1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Need support with my Trigeminal Neuralgia

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Patrisia, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Patrisia

Patrisia Peer Supporter

Hi all,

I have a flare up once again and I can't sleep. I think my problem is mostly with the "victim mode". I wake up in the middle of the night and ask questions, such as "Why me?" and "How long will I be punished for?". I experienced back pain and headaches but 24/7 nerve pain is brutal and I am so sad that I have to be experiencing this. Noone around me (friends, family) understands because they can't even imagine nerve pain. Also, having this condition leads to a lot of anger towards my body because I feel like it's failing me at such a young age (I am 27).

Please help me gain a new perspective. :(

2. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

I am so sorry you are experiencing such pain. Dr Sarno always said his TMS patients were the ones dealing with the most intense pain. Our brains are serious about protecting us from perceived danger, be it physical or emotional, it's all the same. The anger you have towards your body may be the attention and distraction your brain wants. If you can practice being indifferent to and accepting the pain, you will lose that focus on it in any form. The pain will lose its purpose.

3. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

I have been battling for the last few days and I am fairly certain from perusing the forum, reading Sarno and my own field research that I would be diagnosed with that, IF I had money and time to go to an Md.

Fred Amir gave me a clue by mentioning Sarno's own tooth experience on page 88 of the MindBody Connection. I had never read that text as thoroughly because by the time it was published I was relatively symptom free and 'Healing Back Pain' was my sentimental favorite.

By Divine intervention I just happened to have a mint copy in my house .... just as I began to have the strangest symptoms. Under gobs of pressure at work, Supporting other people and doing a lot of 'grinning and bearing it'....all of a sudden my mouth can't close. all of a sudden alternating pain in different spots. Facial headache hurt so bad on Friday it felt like I got hit in the face with a bat. Hurts through the cheek and into my forehead...ouch.

It peaked right as I was waiting for an ex-GF to come over because she needs help...again. I had sworn to myself I was cutting her off forever.... "But just this time I need...." . I am absolutely in a rage over my inability to live up to my own 'rules and standards'. As soon as I helped her and she left the pain had gone from an 11 to a zero.

Then I got a text from her the next day...."Oh yeah...could you help me with {blank}" . Pains back. Rage.

So. I helped her AND told her it is the last time. I ignored her next calls. I Got pissed at the guys goofing off on my job today and busted a broom handle over a stone wall....pounded it over and over and over into smithereens. God that felt good! I'm 5 again. I played a long game of tug-of-war with my dog, but I didn't let her win(LOL). I told my crew if I see another f-king cell phone on the job to take a walk! I was very un-spiritual. Very much my old asshole self.

The symptoms, like my back pain used to be, are probably caused by ischemia. I taught myself a trick with TMS. Whatever it is telling me I can't do, I do the opposite. When My shoulder hurt, I would do pushups. When my knee hurt, I ran.
    My teeth were hurting and sensitive to the touch so I went and got some rock hard bubble gum and started chewing it on the painful side of my face... the side with the jaw pain connected to my hair. The first few chews almost made me lose my balance the pain was so intense. I ignored it and went back to work. Every time the gum got soft I grabbed another fistful of rock hard bubble gum. The pain went away the harder I chewed. That is consistent with ISCHEMIA.... the more you move the painful area and get the blood going, the better you feel... you are forcing blood flow.

It is gone now though a couple of hours ago it was nearing unbearable again. I guess I gotta leave a pile of gum by the bedstand because the pain has been coming whenever I try to relax (clue!)

I also got out a fresh folder and started listing all of the stressors in my life now. For a serene old man with full grown kids living alone I have a lot of people and stuff that I was 'OK' with,,,that I probably am NOT Ok with.

Do not host those victim thoughts! Those are like giving up. Kick scream and fight...never give in to this crap. If ever there is a devil it's surely TMS

nowa likes this.
  4. Patrisia

Patrisia Peer Supporter

Thank you all!
    After this last flare up my symptoms improved greatly!

nowa likes this.