1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Derek S. Could I have TMS??

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Guest, May 15, 2016.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    Could I have TMS?Three years ago I started with buttock pain that then went all over. Diagnosed with Fibro. Now I am diagnosed with Painful bladder syndrome. First while taking care of Father. Second after Fathers death. Been diagnosed bipolar since 18. Disabled with that since age 30. I have had every test. Bloodwork. Pain meds Nothing seems to help. I'm a stay at home Mom with a 5 year old. I have another stepson who stays and home schools. I sleep most days. Stay severely depressed and Husband works many long hours second shift. Any advice would be considered helpful. Desperate to live pain free. Read 3 Dr Sarno books. I feel it's TMS. Thank you. Candice

2. Derek Sapico MFT

Derek Sapico MFT TMS Therapist

Answer
    Hi Candice,

Thanks for your question. Firstly, I am so sorry to hear that you have been suffering so much. Pain and depression are closely linked and can feed off of one another.

What you are describing certainly sounds like TMS to me. I consider all of the diagnoses that you have received interchangeable with TMS. The lack of any clear structural cause for your pain along with your significant life stressors and co-occurring bipolar depression make a very strong case for a psychogenic explanation for your pain symptoms.

The first thing that I would do would be to get into therapy. Of course a TMS therapist would be preferable but if that is not possible for you, just get into treatment. Since you have a bipolar diagnosis, it is very important that you are under the care of a psychiatrist. There are very effective medications for bipolar depression and anything that decreases your depression will likely help your pain symptoms as well.

Furthermore, work toward certainty regarding the cause of your pain symptoms. Create an evidence sheet to help you to conceptualize your symptoms as psychogenic and use it during periods of doubt. Utilize the wonderful resources on the TMS Wiki including Alan Gordon's TMS Recovery Program and the Structured Educational Program to get you started on your path to recovery.

All the best.

-Derek

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Candice. I agree with Derek Shapiro that you should try to get some help for your bipolar problem, but I also would like to say that I have some friends with that and they are coping with it very well. One is self-employed, building and repairing computers and helping people with computer problems, like I have.

I think everyone lives with some emotional and physical problems. We have to accept them and not let them become the biggest things in our lives.

MWsunin12 likes this.
  4. CandyLu

CandyLu New Member

Ty for your advice. I am in therapy right now. We are working the mind body way. Just started. I have tried the medicine route for depression. Never worked for me. Too many reactions, but hopefully with the knowledge and working therapy I will be better. Ty again.

5. CandyLu

CandyLu New Member

Ty. I'm in therapy. I've been disabled with bipolar since 2005. Just started new mind body therapy and it seems to help more than medicine ever did. Ty for the help.
    Candy