1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Which is the best plan to progress re TMS

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Eugene, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Eugene

Eugene Well known member

I'm increasingly convinced my problem is TMS related and so what to progress with some kind of plan.

I already have a copy of The Mindbody Workbook by David Schechter, which is a 30-day plan of questions to answer in a journal sort of format.

But then there's the also:

- Alan Gordon's TMS Recovery Program on this site

- Structured Educational Program - which is also on this site

- Georgie Oldfield's SIRPA Pain Recovery Online Programme (she's in the UK like me and not too far away), but at well over $200 it is the most expensive option, and from what I've read it just seems like an online manual.

- Dr. Howard Schubiner's Mindbody Program which I think is $100 and you seem to get prompts, videos, recorded meditations, and a forum. And it lasts four weeks.

And I'm sure there'll be some that I've missed.

I don't mind spending some money if it means I maximize my chances of success.

Your thoughts, and suggestions of anything I might have overlooked, would be much appreciated.

2. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

The subconscious mind is excellent at distracting us to keep us in our pain pattern. Indecision is one of its favourite tricks. So is procrastination. Pick one you have on hand and can access today and just get started. It's your subconscious mind telling you that you have to find the perfect program. It's that perfectionism thing again. Regarding the two programs on this site, I would suggest the Structured program (SEP). It's a nitty gritty course and it throws you right in there. I started Alan Gordon's recovery program this Monday, but it's not really structured. Gordon's program interests me because I have done other very structured programs and need some reinforcement of ideas to get rid of the last of my pain. I did Howard Schubiner's program and it was very good, but I'm not recommending it to you because you already have instant access to other programs. The meditations are nice, but you can find meditations for pain on Youtube or your library. I didn't realize it had a forum, never used it, but you already have us. If you find you need more after you finish the first program you start, then do another one. No big deal. "Inch by inch, life is a cinch."

3. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

The SEP is free and really great! highly recommend that. I also have the other books you mentioned but I think it just comes down to whichever you connect with best.

4. Eugene

Eugene Well known member

You are 100% right Eileen. My mind as completely had me invested in this pretty much full time for 18 months now. I'm not working at the moment so it just means there's more time to obsess over it :-(

It seems my decision has been narrowed down to the The Mindbody Workbook by David Schechter which I already have, and the Structured Program. The former has some interesting questions which I feel I need to answer, but the SP has more supporting text, which I'm sure would be a big help in keeping me focused. Argh! It's make my mind up time.

5. Eugene

Eugene Well known member

Thanks for the suggestion. I am connecting with everything so need to make my mind up. I'm tempted just to do The Mindbody Workbook by David Schechter and the Structured Program at the same time, but then I worry whether this is demonstrating some kind of TMS personality trait.

I'm not working at the time so I have way too much time to focus on this, and I am so desperate to get it sorted out that it's tempting to think the more time I spend on it the more chance I have of success, but something in me tells me this is the wrong approach.

6. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

I was going to suggest doing them at the same time when I read you aren't working. Don't worry about whether or not doing both is a TMS personality trait. If you start both, at least you have started, and you might find you put one to the side as you are more drawn to the other. I believe the more time you spend on it the better as long as you aren't doing it at the expense of having fun. The group course I took last year cost me $2,000 so I threw myself into it. I wasn't going to waste any of that money and immersion really paid off. Having said that, just because you start two courses at once, if you find two at a time too much don't be someone who refuses to quit something even though they hate it and it's exhausting. I'm not that much of a perfectionist, but it is a perfectionist trait.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  7. Eugene

Eugene Well known member

Thanks Eileen.

I've been focusing mainly on the Workbook so far, but tomorrow will try and catch up with the couple of days I've missed of the Structured Program. I would have got further through it but I made a start on Georgia Oldfield's book.

8. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

The programs are part of the problem. Once I get people away from them they tend to heal faster. I realize that some have been helped by them, they have a purpose. But as with anything balance is king. Tylenol may relieve some symptoms but you don't take the whole bottle.

It stems from the seeking of solutions from the outside. The program is intended to take you inside. Like a guru whose job is to take you to yourself not to himself. People rely on programs to save them and that's where they become the problem. If they are used as a tool to guide you then they serve a worthy purpose. People regularly contact me saying, "I did all the programs and they didn't work!!" This is also due to "readiness," no one heals until they are ready no matter how valuable the advice handed to them.

So as far as which program is best it's most often based on belief, not only in the program but also in the person behind the program. Each connects the individuals together which is the reason for the symptoms, the disconnect. The best program is the one you believe in, or connect with. It's not doing anything except what you believe it is. Most people don't believe in journaling so it doesn't work that often. But those who like it, believe in it and use it as a tool in the process benefit greatly.

The value in anything comes from you, there are many good paths to the end game, but you can't get to the right destination on the wrong path. So weed out the wrong ones first. The danger is in the TMSing, that is, trying many programs, or fixating on one. Remember why the TMS exists; to distract you.

SteveO