1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Steven Ozanich TMS and Pop Culture

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Steve Ozanich, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Another reference to Dr. Sarno in pop culture! On Season 6 Episode 11 of Netflix show Orange is the New Black one of the inmates has back pain for clearly psychological reasons and another inmate tells her about Dr. Sarno.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Lizzy likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

For anyone who felt or feels abandoned, especially by a parent when they were a child,
    I saw a wonderful episode about it in the tv series "Wings" from season 2, episode 20
    called "Mother Wore Stripes."

Airline owners Timothy Daly and Steven Weber were abandoned by their mother
    when they were boys. She shows up at their airport and wants forgiveness.
    Weber, the younger son, forgives her, but older Daily just can't.

Eventually, Daly does forgive her, after they all do some soul-searching.

I'll see if I can include the video here. It's from YouTube's series of videos on "Wings."

MWsunin12 and Dorado like this.
  3. Emerald

Emerald New Member

4. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

Emerald
    Yes, I do think this could be TMS.
    On 1/1/17 I suffered from a seeming allergic reaction and had to be rushed to the emergency room. My airways were closing and other allergic symptoms such as blotchy hands, arms and intense itching were also part of my symptoms. I am not young and even the allergist I eventually went to see said this type of reaction is not usual in someone my age. I was given epinephrine, etc and after a couple of hours was sent home. After a couple of weeks I was tested for a variety of allergens and none showed any allergic response. Curiously, however, a few months later I had the same reaction when I was talking to someone about the book I was reading on TMS (Ovanich's The Great Pain Deception). I felt the same symptoms coming on and had enough wherewithal to ask my husband to come into the room and just gently rub my back while I practiced some calm breathing. The sensation passed in a few minutes. As a follow up, I discovered that every time I began talking to an interested person about this book I noticed my breath and a resulting breathlessness even more. I just kept at it and over the year, I no longer find this troubling me.
    So for me, this 'allergic reaction' was TMS. My brain reacting to this 'new' thought pattern of mine and 'blocking' my new thought patterns about my physical issues by creating breathing issues. However, allergies are not my normal physical issues, but this event still brought home for me the power of my mind.
    Lainey

LisaMBK22 likes this.