1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Can Sinus problems be TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by beachygirl, Sep 18, 2013.

1. beachygirl

beachygirl New Member

I have just been reading to posts on Eye Problems and am pretty amazed about that. But it makes sense that your eye can change shape because of tension.

So my question is about sinuses. I think I read in Steve's book (there is so much info in that book I will need to read it several times) that sinus problems are a form of TMS. I have had sinus issues since I was 17. and am now 53.

They are not allergies (allergy meds do nothing, tried them all) Or Sinus infections. I have found 2 explanations over the years. One is that my immune system is attacking the fungus that we all have in our sinus creating a very stuffy nose with sinus pressure and headaches. Antifungals fix this. But it is constant and I don't want to take Diflucan on a regular basis.

The other reason for my constant stuffiness is not an allergy but a reaction to certain smells and foods. Wine and beer cause automatic stuffiness, as do any fermented foods, bleach or other chemical smells, as well as being in a different environment like someone else's car or home. Sudefed will unstuff me but again can't be living on it.

So what to do? Treat it like any other TMS symptom and ignore it? Will it eventually go away?? Or is there no telling.?? Will taking the diflucan and sudefed perpetuate the stuffiness by telling my mind I Don't think it is TMS?

Has anyone cured their sinus problems doing TMS therapy?

On another note, my Hubby has been noticing my enthrallment with The Great Pain Deception and my comments and furious markings in my book and
    has had me order him his own copy :)

Thanks for any insight.
    Barbara

TrustIt likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Beachygirl.

I have had what I think are sinus problems for years, usually more in the spring and fall.
    They may not be caused by allergies, but I've never gone to an allergist or nose doctor.
    I do know that weather forecasters are saying this year is the worst for outdoor pollutants
    such as pollens, rag weed, etc. in five years.

I haven't been taking any medication, not even an aspirin or Advil, or any allergy medication.
    I have just been figuring it's from TMS, probably from stress caused by work and bills.

My head throbs a little, feels stuffy, and I do blow my nose or sneeze at times.
    That may be allergies. I just hate to take any medication. I prefer to think it's TMS and
    tell myself to just relax and it will go away. The less I think about it the better.

The world has become so polluted. I think its just that. "just" !

3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Beachygirl,
    My TMS has taken many forms over the years including sinus problems. Before realizing I had TMS, I thought I had multiple chemical sensitivities, sinus infections, and allergies. As I've used the TMS healing techniques discussed on this forum, all my symptoms have improved dramatically including my sinus problems. It's up to you to decide if what you're experiencing is TMS or not, but I can say that in my case my sinus symptoms (and a host of other things) have just about disappeared since I accepted the TMS diagnosis and started doing the tough emotional work.

I wish you the best on your healing journey....

TrustIt likes this.
  4. NolaGal

NolaGal Peer Supporter

I used to have sinus problems every spring and fall. Since I stopped eating wheat (and most grains) I almost never have ANY issues at all. It's like having a whole new head! I think the pollen in spring and fall just put me over the edge, but if my body isn't dealing with certain foods then it can process the seasonal allergens. I'll get congestion and pain if I "cheat" with wheat (especially refined flour) OR... if I'm very stressed (like rushing to get ready for a trip.) I have no doubt there's an emotional component there.

I'd also like to say that I'm okay with not knowing the exact scientific "why" of everything. There's a lot about the human body we just don't know yet, and much of it won't be known for decades, if ever. It makes sense to me that darn near any physical issue could have an emotional component (because the mind and body are so interconnected) so I'm trying to pay just as much attention to what I'm "feeding my soul" as I do with what I eat, drink, breathe, and put on my skin. My husband and I are doing fewer TV shows and playing more board games. (We only watch online anyway - commercials stress me out!) I've recently almost quit Facebook completely, maybe checking in on close friends and family once a week or so. I'm focusing on being really "present" in my daily tasks and trying to "unlearn" the fine art of hurrying all the time. Finding out about TMS has changed SO many aspects of my life ;-)

TrustIt, Anne Walker and tarala like this.
  5. NolaGal

NolaGal Peer Supporter

Oh, by the way, beachygirl,

My first "breakthrough" in improving my sinuses came over twenty years ago when I got off the roller coaster of sinus medicine. It was tough for a few weeks but then my body's ability to process the "gunk" really improved. I continued to have seasonal issues until I changed my diet last year, but stopping that medicine helped tremendously. I also LOVE using a neti pot, although I haven't needed it in ages. It's kinda weird at first but I usually experience instant relief (just make sure to use purified or previously boiled water).

Just my $.02

6. tarala

tarala Well known member

It makes sense to me that even if something is not TMS, ie with a structural basis, we could still use it in the same way as a distraction from our emotions. I think where we focus our consciousness is where our reality deepens. Being drunk is physiologically measurable, but a lot of people use it to cover up fear, anger and sadness (had an alcoholic mother:().

NolaGal likes this.
  7. NolaGal

NolaGal Peer Supporter

Excellent example! SO true, too! (I have a line of alcoholic (step)fathers, myself...)

8. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Me too!

NolaGal likes this.
  9. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

I know tons of folks over the years that have had allergens cleared up by hypnotist.
    Its just a form of meditation as we do in mindfulness meditation.
    Feel and see yourself free from these allergies and you should start to see
    results in thirty days or so, maybe a little longer

Some folks have reactions to some foods that could kill them it gets so bad
    I believe the mind could be somewhat a part of that but
    not the swelling and burning of the skin ya know
    less that's somehow generated by the mind and it could be.

So id think if its not a life threatening allergen exposure
    why not try tms healing on it, I used it on Rocky Mt Spotted Tic fever
    I had the help of a 7 day supply of antibiotics too
    and im doing a ton better in 3 weeks.
    Some folks take a year to get better from it
    so I know my mindfulness focusing helped a lot.

Now I know the two are a bit different but allergic reactions are no joke
    So pursue with small test and really believe with faith that you can win
    and you will. Faith is always the dynamite to the tool box...

This is An awesome thread beachygirl-
    I usually get a summer cold due to allergies from the pollen here in Georgia each year
    This summer I was all around the pollen and didn't fear or focus on the thought that id get
    a cold and I didn't- loosing the fear thoughts of
    this conditioning was the right thing to do for me and it worked....

Whatever path you use -Good luck.....:)

NolaGal likes this.
  10. beachygirl

beachygirl New Member

thanks for all the good thoughts

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  11. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Nolagirl.

If you have not have sinus problems after stopping eating wheat and grains
    it sounds like you had a gluten problem, like my sister.

I posted a while back about gluten, if you want to look at it it,
    and some replies.

I'm allergic to Congress. Any suggestions?

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  12. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Ive been told you can take a big Pill Called " Congress relaxant Walt
    its sold by the bundle and can be really heavy and hard on the back
    if taken to seriously, its known to spread false rumors and the truth about
    the pill is really unknown since they wont let the public check the records
    in which this supplement was made, so we have no idea what's in it
    and the truth they say is harder to handle than the theories
    so id suggest tms healing here too Walt
    Since it has no side effects and its about the truth, no lies
    Thank God
    Love you man

TrustIt likes this.
  13. Lincoln900

Lincoln900 Newcomer

You have mast cell activation syndrome

14. TrustIt

TrustIt Well known member

[I am trying to pay as much attention to what I'm "feeding my soul" as I do with what I eat, drink, breathe, and put on my skin. My husband and I are doing fewer TV shows and playing more board games. (We only watch online anyway - commercials stress me out!) I've recently almost quit Facebook completely, maybe checking in on close friends and family once a week or so. I'm focusing on being really "present" in my daily tasks and trying to "unlearn" the fine art of hurrying all the time. Finding out about TMS has changed SO many aspects of my life ;-)[/QUOTE]
    I am doing same ...pulling off Facebook and long ago stopped TV and news. In fact many people I talk with are also doing these things. We are in information overload and confusion to boot. The futility of trying to find some truth is extremely stressful. The less I go to those places and continue with positive feedback to myself, the better I get every day. Patience is my challenge.