1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Teetering

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by birder, Feb 19, 2018.

1. birder

birder Well known member

I've had such a miserable flare of my neck, jaw, and tooth pain that I dread getting up in the morning. For the first three days, I didn't give in to the fear. But day 4 is always my nemesis - the point where I start thinking physical and googling my symptoms. I've worked on distracting myself with new projects, and that's helped, but seriously, the pain is so relentless. Difficult to talk, chew, and smile - the things that make one feel human. I guess I'm in full fear mode, wondering when this will let up - and if it will. Can't bring myself to work on the SEP. Thinking about going to the chiro for the placebo effect. I just need some relief.

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I hear your frustration, birder. And, you know, why not go to the chiro? Use the time to visualize the power of the "laying on of hands". There is immense power in the healing touch - it's one reason that the placebo effect is so effective, and in my opinion, it should not be dismissed as meaningless. There are researchers working on trying to harness the placebo effect, but of course it's not going to be funded by Big Pharma.

A lot of MDs think that chiropractic is dangerous, but it's not nearly as invasive as taking meds or having surgery imho. Some might recommend massage instead, however - that's something to consider.

In the meantime, there is a ton of awesome advice on this thread:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/help.17985/ (Help)

MindBodyPT and birder like this.
  3. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Sweetheart,

Flare-ups are entirely normal and a part of the healing journey so the most important thing is not to get too upset about them. The very best thing to do is embrace the nurturing practices that work for you and take some time out to rest.

When my trigeminal nerve flares I take painkillers, make a hot water bottle to gently rest my face upon and I either repair to bed or make a nest on the settee and watch movies. I don't fret about anything, I simply give myself some time-out. I let the nerve calm, let muscles relax, and mostly I let my mind hold onto the surety that this will pass.

It's taken me a while to learn how best to handle these horrible experiences but I'm pretty good these days. In the past it could take weeks to calm whereas now it's usually overnight or a handful of days at most. You learn a lot about your unique relationship with TMS at these times so keep heart and mind open and do your best to relax.

Remember that Dr. Google is a fearmonger and fear is fuel for TMS. Placebos are fine and not something to get hung up on. If something helps you then it's ok. It does well to have a repertoire of self-soothing practices, some to employ on a day-to-day basis and more crucially those that you use during flares. Over time you'll hone these healing skills.

Sending love xx

Ellen, MindBodyPT and birder like this.
  4. iwire

iwire Peer Supporter

Hi Birder,
    I can identify with how you are feeling.... and with not feeling like working on the SEP. I am not sure if you have been doing Alan's program-- but I am wondering if revisiting some of his early comments and videos would be reassuring to you. Last night I went back to this one http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/day-4-breaking-the-pain-cycle.16459/ (New Program - Day 4: Breaking the Pain Cycle) (New Program - Day 4: Breaking the Pain Cycle), . Doing this kept me from googling....... and offered me comfort--- not from the pain-but from the fear. I followed up this one with two more.... and then with a meditation for relaxation. Remind yourself of the progress you have made. You have been taking such good care of yourself....you have been working so hard to uncover the mysteries of your TMS--- I think some would say they aren't surprised that your brain would rear up with some major symptoms right now.....I am sending you calm thoughts for coping ---just Breathe..... and then breathe again....... and then breathe again......

birder likes this.
  5. birder

birder Well known member

All these kind comments boost my spirits, and iwire, this makes total sense to me. I'm just feeling bombarded by my pain and fear, as if I dug so deep into my psyche that I unleashed all this hurt on myself, like Pandora's box. Even having back spasms, which is a brand new symptom, so I can't can't get comfortable in any position. Have a hot pack and a good dog. And Alan Gordon - love him!

6. birder

birder Well known member

Holy moly, I went back to "Breaking the Pain Cycle" as iwire suggested, and Alan's description of his nightly walks is EXACTLY what I do - and how I think. I'm monitoring the pain and letting it determine my mood. Okay, makes sense.

7. birder

birder Well known member

This sounds like wonderful self-care. I will try it (I just finished "Downton Abbey" if you have any recommendations for a series that's equally absorbing).

8. birder

birder Well known member

Good advice, Jan - thank you!

9. iwire

iwire Peer Supporter

I have been having a very difficult time not monitoring my symptoms too.... checking in first thing when I wake up in the morning-- and feeling disappointed when I realize they haven't gone...... it has helped a lot to review Alan's program and the Unlearn your pain program-- I haven't come to the end of either one---- I keep backtracking!

10. eskimoeskimo

eskimoeskimo Well known member

This is me too. I'm sure I've walked enough miles to circumscribe the globe, the whole time telling myself I'm practicing "not caring" when really the only thing I'm doing the whole time is monitoring my pain down to the finest gradations and allowing what I notice to complete determine my mood and, most of all, my outlook regarding the future. I still can't say I know exactly how not to do that (it seems like I manage to make everything outcome dependent somehow), but maybe if we take a broader view, each of us recognizing in the other this fear feeding behavior, it can help us to recognize it in ourselves.

birder and iwire like this.
  11. birder

birder Well known member

Oh yeah, I'm right there with you practicing the "not caring" when I'm really mentally noting every sensation. That's a really astute observation. I'm game to watch for fear-feeding behavior - there's strength in numbers!

eskimoeskimo and iwire like this.
  12. birder

birder Well known member

So, I was at the chiropractor today. It went something like this:
    Chiro: (takes a look) Ah. I see.
    Me: What? What do you see?
    Chiro: That we have some work to do here.
    Me: Well, of course you're going to say that.
    Chiro: Because I'm trained to see these things. (four minutes of cracking ensue).
    Chiro: Okay, how does that feel?
    Me: (Flexing a bit) Okay I guess.
    Chiro: Check out at the front desk.
    (I check out. Fifty bucks for four minutes. I need to get into this gig.)

plum and JanAtheCPA like this.
  13. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

:hilarious: ack, not a lot of laying on of hands or healing touch there, eh? I guess I had a better chiropractor, back in the day when I did that. But I have to admit, I quit, cold turkey. I do have a marvelous PT, however, who practices something called Soma - it's kind of an all-over alignment thing that I really like, and I have a standing appointment every three months. No bone-cracking involved.