1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Notes from training w/ Dr. Schubiner and Alan Gordon

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Sadie, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Our self-identities, self-images can be seen as examples of well-worn "neural pathways!" And like any pattern, these can be reworked with effort and patience.

Sadie and Ellen like this.
  2. Click#7

Click#7 Well known member

There are 2 trains of thought on all of this. The neuroplasticity theory vs. Sarno's repressed emotions (anger) theory. Sorry patients don't give a rip about the physiology....they just want to hear that they can heal. Sarno was able to convey that message better than anyone on the planet and his patients who believed.... healed because that is how strong the mind is and he knew it. Sarno also said about his fellow doctors, "if they can't test it in the lab...they won't believe it ?" Doctors love evidenced based research because that's the way they were trained. Sarno was trained differently. Drs. Hanscum, Schubiner, & Stracks have been trained in a way that they need something more than a repressed anger theory. Those guys don't like eating their lunch alone believe me. So if a MRI's of the brain will show what lights up during pain, anxiety etc. I say go for it.....if Sarno knew that his theory could be proved with technology do you really believe he's say NO don't study that ? He didn't enjoy eating his lunch alone like a little boy being bullied by the big boys ? Dr. Sarno would want to be vindicated for all his hard work and the mental anguish he endured by his so-called colleagues. In 50-100 years someone will prove it (or something) and his work will be a reference point in some research study.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  3. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, I was definitely in a self-reinforcing feedback loop where the Qvar amped me up, which exaggerated the emotions that drive the TMS pain process. Amazing how just a week off steroids is like a new day dawning. The sky is bluer, everything is more fun, yes, less frightening. Funny, how the pain lodged in old injury sites just like classic TMS. I guess those old pain memories were amplified by the steroid. The docs told me though that Qvar was only topical, but they didn't talk how much more of it you would absorb if you were working out and running all the time. Sounds like perfect example of where big pharma uses the medical establishment to get people on meds and keep using them as part of what they called an "asthma management program". Once you were locked into the program, you just kept reordering more Qvar! Robot.

Thanks for confirming my experience with your far wider range of experience with pain patients. I can see this pattern too where I took two puffs of Qvar in the morning, my legs and back would hurt, I'd go on a manic bike ride, and then the pain disappeared. In other words, the exercise got the Qvar out of my system and the pain went down. Then, next day back into the two puffs cycle followed by increasing pain. I just never put two and two together and concluded, Qvar was what was wrong in the equation. Of course, the steroid ultimately made my allergies and asthma worse so I just kept at it with a vengeance thinking I was doing myself good. But just take a look at what MMA fighter Jon 'Bones' Jones has done to himself and his career popping roids and penis pills to counteract the side-effects?

Many thanks again, Hombre!

PS- I get the feeling that my hypertension was trigger by my getting closer and closer to my repressed emotion. Going off Qvar was a breakthrough of course but I was already moving in that direction slowly but surely when I sold my parents haunted house and moved to the wilds of Sonora. The old homestead was keeping things bottled up.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  4. BruceMC

Dr Sarno did say he'd welcome future neurological studies that would confirm his theory and practice. He said it would be good if someone did that in the future, but Dr Sarno was for healing in the present. A pragmatist and a clinician.

skhs and Click#7 like this.
  5. Time2be

Time2be Well known member

Just to support SteveO's point: adopting a naturalistic language about ourselves ("nerves, pathways, hormons etc. are doing this and that") is distancing us from ourselves. The scientific perspective is that of an observer and is very good for doing research. When we are talking about ourselves, then feelings, emotions, personal views etc. are what is important, we are not observers of ourselves - we are ourselves. I also think it is especially dangerous for TMSer to delve into the scientific language and try to get a kind of neutral perspective upon ourselves. I am not saying that these two views are not compatible. And it is good to know that there is nothing structurally wrong with us. But to read scientific articles and speculate about the underlying physiology of TMS is not helpful when you are trying to heal. It's another situation when you are healed. But believe me, it is sometimes difficult not to be influenced by the doubt that necessarily comes with science.

BruceMC, Ellen and Click#7 like this.
  6. Click#7

Click#7 Well known member

SO....are you saying the pain meds were the trigger, the diversion, or conditioning ? Tell me why you think the intensity of pain would be so severe ? Hope you respond because your point of view is always respected !

7. BruceMC

Probably all three, but I'd welcome an answer from Steve O too. Sounds like that Qvar (steroid) made me more obsessive compulsive and created a fertile field for the TMS process. Keeping all the old injury sites riled up and active certainly provided perfect places for TMS to locate the pain symptoms. Seven or either years ago, at the moment of my fall on my butt out running though, I had just experienced the death of my family doctor of 40 years (my late mother's doctor too) and an episode of romantic rejection in search of a mother substitute. Of course, the TMS pain in my left leg and lower back started up when all the proper psychological coordinates were in place. So the mechanism itself was classic TMS repressed emotionality.

I know that Andy Weil, M.D. talks about how topical steroids will magically make a problem like eczema or allergy disappear like lightning, but that doesn't mean that the underlying problem has gone away. Often it locates itself somewhere else in your body. Seems as though Qvar banished my allergies but the underlying body-mind process relocated it in the old injury site in my left leg and lower back. Really funny how a drug like that will have an impact in the body and the mind simultaneously. Not so funny really! Sure wish to heck that my old family doctor hadn't died. An internationally recognized internist of the first caliber he would have told me to go off Qvar and see what happened. Interesting too how something that was prescribe to get rid of a health issue perpetuated and intensified the very health issue it was designed to fix. The net result was that my allergies got worse at the same time I began experiencing chronic pain. You can see how the whole approach of the medical establishment has to be realigned in terms of an holistic approach to mind-body medicine. Or at least an approach based on common sense!

Oh well! End of rant!

8. Albertson22

Albertson22 Newcomer

9. Albertson22

Albertson22 Newcomer

10. Andy Bayliss

In TMS, I don't think the physiology is as important as recognizing and knowing that fatigue is a common symptom, and applying the right treatment, which is what Dr. Sarno, and others have given us. Just my experience...

Time2be likes this.
  11. BruceMC

I know a guy who's had it for 3 years now, and, as the old saying goes, "The can't find anything wrong", even after administering batteries of tests. Sure sounds like deep-seated emotions must play an important part in CFS. As an aside, I noticed last summer that this was the first time I ever noticed him looking older. Appearances are deceptive, but you have to wonder if that might be the trigger behind his CFS?

12. Jules

Jules Well known member

Believe me, Steve, I want to heal. I’ve been dealing with TMS probably my whole life, and have been doing this work often on for the last five years. My issue, is how do I take my focus off my body, when all I have right now is time on my hands? since quitting my job, I have had too much time, while waiting to get another one. I have a lot of stresses currently, not to mention all the traumatic memories. It feels like I’m flooded, as my therapist says. So, how do you let go of that constant fixation on the body, especially when it is so painful?

Like yesterday, I had such a bad headache that I was sick. I tried focusing on other things, but when your head is constantly feeling like an ice pick is poking it all the time, it’s hard to ignore that. I know it’s TMS, that is not the issue. The issue is getting my brain to stop protecting me, even when I have told it that it doesn’t need to be protected anymore, ad nauseam. It seems the longer you have TMS, the harder it is to get the brain to reset itself. I often wonder if something like hypnotherapy could actually reset the brain to accept the new knowledge.

13. BruceMC

Isolation does seem like a common denominator behind the development of TMS. Very easy to somatize on your body and its aches and pains when you've got time on your hands. It's like a perfect environment for repressed emotions to start bubbling up and take over.

Time2be likes this.
  14. hopefuldan

hopefuldan New Member

Does anyone know where to get a Dr. Sarno "healing back pain" study guide? I know it comes with the DVD but I watched the DVD online so I would prefer to just buy the study guide. I have TMS and want to work Sarno's program which apparently you can do with the study guide. I know other people like Nicole Sachs, Howard Schubiner, etc... make workbooks and guides but I think it might be best to follow Dr. Sarno's directly if possible. Thanks so much!

15. Andy Bayliss

16. hopefuldan

hopefuldan New Member

Andy B,

Thanks so much! This is great. This helps me a lot. I have read Dr. Sarno's books and I get the general idea of what he recommends people do to recover from TMS symptoms but I was looking for more a specific guideline. I was looking for what Dr. Sarno had his patients actually do each day and the link you provided to Forrest's post is just what I have been looking for.

Thanks again!

17. Jerpou

Jerpou New Member

In brief it's more easy to suffer pain than get a life

18. BruceMC

I do notice that in TMS healing. I think it's avoidance though. Because healing from TMS means that you have to learn to "feel" the underlying bad emotions that are driving your TMS symptoms, it's easier to stay preoccupied with the painful symptoms than confront their root causes, which are by their very nature emotionally painful.

19. sam908

sam908 Peer Supporter

I just came across this thread and read it with great interest. It seems to me that many of the points discussed here were covered by Dr. Abraham Low in his writings, back in the 1950's, and I commend them to anyone interested in healing from TMS. Had Dr. Low and Dr. Sarno been contemporaries, I'm certain that they would have gotten along famously.