1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 RN is learning

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Mamajennie, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Mamajennie

Mamajennie New Member

Hi. I'm a RN who is on day 1 of TMS program. I'm married to a MD and dare not even mention it at this point. I know he will be a skeptic and affect the way I feel about the program. I believe it, but I am afraid to hope that it will work for me. My biggest problems at this point are severe fatigue and TMJ pain and headaches. I think I have tried everything before finding out about TMS. Any encouragement you have for me would be super helpful.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. srilankamama

srilankamama Newcomer

welcome! i'm also on day 1 and happy to see that this forum is active. i heard about it from a friend who healed back pain. i am suffering from an injury i sustained while pregnant with my now-kindergartener! i love having big goals, but not telling people about them--i don't want to hear negativity or have their opinions sway me. so i understand why you wouldn't want to tell your MD hubs about this! i know medical marriages have a whole other level to them, so best wishes to you!!! <3

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome, to both of the new "mamas" waveawavea and please keep us posted with your progress! We're all in this together!

@Mamajennie, check out Dr. David Hanscom, MD. He's a highly-rated back surgeon in Seattle who actually retired from his surgical practice to concentrate on the mindbody connection. While in practice, he asked his patients to go through his "Back In Control" course (based on his own experience with TMS and having learned from Dr. Sarno) and he reported at one point that about 40% of patients were completing the program and cancelling their surgeries. The other MD to look at, of course, is Dr. Howard Schubiner, who is working hard to validate and prove the power of the mindbody connection over chronic conditions, focusing heavily on the neuroscience aspect of emotional repression. Both doctors are directors of the Psychophysiologic Disorders Association, at ppdassociation.org - which was organized specifically to spread the knowledge about TMS/MBS to the greater medical community. New discoveries in neuroscience are being made all the time, and the mindbody connection is making headway every day. If your husband doesn't already know something about this, he will soon. And, if YOU can fully believe in and commit to your own diagnosis of TMS (I would say that most of us here are self-diagnosed) you will be able to show him the truth about it soon enough.

You go, girls!

~Jan

Baseball65 likes this.
  4. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

All of us met with skepticism when we began the TMS journey. Most of us had been dealing with our issue(s) for years and when we announce to friends and family 'Hey... you know what? I think this is because of my repressed rage!' we were usually ridiculed or poo poo'd.

One of my funnest recovery moments was riding my bike to the Orthopedic institute , Jumping the curb and skidding to a stop next to my Physical Therapist... a couple weeks after I had difficulty walking.

The best proof is success. The only caveat I might give you being immersed in so much 'physical-speak' is to 'blah,blah,blah' it out of your head during your recovery. I just read JanAtheCPA 's link on Dr. Hanscom. Even reading words like 'surgery' and 'fusion' get me all tense. I can feel the words actually tightening up my body.

When Dr. Sarno Passed there were a lot of articles. One mentioned that the same people who sort of spoofed him and his idea's out loud at the Rusk Institute often came to him quietly in private for help with their chronic pains.

It's your truth and nobody else's

5. Mamajennie

Mamajennie New Member

Thanks everybody. I believe in TMS but if my emotions are suppressed, how am I supposed to know how to uncover them? I have had A LOT of stressful stuff happen in my life and I'm usually pretty verbal with my emotions etc. I wonder if it was something from my childhood? I believe in TMS but so far, not getting relief from teeth clenching pain, eczema, etc.

6. JanAtheCPA

I recommend our free Structured Educational Program as the starting point. Don't try to do it too fast. Let the information sink in. Most importantly, make a commitment to yourself that you will be completely honest when you start doing the writing exercises. Your fearful brain will try to convince you to skip or ignore things that come into your head, so you must be strong and write those things down anyway.

Over and over again, we hear that healing requires opening yourself up and doing the emotional work, and doing it honestly, no matter how much your brain tries to fight back.

7. JanAtheCPA

We are talking about going WAY deeper than just being able to express your everyday relationship emotions with others. The s**t that is being repressed is literally seen by your primitive fearful brain as being dangerous to your survival if you are allowed to feel it.

I'm not saying it makes sense. In fact, I frequently say here that the primitive TMS mechanism may have kept us safe for our short lives in the primitive world, with its very few and very obvious dangers, but that it makes no sense at all in today's modern world, with our very long lives and our multitude of modern stresses.

Don't let your brain seduce you into thinking that you don't need to do this work. It's a trick!

8. Mamajennie

Mamajennie New Member

That's exactly where I have started!

JanAtheCPA likes this.