1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMS headache v losing my mind

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Marls, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Marls

Marls Well known member

Hi all. I’m not a poster, bit quiet, but today’s been a bit of a final straw and I need some support. 10 years ago I had a bad chiro move and damaged facial nerves. Had medication which I took only as needed which helped with nerve pain so life was ok. Two years ago I felt very bullied at local club and woke up with severe facial/neck pain BUT medication didn’t touch it. Did the rounds from reiki to professor of neurology. Not only no relief but steadily getting worse. Discovered Sarno and forum a year ago and knew I was “home”. Worked through program, read books, success stories, but a month ago when I really felt confident I got hit with a both barrels n pain struck both sides of my neck and head. Lately my half face n neck have recruited my brain to their cause and I feel weak and totally confused. Even trouble talking, concentrating, caring even. It’s the old “can’t believe this is happening to me”. MRIs assure me of no brain issues but tonight I would swear I have a tumour. I’m 65, otherwise healthy, happy and contented. Just stuck with a shit head, neck and now brain. Guess I would just like to hear from anyone who has had these kind of numbing headaches to convince me I’m not going insane and to give me the lift I need to do it again tomorrow. Thanks heaps x

2. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

Maris,

There are many people online who report that their never pain got worse or spread to other parts of their bodies.
    I've had nerve pain do the same. Reading Dr. Sarno and Steven Ozanich as well as other TMS literature reminds me that
    the factor that creates more pain is fear.
    Right now you are afraid that you are stuck with this pain, which is sending the signal to your brain to keep it going.
    Thoughts of tumors and your neck recruiting your brain are sending panic signals to your nervous system.

You're not going insane, but you're grasping for a reason so that you can be cured. This adds to the panic signals.
    Panic can also bring on all the other things: lack of concentration, feeling weak, and having a hard time caring.

I would encourage you to simplify back to the basics. Read the Sarno books, again. Read through Alan Gordon's TMS program which is right here on the forum.
    Don't project that you will have the same pain tomorrow. Expect it to end because you are going to pay attention to your emotions / psychological self.

You already have the "clear" from the MRI. Trust that this is TMS.

wishing you the best,
    Marcia

JanAtheCPA and Ellen like this.
  3. Marls

Marls Well known member

Thank you Marcia, I think I was just in a dark place last night. Things had been on the improve and then whammo. But I feel relaxed about the process and back on track, and back to feeling positive. And you are right about back to basics, it seems to create a sense of calm. I must remember that in case I trip up again. Thanks again

MWsunin12 and JanAtheCPA like this.