1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Non celiac gluten sensitivity | Fear of Food

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Simplicity, Oct 11, 2015.

1. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm glad you've got your diagnosis and you are now on the right path, Simplicity! And you are absolutely right on - the things that we learn doing this work can absolutely help us with physiological conditions, illness and injury - to heal better, faster, and with fewer medications - and in general to live life a whole lot better than when we let fear and distraction rule us.

Keep us posted as to your progress!

~Jan

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2015
    Simplicity and mike2014 like this.
  2. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

Thank you Jan!

It feels great to finally have a clear picture of what has been going on with me; both when it comes to this issue and my anxiety. I know I said somewhere before that I was looking for a psychical cause, but I now think that my body was trying to tell me what was going on ~ I just wasn't able to listen to it clearly. There has been so much confusion but by starting this process and facing my fears (in this case eating gluten again) I've made breakthroughs in my understanding of myself and my past. Much of it has been painful to face, but it has been worth it ~ I know now what I need to do to heal and I feel hopeful for the first time in a long time.

You have been very helpful to me; it means a lot. Thank you. :)

I'm very happy I found this place and all the lovely people that contribute to it. There's so much insight to be gained here and I feel less lonely in my struggles by being able to connect with others in similar situations ~ what a blessing that is.

3. balto

balto Beloved Grand Eagle

When it come to Mind body health, people think different, believe in different things. We just don't think the same Jacket.
    Yes, Gene make your eyes blue and your hair blond, but it is not responsible for your ill. We don't go 30, 40, or 60 years being healthy then suddenly we got cancer due to our "cancer gene" or we get celiac because our gene became "celiac gene". Our negative thought environment, our toxic environment turned our gene into cancer, celiac, diabetes ... We don't get cancer because our parent or grandparent get cancer. We get it because we think negatively, we suffer from chronic stress, horrific traumas.... except for case of birth defect, we all got good gene to start off. Our gene turn "bad" mostly because of our emotional environment, not because of the gene we inherit from our parents.
    It is just what I believe. I am responsible for my own health. I have control over how healthy or sick I can be If I can master my mind. I refuse to be the victim of my gene.
    There are cases of identical twins were adopted by different families. One grown up "inherited" cancer from his adopted parents, the other one grown up "inherited" diabetes from his adopted parents. In the end they found out they were adopted and also found that their biological parents passed away at a very old age and not from cancer or diabetes. Some how their genes turn cancer/diabetes due to their "thought". (or expectation)
    Many conventional doctor have told me I have bad gene. There is nothing I can do about it, I was born with it. Well, thanks god for doctor Sarno, doctor Claire Weekes, doctor Bruce lipton, I have cured many of my genetic "defects" with just mind power.
    It is your choice, you want to be a victim or you don't it is all up to you.

Ewok, Zumbafan, mike2014 and 2 others like this.
  4. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

I just wrote this in another thread; I thought I would post it here too.

This is my progress so far when it comes to food:

What a journey I've been on since first posting in this thread! I don't have pain all over my body anymore, I've been able to overcome panic attacks, vertigo, tinnitus, migraines, sciatica and my general anxiety levels have dropped significantly. I'm not completely healed, but I'm thankful that I've come this far. It makes me hopeful for the year to come.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2016
    JanAtheCPA likes this.
  5. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

A side note:

Celiac disease is not the same as a food sensitivity - it's an autoimmune disorder that can lead to serious health issues if left untreated. - 'Following a lifelong gluten-free diet is the only medically accepted treatment for people with celiac disease.'

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2016
    Hopeful_Alexandra likes this.
  6. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

Besides staying gluten-free I have now been able to move away from any particular diet, but still eating real food (which I believe is very important). As far as eating paleo, I think that many misunderstand what it's about and I still agree with much of what the ancestral health movement stands for - eating natural, unprocessed food, close to the source and so on. Many different things can become an obsession and that's what I've moved away from - it was the obsessing that caused me problems.

I've also simplified everything around food; I used to spend so much time in the kitchen cooking each day and I want to focus on other things. It's quite possible to eat good, healthy food and keep it simple at the same time. I love this comic because this is what it felt like for me before (love the recipe)! Although, my food did actually taste good... well, OK maybe not all the time... ^_^

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Full version here:
    http://theoatmeal.com/comics/cook_home

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2016
  7. nutragirl

nutragirl Newcomer

scientific evidence proves diet and nutrition do help! Heart attack, stroke and diabetes have been studied. I don't think this is all TMS.

8. Ines

Ines Well known member

Hi, I can help you. I suffered from chronic migraine, tinnitus, asthma, allergies, neck pain, gastritis, and constipation.. and that's all I can think of so far. I ate paleo and whole 30 for about 2 years. 2 years before that I was doing elimination diets so for about 3-4 years I didn't eat gluten. I actually did test to be sensitive to wheat in an allergy test.
    Like you as soon as I read my first Sarno book I was convinced it was TMS but, the conditioning I had built around food causing my migraines and allergies was as strong as steel. It took about a year to break the fear of eating carbs, cheese, caffeine, and alcohol.
    Eating healthy consumed my whole life. I was also taking about 17 supplements at one point. I was neurotic about it. Even if I ate brown rice and black beans I would get anxiety because I was convinced I was diabetic or had some problem with carbs and inflammation.
    After breaking the conditioning I can tell you it's all crazy neurotic behavior your brain has created. You can spend a whole day focusing on what you can and can't eat. It's just another distraction. I now drink wine, tea, I had pizza for lunch yesterday. Also, I'm not scared if I miss a meal of have cake because of blood sugar spikes or drops. It's really the anxiety around it all that was keeping me worrying all the time that was causing me chronic pain.

Ewok, Ellen, MindBodyPT and 3 others like this.
  9. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

In my early 20's I had a "candida problem" and spent 7 years on the most absurdly restrictive diet: no sugar (including fruit), no dairy, no yeast containing foods, no tea, coffee or alcohol...pretty much all I ate was rice and veggies. I also had colonics and took the widest and weirdest range of supplements. It didn't work but I was helpless and initially it gave me a sense of control over something which left me desperate and powerless.

As @Ines says I was neurotic about it. I was also undernourished and just skin and bone. I wasn't healthy emotionally, mentally or physically.

These days I eat what I like. I followed the Weston Price diet for a while and that got me back into cooking and eating natural foods, especially dairy which is stupidly demonised. I am stronger than ever before and my skin is better than it was in my twenties.

It took me a while to break the conditioning and to understand how emotionally laden our beliefs around food and diets are. Based on my own experience and seeing how this has played out in people I know over the years I think it represents an essential stage of evolution away from the medical establishment and into personal responsibility.

Every one knows the body functions and feels best when we move and eat good foods but it's taking this to extremes that becomes harmful because it then devolves into mindgames. Some of the most manipulative mindgames are played out in the scientific arena. You can find pro and contra scientific papers on every dietary variation out there.

Joy, a peaceful mind and a good dash of wildness are the best foods.

Ewok, balto, Tennis Tom and 2 others like this.
  10. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I agree. Use moderation and common sense. Too much focus on food is another way to avoid dealing with our psychological issues.

plum, Tennis Tom and Ines like this.
  11. balto

balto Beloved Grand Eagle

just about every three or four weeks I see another research article telling me how bad or how good coffee is for us.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  12. Ewok

Ewok Peer Supporter

This is so true. I have two friends, both have 'real celiacs' (i.e. they had the tests for Celiac disease, they are not just 'sensitive') who didn't start having issues until, one in his 20's ad the other in her mid 30's. So they ate gluten very happily their whole lives and what, their genes just suddenly changed? Coincidentally, both started having problems during very stressful periods...

Lizzy and plum like this.
  13. TrustIt

TrustIt Well known member

14. TrustIt

TrustIt Well known member

Instead of asking a brand new question about this there are a large number of posts about this very thing you are describing, including my own. Just search the site for "digestive issues" and start reading all the success stories. The info you are asking for is right here! Best!!!!