1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Update on my back pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by ClearMind, Apr 20, 2013.

1. ClearMind

ClearMind New Member

I've read Sarno's books but after having my pain return several months ago, I picked up Fred Amir's book and that worked very well for me. So well in fact, I'm happy to report I've had no back pain whatsoever since shortly finishing his book.

I have had a TMS equivalent come back recently though, and was looking for some feedback on that. Three days ago, I began having a headache. Tylenol didn't do anything for it. Headaches scare me because my father had a stroke at a young age that left him paralyzed and had been experiencing headaches in the days prior to his stroke. I think my subconscious is aware of this, and has been using it against me. I never get headaches - ever. It seems to be getting better, but I still feel a bit of pressure in my head.

I also have started getting shin splints after walking a fair distance (I work in NYC and have to walk a fair distance each day). It could be a TMS equivalent or perhaps I just need a pair of better shoes.

However, the timing of these two equivalents is convenient. I'm taking a difficult exam in a month that I have spent the better part of 6 months preparing for. I've been able to stick pretty closely to the schedule I created for myself, and am in a good position as far as material covered. However, I need to maintain a pretty demanding study schedule over the next month to stay on track and I find myself constantly thinking about the exam. I'm sure it's related.

The slight pressure/cloudiness seems similar to generalized anxiety, which I have a long history of. I can recall feeling like this in the past and it usually never lasts more than a week so I'm just going to wait it out and try to ignore it while implementing some of Fred Amir's tactics.

I'm 27 and in good health, so I don't think it is a real medical condition. I've seen plenty of doctors to know I don't have high blood pressure, etc. I actually had a sonogram of my heart when I was experiencing palpitations that have coincidentally gone away with my back pain.

I think I've just been caught off guard making such tremendous progress with my back pain so rapidly after finishing Amir's book that it's hard to imagine a TMS equivalent of headaches sneaking up for an attack, but all is fair in love and war.

I'm sure I've been on edge a little more as well since the Boston bombings. Security in NYC is much more pronounced and I work across from the Freedom Tower so it's always in the back of my head having lost a good friend on 9/11.

Hope everyone is well.

2. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

How long after your back pain went away did you get headaches and shin splints? Splints are absolutely TMS. Headaches are a paragon of TMS. It appears that the Symptom Imperative has struck again. I think the SI was Dr. Sarno's most brilliant observation. But I think the most important concept he put forth was "the divided mind."

Fred's book was an important tool in my recovery too. The fact that you got rid of back pain so efficiently is good news that you can heal from anything. Use the same techniques.

Good luck on your exam. All may be fair in love and war, but not on exams!

Steve