1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern Standard Time. It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. MatthewNJ is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at that 3pm Eastern time.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this link: http://go.tmswiki.org/newprogram
    Dismiss Notice

Psycho-Physiological Dizziness Syndrome (PPDS)

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Gigalos, May 18, 2014.

1. Sofa

Sofa Peer Supporter

Cloudy head and vertigo like feelings. Been there, it comes and goes and it's not fun as you all know.. Feels like we are at a disadvantage to everyone else when the symptoms are present, doesn't it?

I'm glad the O.P. is addressing this topic. Right now my symptoms are gone, thankfully. Not sure what I did to shake them. For me, I purposely try to avoid thinking about them because that makes it worse. Anyone else like that?

2. Marls

Marls Peer Supporter

I too try any diversion to stay away from the pain ruminating, and know only too well how difficult it is. Tenacity is the word, think of absolutely anything at all. Guided meditation is my go to practice for “sort of” immediate relief
    I did want to agree with you Sofa, how the instability can make me feel disadvantaged, I find it an apt description. It’s almost exhausting physically and emotionally staying upright (even if you seriously know you are safe). Any kind of insecurity creates an unwelcome intrusion.

Sofa likes this.
  3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Everyone! Dr Edelman sent me an updated version reflecting the fact that, as she says, "our knowledge about it has increased." It is attached to this post. Check it out!

Attached Files:

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  4. BinLA

BinLA Peer Supporter

Thanks for posting this, Forest. Huge help and agree... you're starting to see more and more medical sites recognize this as its own condition... which of course we know means it's part of the larger (TMS/Stress disorder) condition. How refreshing that the 2nd listed cause of this is "period of high stress."

Makes you wonder if this will be the back pain of the next generation, or the ulcers... RSI... etc.

But shining the flashlight all over it will do wonders to help people. This condition is still a daily part of my life but most days, life is pretty good! (Or, I have other issues that are worse lol)

Anyway, understanding what this is... isn't... was huge in me going on with life. Hopefully your post helps others do the same.

Now for me personally, it's about working on the overall TMS mindset which allows conditions like this to flourish, and moving past it all.

Marls likes this.
  5. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

My pleasure, @BinLA. I like that phrase, “Shining the flashlight.” Working on the TMS Mindset is key. Once you get your mind straight(er), the body tends to follow. Glad to hear that life is pretty good, and your symptoms are not the biggest stressor in your life!

BinLA likes this.
  6. Hi,
    I am new to this forum and am curious what TMS is? Today I was diagnosed with PPPD by my neurologist. 3 months ago (April) I woke up one morning with severe dizzy spells & was later diagnosed with BPPV. At the beginning of the year (January) my dad died (he passed away of old age, I was there when he took his last breath) and after that I felt I was numb and wondering how I was coping with it so well (it hadn't hit me yet). Then all of a sudden I was massively agitated, suicidal and super stressed with my work place and home life. I wasn't coping well at all, I kept saying to my husband that I feel like I'm going to have a nervous breakdown. I have always suffered anxiety and depression and up until my vertigo attack 3 months ago I had been unmedicated for 3 years. I really thought I had kicked its butt. After reading this stuff, I feel the death of my dad and the stress from home life and work may have provoked my vertigo which has now turned into PPPD. Am I on the right track? As this is all very new to me. Can this syndrome produce after vertigo?

7. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, quick answer (on the run). Please read the information at our main website, tmswiki.org. That will answer a lot of your initial questions. Also be sure to read the update to the pdf article on PPPD that Forest posted last week on this thread. After that, you should be able to ask more specific questions, or you'll be ready to read Dr Sarno and start one of our free programs.

BinLA likes this.