1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

My recovery from a diagnosis of trigeminal neuralgia

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by Beth, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Beth

Beth New Member

I was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia five years ago and have had success in being pain free thanks to mind body practices learned from Dr. John Stracks. Not that I don’t have flare ups - I do about every three months - but the flare up is short lived and usually only requires one dose (250mg) of oxcarbazepine per day for a few days. And when people ask what causes TN, I say “thoughts.” the habit of negative or unkind thoughts towards oneself takes years to treat with compassion (for this person).

When I was diagnosed, I felt like my life had stopped. The attacks were ongoing and seemed uncontrollable. The two neurologists I visited both said that there was nothing that could be done and that the pain would only get worse. They assured me that they would do their best by adjusting the dosage of various medications to keep me comfortable. The medications were strong and it was difficult to work. I couldn't drive. I despaired that I would have to use my disability insurance to support myself.

About five months after my diagnosis, while I was struggling to find a way to manage, I met Dr. John Stracks at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago. He said that he believed I didn't have to suffer as I did. I joined his Mind Body Class where over six weeks I learned with other people, who suffered from severe Mind Body pain, practices to free ourselves. Within the first week everyone in the class stopped taking their medications. As long as I was meeting with the class I didn't need medication. When the class ended the pain little by little returned. That was the beginning of another adventure. This time as I continued to meet with Dr. Stracks and other people he referred me to through the community of Mind Body Syndrome, I learned how to bring care and compassion to this person.

I have flare ups a few times a year, but they are small - twinges usually that remind me that there's more practice needed. More compassion.

I hope this narration of my experience helps others who suffer from TN. It's a horrible, life-stopping pain. And I truly believe that we don't have to suffer that pain.
    be

Aria, aniseday, Angel8 and 4 others like this.
  2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks so much, Beth, for sharing your success story. I'm sure it will inspire many people with TN to follow this path to recovery.

I love your response to what causes TN as "thoughts". So very true.

Congratulations on your recovery!

Lola111 likes this.
  3. Beth

Beth New Member

Thank you, Ellen. And thank you for your story. May you continue in peace and joy.
    be

4. Lola111

Lola111 Newcomer

Beth Thank you for sharing your story. I need to read and know that there is a hope for Trigeminal Neuralgia Sufferes. I have been diagnosed with that condition and suffer so many other symptoms. I believed that all this symptoms are TMS. Thank you.

Aria likes this.
  5. Beth

Beth New Member

Dear Lola, I wish you well - and I wish you hope. My journey has had twists and turns over the years, yet I have found that by continuing to hope and continuing to explore the many resources now available concerning TMS, I am able to find freedom from the pain. May you as well. Warmest wishes, Beth

Aria likes this.
  6. Klimentis

Klimentis Newcomer

Hi Beth, how are you today?