1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Ups and downs

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Ryan, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan Well known member

Wanted to hear some input. I have been in a roller coaster ride the past 4 months. Although I have been getting better in general. I have been having some great days, but as soon as I have a couple of good days its followed by some bad days. It's like as soon as I feel I am almost healed I fall back. Then the doubt and fear slip back into my mind. I have been also struggling a lot with wanting to be accepted by others and am worried what others think. I am constantly thinking and have a lot of what if thoughts going through my head. I am coming to realize that my tms pain is brought on by my fears and anxiety, but dont know how to control it well. It's like I cannot get the confidence and peace back within my self. I am not by any means saying I think every day should be a good day because I know that's not realistic. We are all human and will have bad days. It's just when the bad days hit I can't get out the rut for a while.

2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Edward likes this.
  3. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Ryan,
    Take your time and you'll notice that slowly things will get less intense and that it will become easier to 'pick yourself up'.
    The falling back after being almost 'symptom free' is an often heard pattern. It is as if the mind notices that the lack of distraction by symptoms is dangerous and wham, back they come. Don't become discouraged, it is pretty normal to experience that. You already learned a lot by recognizing that fear and anxiety are your culprit, many people never will. From now on you need to learn how to tackle it. This can be done by techniques like visualization, positive affirmations (I accept myself, I appreciate myself, I love myself), meditation (a lot of -ations :) ) but most importantly by taking your time and learning to not become too bothered about what others think about you. Sounds simple, it is simple when you look back one day, but it takes time and some effort.
    I also suggest following the program and Claire Weekes' words are golden when it comes to fear and anxiety. Read her book and listen to her words, it really helped me when I was where you are now.
    take care and take your time,
    Giga

Ellen and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Ryan.
    Herbie's advice is good.
    Look at the sites he suggested
    and spend some time with the Claire Weekes audios. She's great.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  5. Ryan

Ryan Well known member

Thanks for the advice everyone, herbie I have done the tms recovery program and am currently doing the SEP. I am on day 21 and have listened to some of Claire weekes. I guess it will just take time to heal. Gigalos thanks for all the techniques I will definitely try them.

6. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

ok great to know all the info ryan9546. Super, now all you have to do is when you have a bad day -- just go with it and know that you will be better soon. At this time while your in pain stop fearing or focusing on the body. You will come out of the pain quicker if you just ride it through. Like a cold, they will come on, last a few days and leave. That is the same way the pain is doing and its baffling you. So don't be misled by the healing process ok. 3 steps forward and 2 steps back is the healing curve. We all have to go through that. Gigalos gave the best advice.
    Bless You