1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Pain suddenly returned after 10 years

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by JDG, Jan 22, 2018.

1. JDG

JDG New Member

Dear folks,

Between 1999 and 2008 I suffered on and off from what I thought was RSI. After reading Sarno’s book in 2008, I was virtually pain-free in a couple of weeks. Despite a handful of recurrences, which I overcame within a couple of weeks at most, I was pain-free up until the end of last year.

When I accidentally hurt my finger on my left hand, the all too familiair pain kicked in (both hands) within a day, and did not go away after reading Sarno’s book.

The last 10 yrs I’ve had multiple life-changing events (marriage, birth of 2 children, unemployment, death of father, processing childhood trauma), none of which led to any physical pain.

I am absolutely convinced that the cause of my pain is psychological. I do not refrain from any physical activities. However, since for the first time my pain continued after reading Sarno and applying the principles, I am now seriously doubting some of its assumptions. Furthermore (and most importantly), the pain is affecting my state of mind.

So I am kind of at a loss here. Any tips would be greatly appreciated, especially from someone who’s been through the same.

2. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

It sounds like you need to go deeper, which seems common on this forum if a second round of pain occurs. Have you done the Structured Educational Program, or Alan Gordon's new program? Both are great. Also, Steve Ozanich's book is excellent. Spend some time reading success stories too. Best of luck!

Ellen and BruceMC like this.
  3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

What Lizzy said!! Many folks have a wonderful "easy cure" the first time around, and have to put in more effort, and go deeper in subsequent bouts. Be assured, it is TMS!

This seems like a classic "mind-body looking for excuse to send pain signals" incident. Laughable really, if it didn't bother you!

c90danwaiel likes this.
  4. JDG

JDG New Member

Thanks very much Lizzy and Andy. Reading succes stories and viewing the 20/20 movie of Dr. Sarno almost immeadiately alleviated my pain. Another clear indication of TMS. Will keep busy with the books and/or programs.

Also, I'm starting to think that all those negative thoughts as a result of the pain are a sympton of TMS as well. Perhaps they originate in my subconscious as well? It seems as though my pain gets less when I actively push those away.

Lizzy likes this.
  5. JDG

JDG New Member

Hi folks, just wanting to let people know that between january and june I did around 10 Skype-sessions with the PPC. I have learned a lot and have basically been doing great for the last couple of months!

6. Clarity

Clarity New Member

That's really great! Would you mind telling us a little about what your sessions involved? (I don't mean the personal details of course but more the type of things / techniques used. Was it talk therapy or looking at ways your repress emotion or something else?).