1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Need encouragement, Week 1 update

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by ng88, Apr 29, 2018.

1. ng88

ng88 New Member

The first week of this journey has been intense to say the least. It gave me the first glimmer of hope I've had in a very long time. Journaling has definitely been therapeutic for me, beginning to learn to understand FEELING my emotions instead of just thinking about them. The past 3 days have been tough though since I've been journaling about extremely painful things that are giving rise to high stress, I think. I woke up yesterday with pain in my back that lead to me going "crooked" as I call it. As i've said in other posts I was diagnosed with sacroiliac joint dysfunction and ligament laxity. When I go "crooked" I literally lean to one side and it becomes painful to sit, walk or do anything but lay down. I tried to fight it by going along in my day as if I was fine and it worked for a bit, but today it's worse and I'm feeling sad. I knew it wouldn't be a perfect line to healing, but it's very upsetting and discouraging when it happens. I am trying everything not to focus on the pain and being crooked, but I know it's going to take practice.
    I am so grateful for this program and am just looking for some encouraging words and comfort.

Thank you all.

2. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

To reassure you, I believe Dr. Sarno wrote about being crooked. Under the circumstances of the mind generating pain and various other symptoms you are perfectly normal. I have a family member who was crooked when having an episode. Don't worry, you will be fine!

You are doing great and will continue as you learn more about yourself and what is going on in your brain. I see you've read some of Dr. Sarno. There is the Structured Educational Program and Alan Gordon's program free here on the wiki. Reading success stories and learning more about tms should help you with 100% belief.

Lizzy

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi ng88,

I am glad you're getting Lizzy's experienced encouragement. Your statement above says to me that you are entering life-changing personal work. This touches me deeply. Symptoms will increase, come, go, change, and in the end dissipate. This is natural and expected. Your deeper work of learning to feel is permanent and will always serve you. I know you're focused on the symptoms, but if you step back a little you might be very proud, happy, and excited. I wish you the best.

Andy