this.
  17. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

Great talk you guys !

18. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Hi, Jilly. Sarno People are some of the most caring people I've ever met. You and Eric are very welcome new members of the club.
    I became one about two months ago and have learned so much from the members, some of whom are doctors and authors of TMS books, and Forest and others who do so much for us all.

I think some of the best things I get from the forums are the exchange of "progress reports" which keep inspiring us.

Jilly likes this.
  19. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

Oh I agree completely ... I've been so happy with the progress, advice, guidance, support...pleasure to meet you both * hugs

20. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I love hugs. Thanks. Hugs to you, too.