Please keep in mind that before treating any condition, including Leg Pain, as TMS or PPD, it is vitally important to consult with your physician in order to rule out any serious medical conditions. To learn more about TMS and PPD, and to help you figure out if you have it, visit our An Introduction to TMS page and watch the video there. Some more guidance in figuring out if this approach is right for you can be found in the video at the top of our So You Think You Might Have TMS page.
To contribute your own story of healing from TMS, please click here to see how to post it on the forum.
Leg Pain and TMS Success Stories
- Samthefish's story: Samthefish describes his symptoms and how they coincided with stressful events in his life. He then shares his recovery and highlights the strategies that helped him the most.
- An Amazon.com Customer says, " I had severe numbness and significant atrophy in my leg and foot. An MRI showed a herniated disc. My doctor said surgery was absolutely necessary or risk permanent nerve damage, and we scheduled it within a few days. A friend told me to read this book (Mind Over Back Pain) before I did anything else. I believed what Dr. Sarno was suggesting, that it wasn't permanent structural problems. I cancelled surgery and completely overcame the problems. It's been over 2 years with lots of activity (skiing, running, etc.)."
- Rick says, "I had terrible leg pain for 7 years. I thought it was due to my house building days and an injury I thought I had received from pulling a boat from the water. An Orthapedic surgeon said he could remove the so-called pinched disc. I chose instead to regularly visit a Chiropractor. Between Chiropractor visits I would consume numerous anti-flammitory pills. I also did Acupunture. Then I read "The Mindbody Prescription" by Dr. Sarno. During the course of reading this book, I could feel the pain easing up as I could relate alot of what he wrote to my situation. After reading it twice, I was virtually pain free. That was two years ago and I have been pain free since."
- Merridy says, " After many, many visits to an internist, orthopedist, and chiropractor, with the accompanying MRIs, for severe leg pain, I discovered Dr. Sarno's book (The Mindbody Prescription) online. It is a common sense, quickly understandable approach to healing yourself. My first pain-free day was after reading the first 20 pages! So I kept reading. That was 6 weeks ago. Today I am celebrating 3 totally pain free weeks. And now I am using the information to deal with headaches which is working."
- Dr Schubiner's Unlearn Your Pain also has a number of reviews from people who have overcome leg pain as a result of the TMS techniques in it:
- Chicago (19 July 2010) says, "I suffered severe injury to my Achilles tendon as a result of an overuse sports injury. Well, my Achilles did not get any better. In fact, I was in constant pain. It hurt when I walked, when I sat or laid down. The pain never stopped. I was unable to do any physical activity whatsoever.
I then came across a story on the internet about a young woman who injured her Achilles tendon while cheerleading and had similar problems with her Achilles as I did until she saw Dr Schubiner. This young woman described how the only thing that help her was applying Dr. Schubiner's mind-body principles and that Dr. Schubiner cured her Achilles problem. I immediately ordered Dr. Schubiner's book and as I was reading it I could literally feel my Achilles pain go away. It has been almost two months since I saw Dr. Schubiner and I have been absolutely PAIN FREE!!!"
- Mariah Newborn writes (December 201): "I had great success with this program. I had chronic pain in my hips with my left hip being in acute pain. This pain was more intense after I had been sitting or driving. I took Dr. Schubiner's four week class, worked with the journaling exercises in the book each week and practiced the suggested affirmations. After about 7 or 8 weeks the pain had diminished to 80 percent less. One day after getting out of my car and experiencing pain I looked down at my left hip and said, "I've had it and I am through with this pain." After that it was gone for good."
- S Murphy writes (24 September 2010), "I have suffered from chronic hip and leg pain for years. I had been to a number of different types of doctors and they have all told me the same thing, 'Your MRI is clean, why don't you try physical therapy?' After several rounds of therapy I still had found no relief. I then tried a series of injections that did not work. Dr Schubiner has taught me some techniques for managing the stress and I feel so much better as a result. I enjoy my life more now because I know how to control the pain when it flares up. I would recommend this treatment for anyone who wants to rid of their chronic pain. I am very thankful for this program and the fantastic results."
- Ninamal writes (1 September 2010): "I am a cyclist and in 1997 I started having pain in my left shin. I assumed it was an overuse injury, and immediately sought help from sports medicine doctors, chiropractors, neurologists, osteopaths, podiatrists, physical therapists, etc. In the end I went to over 40 different doctors, specialists, surgeons, therapists and healers. I had multiple MRI's, bone scans, compartment tests, x-rays and nerve tests. I eventually gave up cycling and running. The pain spread to my right leg and then began to travel up and down my lower body. Then I got a new GP who heard my story and immediately recommended Dr. Schubiner. I bought his book, met with him, began working his program, and within a week my pain had diminished by 80-90%."
Leg Pain referenced in TMS Books
Calf pain is described as sharp or stabbing and may be precipitated by certain weight -bearing activities, but not by others...I know this one from personal experience because this is what my brain hit me with after I eliminated my back pain and sciatica...I could bicycle 50 miles or do one hour on the Nordic Track, but I couldn't run 100 yards! After many vociferous discussions with my brain, I was able to get rid of this pain and have run five marathons in the past three years.
- From To Be Or Not To Be... Pain Free, by Dr. Marc Sopher, (Pages 91-92): Carla, a worrier, had a son who just left for college. She had had a difficult relationship with her father who recently passed away. At age 46, she had a series of issues including pains in her neck, back, leg, and feet for over two years. She had several spinal abnormalities which showed a disc herniation on the MRI. Her doctors prescribed her Neurontin to treat what they diagnosed as neuropathy. Carla's pain was so intense that she had to stop most of the activities she enjoyed like cycling and hiking. She went and saw Dr. Sopher and was symptom free after two months of learning about TMS.
We want your success stories and other input! Feel free to add them to this page. See About editing Symptoms & Diagnoses pages to learn how.
|DISCLAIMER: The TMS Wiki is for informational and support purposes only and does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment recommendations. See Full Disclaimer.