1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Please help

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Timbercat, May 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Timbercat

Timbercat Well known member

I am really struggling with severe hip pain (please see my post saturday bursitis and frozen shoulder). I can hardly walk or get up the stairs and it's getting worse. I am following up with ortho tomorrow and I know he will offer cortisone injection. I've never had any luck with those in the past but I am so desperate now. Pain is so bad I hold my breath when I try to walk. If anyone has had hip bursitis, I hope to hear from you. The hip pain surpasses the frozen shoulder- Should I try the injection? I am trapped in this viscious pain cycle again. Bursitis seens so benign - what can I do to relieve the inflammation? Thanks for reading.

2. KevinB

KevinB Well known member

Dr Sarno in Healing Back Pain talks about one of his patients developing hip pain after she’d been relieved of her back pain via his TMS program. She went to a regular doc, who told her she had bursitis. She later phoned Sarno and then realized is was TMS. The hip pain went away. It may be helpful for you to read that from the book.

MWsunin12 likes this.
  3. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

Timbercat,

An injection will only reenforce that bursitis is a real problem and that will keep it going.
    Go back to the basics. Ask yourself what you aren't allowing yourself to feel?
    Have expectation that the pain is TMS and only your fear is perpetuating it. Easier said than done, I know. And, probably every person on this forum is challenged by this.
    But, I think seeing an ortho and mulling over treatments gives your brain the signal that it needs to keep the pain going....that you are LOOKING for the pain. And, it will keep appearing.

wishing you well. You can do this. We all can.

4. Mary80

Mary80 Peer Supporter

Hello
    I think if you're so sick, there's no reason to refuse treatment. If you feel a lot of pain it is right to take a medicine or think about a remedy. I want to remind you that it's a real pain and not imagined and everyone knows when it's too strong, so if your tolerance level has been exceeded then you do what you have to do, however remind yourself that there is nothing wrong with you and doing the exercises proposed by the various programs will help you not to lose sight of the real problem. I do not know well this kind of pain but maybe instead of a medicine you could try it with the heat.
    Many of us have inflammatory conditions and do not go away by magic just because we think they come from our brains. it takes a long time to do this and therefore it is right to have compassion for oneself and allow ourselves to take something that will help us to calm the pain during this journey.. so find something that works for you. . if it is a medical condition that you know well and you know that injections do not work then do not go to the doctor. Look for another remedy but help yourself.

5. Ghislaine

Ghislaine Newcomer

Hi Tmbeercat - as Mary80 said, for immediate help, take pain meds, apply a cold pack (15 min on and 15 off for an hour and repeat every few hours) and as you do these things, tell yourself over and over you are OK and have nothing in your life to be frightened about, and then also work on relaxing every part of your body, a section at a time starting at top of your head and working down to your toes.
    In addition, as soon as you can, start the Structured Educational Program on this web site (I am doing the original one and you can do that or the new one Alan Gordon created). Your strong pain is physical but driven by as strong unconscious emotions that you are repressing as they are not acceptable (e.g. sadness and/or anger which can be masked by anxiety). You will need to review many times throughout the day what you were doing/thinking/feeling to try and catch what unconscious, uncomfortable emotions are triggering your physical pain.
    Take heart, you can get better and as you more there, always be patient with and kind to yourself. Sending a virtual hug of caring.

6. untangledweb

untangledweb Peer Supporter

I’ve had bilateral frozen shoulder. Three years apart. Part of my pattern and story. As Mary80 said, the pain is real. Please get help. The pain is caused by repressed emotions and you know that, but everyone has their limits.
    Best of luck for some relief.

7. Timbercat

8. Timbercat

First of all, a big thank you to all who responded to me. I appreciate your suggestions and just having all of you write back makes me feel supported. I did go ahead with the cortisone injection - looking for some relief until I can make more progress emotionally. I am feeling terribly anxious about my finances . I just keep going farther into credit card debt because I cant get back to work; and I am looking to downsize from a 2 story house where I live alone to something more manageable. Never imagined my retirement would start out like this! None of the above concerns are things I can fix quickly so I try to break things down into smaller steps. Those are the things that I think are driving this recent pain cycle. I am again so grateful for this forum. I am in tears finishing this. Thanks again for your good wishes.

9. Ghislaine

Ghislaine Newcomer

Timbercat - how about also seeking help re planning around your finances/paying bills? I believe you can get extensions on payment dates and a payment plan that reduces what you owe. That could provide some peace of mind as you work on getting better. Be kind to yourself.

10. Timbercat

11. Timbercat

Untangledweb: Did your shoulders get better with TMS approach - did u have to keep trying to push the joint past where it wants to move? I hate to ask how long you had this problem??

12. untangledweb

untangledweb Peer Supporter

Timbercat,
    I’m so sorry you’re going through this. I only found out about TMS less than a week ago. I tried everything from injections and physical therapy until finally manipulation under anesthesia. Both times. I really wish I could remember if something stressful was going on in my life. It was probably the culmination of 45 years of it.
    Do you have a good friend or family that can help you in the downsizing process?
    I hope the injections bring you some much needed relief. Hopefully, you’ll be able to get some sleep.
    You can private message me if you’d like to talk.

13. Timbercat

14. Timbercat

Hi again,
    I do have family who can help with some downsizing. Sometimes I think they want me to stay in the house more than they want to help me leave. I have a friend who is a realtor who can give me some assistance. The ortho doc discussed manipulation under anesthesia as a last resort but said there is a risk of breaking bones and didnt favor doing that. I know I will not have that done. Did that procedure unlock your shoulders? I will just continue with a few more PT sessions and TMS healing and that is my plan for now.