1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Nerve Pathways and memories causing triggered pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Louise Levy, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Louise Levy

Louise Levy New Member

I am interested in pain that comes on after doing fear evoked activity and triggering sensitized nerve pathways/memories that then go on a cause severe pain. If anyone has personal experience of this or can recommend any reading specifically around nerve pathways having memories I would be most interested to hear about it and how you retrained your subconscious to deal with this type of pain (repeated sensations)

2. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Hi Louise,

Welcome! I used to associate my headaches with (among other things) sitting in certain chairs, sitting without taking a break, etc. Once I learned about TMS I realized that was just conditioning. Whenever the pain would come on doing those activities I would just remind myself it was TMS and it the pain would stop.

I also had noticed that my pain came up in connection to certain emotional states and that's been harder for me to tackle, but I'm getting there.

Take care & hope to see you around.

:) Veronica

Bodhigirl likes this.
  3. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Hi Louise and welcome:

I've had back pain (still do) for a long time. I have read a lot, and had moments where I'm doing something "fun" rather than "work" where I've noticed I am out of pain. I agree with Veronica that it's conditioning. My body has tried other little symptoms here and there since I keep telling my brain "I'm onto you" - and I don't pay any attention to them. But my back is my biggest hurdle. It's my lower back and tends to "act up" whether I'm sitting or standing. Walking isn't much better either. But I too, am getting there. Or at least had moments where I remind myself "It's just TMS - soon it will be gone." Fear is a huge hurdle and one day you'll find that you aren't scared anymore because you have talked yourself into totally believing: "It's just TMS."

Have you tried the SEP (Structured Educational Program) on the wiki? Might help answer your question specifically for you.

BG