1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

So My Problem Finally Has a Name

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by AZTMSGuy, Jun 12, 2015.

1. AZTMSGuy

AZTMSGuy New Member

First things: M/39/AZ

So I've apparently had TMS for at least 5-10 years. Like most people I spent years looking for a medical answer to my problem... I have trigger points - get injections, I have stiff sore muscles - get a Jacuzzi, I never want to exercise - site on the couch.

Read Dr. Sarno's book, very informative. Thought that something might change after reading it and accepting that I have TMS, but apparently nothing happened.

So now I've started walking every morning to get some sort of exercise (I work at a high stress desk job). And that makes me feel better right after but then its like TMS debilitates me by messing with a knee, or a weird ankle sprain even though I didn't fall. It's like it knows that I want to fix myself but screws with me every step of the way.

I tried finding a Dr in AZ that might help me treat the mental issues I apparently have :) but can't find anyone. Can one of you fine folks point me in the right direction? I could do in person in Phoenix, or I'm willing to do the phone thing. But do these Dr's take health insurance? And/or would seeing a regular therapist help?

Thanks for the help!

IrishSceptic likes this.
  2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

3. David88

David88 Well known member

Hi AZTMSguy,

Welcome to this site.

I've been skypeing with a TMS therapist and it works fine, better than by phone, almost as good as in person. Visual communication with the therapist is important to me.

You will have to educate a regular therapist about TMS. Many don't understand how pervasive the physical symptoms can be. Bring in The Divided Mind and have him/her read the chapter on treatment by Arlene Feinblatt. Make sure they're on board.

Insurance depends on each practitioner. You just have to ask.

David.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, ATZMSGuy.

Yes, the name of your pain is TMS. I hope you can talk to a TMS therapist, but if not, the Sarno and other books
    and posts on this web site can heal you. It takes total belief in TMS.

Search for repressed emotions that may go back to your childhood but may be triggered by something recent.
    Or an on-going emotional stress. Journaling helps you to discover them.

And think positive. Don't let fear that you won't heal distract you. Breathe deeply and put your mind on imaging
    that you are in your favorite place and are happy.

5. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

6. AZTMSGuy

AZTMSGuy New Member

Thanks for the help guys! Ya I would have preferred a real "in-person" session but I guess Skype is the next best thing. Let me ask you all a few questions.

1. How fast did relief come (days,weeks,years)? And yes I understand everyone's story is different.
    2. What percentage of relief do you get? 20% 80% 100%?

I will tell you a funny story though... My primary care doctor told me that: Whatever you have is pretty bad, but if it was really bad, you'd probably be dead by now...

I was like... REALLY REASSURING. It took me up until now to find out that I have TMS. It's amazing to me that only a small number of doctors know about this stuff, and even fewer to help fix it.

Final question. Aside from getting therapy, what are the #1 things I can do to stop the muscle restrictions/knots? It seems like every time I try to exercise I injure something (or it's my mind). Suggestions on this would be fantastic!

7. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

It would take a sea-change in "modern" medicine, no money in it for the medical-industrial complex to tell "dis-eased" people that there's nothing structurally wrong with them, that's it stress. It would take healing out of the hands of the white-coats and give it to the patients and psychotherapists.

8. David88

AZTMSguy,

I have been working with my current therapist for about a year. It was at the nine month mark that I started to see that change was really happening, both in the quality of my relationships and the way I felt about myself. I still have physical symptoms, but they interfere much less in my life, which is really the best measure of recovery. I'm aiming for 100% relief, though I still have a lot of work to do.

David.

9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, David. The total 100 percent belief that our pain is caused by TMS is one of the hardest roadblocks most people have in healing. I had the same problem. I believed about 90 percent in TMS but thought about 10 percent was structural from my age since I was 82 when I got severe back pain.
    It was not structurally caused so I finally believed the remaining 10 percent was also TMS and the back pain went away. It took some time to convince my subconscious but it must have finally gotten convinced. I think it helped a lot when I journaled and discovered childhood repressed emotions going back to when my parents divorced when I was seven.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  10. AZTMSGuy

AZTMSGuy New Member

Well I can tell you that I don't have a very fond childhood... And I can tell you that reading up on TMS I'm 100% convinced that my father currently has it (Though we don't have a relationship). So I'm sure a lot of this has to do with that... Can't wait to dig all that up. I'm sure it will be a long road but I can't stand these trigger points. They seriously cripple my ability to function.

11. David88

You're on the right track. Let us know how things go.

12. AZTMSGuy

AZTMSGuy New Member

Will do, I plan on calling a couple people on monday. I should ask too... of the Dr's listed on the site what is better for treatment? A MD or a Therapist? And sorry one last nagging question. Do you guys get muscle spasms all the time? Not like a charlie horse type of cramp. But just muscles twitching all over. I seem to get them mostly at night or when I stretch my arms etc.

Thanks again for all the help, I'm hopefully on the right path here.