1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

New here. So how on earth do you identify blind spots for recovery?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Sam Peterson, Mar 14, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Sam Peterson

Sam Peterson New Member

Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm not one to bore you with the details, but have been on a long journey since suffering a minor back complaint a few years ago. Fast-forward a few years (and plenty of x-rays, MRI's, and cortisone injections) and have discovered Dr Sarno's work on TMS. Everything clicked and made some major progress to the point of being almost recovered. I'm a believer!

But... I've since stalled and starting to slide backward. My recovery input hasn't changed (meditation, emotional journaling, yoga). I can't help but think there is some sort of personal blind spot that no amount of introspection can "see".

Ultimately how does one discover what they don't know? How can I see what I am missing?

Love to hear you tips on how to find personal blind spots in the context of TMS recovery.

Cheers,

2. Idearealist

Idearealist Peer Supporter

I think writing helps one to be more objective about themselves and their issues. Also, the right therapist can definitely help us discover blind spots.

Sam Peterson likes this.
  3. jimmylaw9

jimmylaw9 Peer Supporter

Think about all the things you “dealt” with in the past couple of years. Then think about them again. Think about how you actually felt about them rather than how you dealt with them.

Helped me discover just how angrily I dealt with things rather than how I felt about them. Lots of emotional release. And that was 2 years after discovering Sarno et al.

Sam Peterson likes this.
  4. Sam Peterson

Sam Peterson New Member

Thanks @Idearealist, @jimmylaw9. I've certainly found writing helpful, but at times it just feels like I am "going through the motions" so to speak.

I like the adage of how I "felt about it vs. how I dealt with it". It even rhythms! Catchy.

5. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

I support the suggestion of finding some outside help too. We all have blind spots...

Sam Peterson likes this.
  6. Marls

Marls Well known member

Hiya Sam, if you haven’t already, make a coffee and read the thread “What else is there - Seriously”. There might be a few “harsh” words, but there is also loads of damn good advice from some damn good advice givers. Cheers marls.

7. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I think it helps to do a structured program that has writing prompts like the SEP (free on this site) or one like Schubiner's Unlearn Your Pain. The programs bring up topics you may never address if left on your own. The topics you really don't want to write about are usually the ones that uncover the most.

Cap'n Spanky likes this.
  8. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

Yes... sometimes we have to start over from scratch. I did recently.

I haven't tried Ellen's suggestions, but I have no doubt they are both excellent. I can vouch for Alan Gordon's Pain Recovery Program: http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/ (Pain Recovery Program)
    I can't say enough good things about it and it's has made a tremendous difference in my symptoms and in my life. I didn't just passively read through it, but rather jumped in with both feet. I made TONS of notes and studied it multiple times. It's been a profound experience.