1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Running with TMS

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by blimpy, Oct 14, 2013.

1. blimpy

blimpy New Member

Hello all...this is my first post. Just a little background on me...I used to live an extremely active lifestyle. I had just completed my first marathon and continued to play volleyball almost every night of the week. My life changed one day when I somehow injured my ankle during one of my games. Long story short, after a few months, I had arthroscopic surgery that seemed to have fixed the problem. But as I was getting back into running again (volleyball was out of the question), my lower back started to hurt. After my runs, my back would get tight and would occasionally spasm with some sharp pains. This continued to get worse and worse until I had to eventually stop running all together. I would wake up with sharp pains...even driving over bumps in the road would kick off a sharp stab. Now every day, I feel an ache with occasional sharp pains if I move the wrong way. Doctor's found a bulging disc on my MRI, but that's it. After months of going to a Physical Therapist to no avail, and then another 7 weeks of chiropractic care...I found Dr. Sarno's book on TMS. I'm starting to believe that both my ankle and back are related to TMS, just due to the inconsistent location of where the pain is. I remembered that it was never in the same location in my ankle. Then when my back pain started, it was primarily in my lower-right back. Then one day I woke up and it had moved to the lower-left...and then sometimes my outer hips are hurting.

Well, as I'm trying to treat this TMS, I've started journaling nightly and decided to try to get back to activity. This weekend, I tried to give running a short go over the weekend. It wasn't anything special, just try to jog maybe 20-30 feet. (a far shot from 26.2 miles) The problem is that my back is already aching...and then every step during my jog, I feel a dull ache that reminds me that the pain is still there. I want to fight this, but I just don't know how. I've read different theories on what I need to do during my run. One suggestion was to accept the pain...but try to not let it affect you. But then, I think it was in one Dr. Sarno's books that stated I should think about my stresses that could be causing the pain and take it into the psychological realm. Or should I just try to completely ignore the pain and keep myself distracted with anything else (music? audio book?) I was able to complete my little jogging test and was happy that I did. I can tell the fear is still there...so I'm wondering how others have handled getting back into activity? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

blimpy)- I should think about my stresses that could be causing the pain and take it into the psychological realm. Or should I just try to completely ignore the pain and keep myself distracted with anything else (music? audio book?) I was able to complete my little jogging test and was happy that I did. I can tell the fear is still there...

Eric)- Think about your current stressors in life right now and journal about them , don't fear anything about the pain or anything structural. Get Sarnos books and read them again and again. Join the SEP here. Be happy on purpose. Don't be so hard on yourself, listen to good happy music and audio books about tms healing, or mp3s for that matter. Become one with life again. Do what you've always wanted to do even if you have to start at the very beginning, the act of trying to accomplish old goals will go along way to help you soothe. Listen to the Alan Gordon Program- http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/TMS_Recovery_Program and practice it ok, then you should start to get a hold of things. Your in the right place for sure- you do have tms. No use in trying to doubt that. The SEP is here- http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Structured_Educational_Program

Thanks...