1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

struggling to accept

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Nate, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Nate

Nate Peer Supporter

Hi again, i was jus wondering hwo to learn to accept TMS? As i dont have a physician that i can be evaluated by? so i am struggling as i think well how do i know by talking over skype etc? i do seem to have alot of the traits and u have only been told to try physio etc there has been no major problems with my xrays in which i have been told needs surgery right away so am thinking thats there is actually no big problem and that my tought process seems to keep me in a very real pain cycle. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you in advance :)

2. AngK

AngK Peer Supporter

Hi, Nate. I'm new to this forum also.
    Just wondering, why are you having trouble accepting TMS? Is it that you're nervous about diagnosing yourself? B/c I had to do this also and these are what made me feel more confident about my "diagnosis":
    1) No other reasonable explanation for my symptoms - I had all tests/imaging done which gave no real answers
    2) My symptoms move around. A week or two of back pain, then hip pain, then arm pain, then foot pain, then all four of them.
    3) A nueromuscular massage therapist found all kinds of trigger points all over my body that referred pain & duplicated my symptoms, including the numbness. These trigger points - knots in muscles - are absolutely the cause of my symptoms. The question was: why do I have them? And TMS, I believe, is the reason. Note: Sarno says tender points, others say trigger points.. a muscle knot by any other name is still a muscle knot :) I no longer go to her but her initial evaluation was crucial in my acceptance of TMS.
    4) History of other TMS symptoms: headaches, stomach trouble, asthma, which come & go in cycles
    5) TMS personality traits
    Once I checked off the boxes I felt TMS was a logical conclusion.
    Hope this helps! Good luck!

3. Nate

Nate Peer Supporter

It does help thanks. I haven't had someone check trigger points although I strangely believe this is what happens to me. My Osteo has jus started practicing it so I'm awaiting my next appointment for it. I'm also a huge hypochondriac which doesn't help lol

4. Stella

Stella Well known member

Hi Nate,
    It really helped me reading Dr Sarno's books. His Healing Back Pain and The Mind Body Prescription are 2 of the best. I knew something was going on when I felt a Slight relief in pain. I read the book again which reinforced the belief in me.

It is natural to have some doubt. Reading the success stories here on the TMSwiki may also help. In the Midwest there is no TMS doctor of any kind but I was able to convince myself removing all doubt.

Are you considering starting the 37 day Structured Education Program?

5. Nate

Nate Peer Supporter

Hi stella, yes i am currently on day 2 of the structured program as i usually need specifics lol i guess my biggest and hardest thing to accept is that people have said that there was no real reason for the pain but it was there, but then i think some of the things that came up on my x ray such as retrolosthesis L5 S1 and mild disc degeneration could be abnormal? or are these the normal abnormalities Dr Sarno talks about?? In the 2 1/2 years of pain i had a 10 month gap where i was about 80% pain free and even though not much pain i still felt i couldnt move the same and was always very cautious fearing another major episode. In feb this year i gained the courage to do what what makes me feel good (lifting weights) very cautiously may i add and everything was goin pretty ok and then i done leg press maybe a bit too heavy but felt the pressure on my SI joint (which is where my pain is) and i got off the machine and thought oh probably shouldnt have pushed it as i felt the dredded twinge (like sciatica i would imagine) then sure enough over the next few days it just got worse and worse and i have been dealing with it since then. I will say in the last 4-5 days i have been feeling less pain since i have been doing my homework on TMS but i would be lying if i said im not still very cautious and always thinking about it.oh and i also had a osteo tell me that tail bone jams up and my right hip a little tilted although other people that have looked at my xrays have never mentioned anything of that. The osteo has given me relief at times but is that cause i believe he has? never the less the pain always creeps back? sometimes the osteo helps and sometimes it doesnt? its kinda like exercise sometimes i do things like lunges for insatnce and i feel great after and so i do it again the next day or day after and makes me feel worse. its probably funny to hear all this as maybe i am the perfect person to suffer this yet i still doubt myself. Sorry for the long story but i guess if i let it all out there its easier for some of you great people to help me guide myself through it. Still havent got the books but im trying just that everywhere seems to be a long delivery time so trying to find it locally. thanks for your reply too :)