1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

New member (lynn)

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by LEW, Jul 31, 2015.

1. LEW

LEW Peer Supporter

Hi Everyone,
    I just joined this wiki and am so happy to be part of this. I have had TMS for about a year and a half and am really struggling with recovery. I have a TMS therapist that I'm working with and a regular therapist. One says get angry, the other says don't. What have you all found to work best. Also is there a support group in Boston. Would love to join. Thanks. Lynn

2. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Lynn. Sorry you are getting conflicting information and direction. I am curious why the one therapist would say don't get angry. Definitely, get angry! You don't need to get violent or take it out on anyone. You can write like crazy and hit the page with all your angry energy. Or you can just go to town fantasizing what you might do if you really let that anger out. That's where you can get violent! The truly important thing is to recognize when you are angry and to allow yourself to feel it. This took a lot of practice for me. I liked to talk myself out of it, rationalize how useless and unproductive it was. I would try real hard to understand the other person's perspective and not give myself permission to be angry. I was perpetually nice to everyone but myself! Sometimes if you find you have difficulty feeling and expressing anger, its a very good idea to learn how to recognize your internal bully. Often we take the anger out on ourselves because we learned somewhere along the line that it is not safe to feel angry with others. And being angry at yourself does not count! Now I am much better at knowing when I am angry and just feeling it. You don't have to change anything or fix anything. Just let yourself feel it.

3. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Which says what?

4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

@Boston Redsox, I'll go if you set it up and if it's after August 7. :D Three is enough for a terrific discussion that is personalized and has multiple perspectives.

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/boston-tms-support-group.399/
    Veronica, unfortunately, is probably too busy these days to join us, but you could ask.

5. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

I am really not the type to set anything like this but I would gladly go to one if somebody sets it up

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Lynn. I like Anne's advice. I get angry at my computer and it causes me to have headaches.
    I swear a blue streak at my computer when it loses things I've written or does other crazy things.
    I find it helps to get angry and yell at it. I just have to be careful I don't throw it on the floor because
    I need it. I'm a full-time freelance writer of books and am on the keyboard every day for hours.

Anne Walker likes this.
  7. LEW

LEW Peer Supporter

Wow Anne. This is really helpful. I am working on trying to figure out when I'm angry. I too have been cued to not get angry which doesn't help. I know this is a process and I will be patient with the process. Knowing everyone is here for constant encouragement is so great. Thanks for your guidance. My maiden name is Walker by the way. Ha. Lynn

Anne Walker likes this.
  8. Tennis Tom

↑
    "... I have a TMS therapist that I'm working with and a regular therapist. One says get angry, the other says don't."

Which says what? As they say on the outside of the junk mail envelopes, "A favor of a reply would be appreciated."

Thanks,
    tt/lsmft

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them" Dr. Sarno

9. Boston Redsox

In the same boat TT, that why got rid of tms therapist I like regular therapist instead.

I feel the tms does reach deep emotions but going deep really as not caused me much relief

10. Tennis Tom

So Marco, are you better or worse now that you dumped your TMS therapist?

11. Boston Redsox

I would not say either I have been stuck in my progress ...I am leaving with my wife which we are still talking about divorce so this well of rage his stopping me from true healing but with that said I have made peace with my living situation

12. Tennis Tom

Maybe if you stuck with your TMS therapist you may be making progress instead of being stuck. What didn't you like about your TMS therapist?

13. Boston Redsox

TT you can say maybe or I should of for everything...but at $150 a session times ,10 sessions my progress was min, I like her just fine she was terrific but I guess she brought me as far as I could go.

I felt by reading and journaling is as effective and with the occasional unbias opinion to talk to a couple times a month I am a bit further.

The are many people worse of them me that are finding success without tms therapist. At times I feel like to go back but until health ins picks this up I can't not afford to be spending $600 a month

14. Tennis Tom

Thanks for the feedback Marco, you probably need to resolve your marital issues to lower your TMS reservoir. I just experienced a break-up of a long term relationship and can feel my TMS stress levels lowering appreciably.

G'luck!
    tt

15. Boston Redsox

thx TT I am hanging in there responding instead of reacting….

god bless

16. riv44

riv44 Well known member

17. riv44

riv44 Well known member

I'm a psychotherapist in the Boston area, and I have recognized that I have TMS. I think there are different theory bases. I think it would be hard to have two psychotherapists simultaneously. There needs to be, I think, some coordination between them. I think with all therapies you need to find what resonates with you.