1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 RSI and more

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by phil, Apr 11, 2015.

1. phil

phil Newcomer

Dear forum,

I'm from germany so please bear with me if my english sounds a little stilted at times.

I'm a 35 year old male and I've been suffering from wrist pain / RSI like symptoms for about 8 years now as well as a couple of frequently changing probably psychosomatic issues (bowl issues, unclear vision, muscle tension, memory and concentration issues, ...). Recently I've learned that I suffer from multiple allergies and celiac disease and hope that properly handling those will solve the fatigue issues that I've also been suffering from for as long as I can remember. To top everything of I'm also dyslexic but luckily I've mostly overcome that.

I first stumbled across TMS years ago and rejected it quickly for being unscientific voodoo I think. But for the last year I've been in psycho therapy (psychoanalysis - tried CBT before, didn't work out) and learned that I don't have access to many of my emotions (most notably almost all the positive ones) and somatize many of the negative ones. With what I've learned in therapy PPD fits my issues irritatingly accurate and I've felt notably better since learning about PPD.

All in all I haven't been in a good place in life for as long as I can remember and I often feel like I'm barely holding on and almost don't manage to handle my stressful job. But for the last year I've been trying to change that, to better my life by solving my issues and I hope that I'm on the right way.

Currently I'm not sure that all my RSI like issues are caused by PPD (still got one appointment with my orthopedist and rheumatologist to make sure there is nothing that has been missed thus far) or that all my other non-celiac, non-allergic issues are psychosomatic; however, I believe that while PPD and therapy may not be the only answer to my issues that they are the largest part of it.

Yours,
    phil

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Wilkommen, Phil! Dein Englisch ist sehr gut.

That's about the extent of my German:)

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Phil. Your command of English is excellent,
    much better than mine of German I learned in high school.

You've been doing a good job of getting checked out for structural problems
    and so far it looks like your pains are from TMS.

The Structural Education Program is excellent. You will learn how to discover
    the emotional problems that cause your pain. Often, it is in learning about
    repressed emotions going back to childhood, as I learned mine were.

Also, a stressful job can cause TMS, so you need to face that fact and see if
    you can relieve the stressful conditions. If you can't, maybe consider changing jobs,
    if that is at all possible.

I'm in a stressful job with a book publisher who is a huge perfectionist,
    but have learned not to let that upset me. I do my best work as fast as I can.
    I can't do any better than that.

I don't think you need to spend any more time or money on doctors and tests.
    Just believe 100 percent that TMS is causing your pain and you can heal.

Enjoy spring in Germany. I was there for a year when I was in the US Army
    in 1957 stationed in Frankfurt am Main, and loved it.

4. phil

phil Newcomer

Thanks everyone!

By the way, can anyone tell me if it is sufficient / recommended to just read the TMS Recovery Program and do the Structured Educational Program or should I also read the books by Dr. Sarno/Schechter/Brady to improve my chances of recovery? Thus far I feel like I got all the information I need from just the wiki and that I now primarily need instructions to act on.

5. Ryan

Ryan Well known member

Phil

Good question and one that I struggled with. To me once you gather enough knowledge, you have to stop searching for more. You have to get to work and make the necessary changes in your life. I frantically searched for answers, when in reality all I was doing was obsessing over finding a answer. The answer were right in front of me but out of FEAR and doubt I kept searching.

It's ok to read multiple books, because we do take time to soak in the tms knowledge. Many times were not able to accept the truth, only in bits and pieces. Once you have enough knowledge just keep using the techniques that work for you. There are many paths in healing, find what works. Then go live your life and have fun, do what makes you happy.

Ryan

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) and Ellen like this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Phil, I like Ryan's reply very much. Once we decide what our repressed emotions are,
    let it go. Don't keep digging because it can only be frustrating, thinking we have more repressed emotions,
    but we really don't. It's a tricky thing. I felt that I uncovered several repressed emotions and they helped
    heal me. Then I just concentrated on enjoying life.

Reading more success/TMS recovery stories in postings or books is very good, though.
    It helps reinforce our belief 100 percent that our pain is from TMS.

It won't hurt to spend time reading more books on TMS because you might come upon a
    strategy for healing that you didn't already know about. Dr. Sarno's books are great for informing
    us about TMS but I found, as others have, that we need to do more reading on techniques for healing
    TMS pain.

You will find lots of those techniques in the book I recently wrote with a TMS friend, Eric Watson,
    called God Does Not Want You to Be in Pain. We add the spiritual element which helped us to heal.
    It's in paperback and Kindle from amazonSmile books. That site donates a small percentage of sales to the TMSWiki.

7. phil

phil Newcomer

ok, that helps. Thanks for the directions you two.