Muscle pain

I guess I need to think about my reactions to events
There's a quotation often attributed to Viktor Frankl, the psychologist and Holocaust survivor:

“Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.”

That’s basically what Steven Oats talks about in his book How to Rewire Your Brain Without Willpower. He suggests that a simple way to stretch that pause in the moment is to stop and lengthen the out-breath. Making the exhale longer than the inhale can encourage the body’s relaxation response and take some of the heat out of the reaction before we decide how to respond to the stimulus.

We don't always remember to catch that pause and lengthen it (I know I don't), but we can take a longer exhale—or two or three or more—whenever we realise we're in a situation that isn't agreeing with us.

In the context of TMS, I think it helps to remember that frustration usually has some anger (or its “sister”, irritation) riding along with it. Just recognising and accepting the anger, rather than pushing it away, can help signal to the brain that it isn't actually dangerous. And feeling the anger doesn't mean we have to act on it to solve the cause of it—the pause gives us the choice.

And I don't think this means that we should simply “let things go” when something genuinely matters to us. Wanting justice, fairness or resolution is not the problem. We can recognise that something is unfair, feel the anger that comes with that, and still choose how we want to respond. We might decide to speak up, set a boundary, challenge what happened or take some other action. But we can't act on every injustice we encounter; trying to correct or respond to everything that feels unfair is exhausting and painful in itself. Part of the choice the pause gives us is deciding which things genuinely need our response and which things we can acknowledge, feel the anger about, and then let pass. The important thing is that the anger doesn't have to make the decision for us. We can act because something matters to us, rather than because we're caught up in the automatic reaction to it.

Done consistently, this can help the brain gradually learn that it doesn't need to distract us (with pain and/or other symptoms) from recognising and feeling our anger. It can learn that we can feel it without acting on it in a way that threatens our survival, and that many of the injustices themselves, while genuinely unfair and upsetting, aren't usually actually dangerous to us either.
 
Yes! I was extremely extroverted as a child - then moved schools by myself and became completely introverted - so my nature is likely more extroverted (which doesn't show on the test as you alluded to).



From everything you've said, I'm probably as confident as I can be that you do (but so do most with TMS).



@BloodMoon discussed this above, but I share this too - although recently I've been questioning whether personally it comes from a moral place or it comes from a place of fear. I'm not trying to be too hard on myself and it is a good thing (a lot of it does come from a good place), but I know that a lot of what I do and how I am stems from a very strong fear of judgment. I'm not trying to put my experience on you, but just in case it is food for thought :)
Thank you both for giving me so much to think about. I've been journaling a lot about my past, feelings and my choices. It led me to a massive realization I never would have considered: fear of judgment. Looking all the way back to when I first married Jeff, my gut screamed it was the wrong decision, but I went through with it anyway because the invitations were out and I was terrified of being judged. That fear, combined with a deep sense of duty, has quietly run my life for decades. Jeff is now very ill, in and out of hospitals and rehabs for the last 2+ years. That's when my pain really ramped out. Seeing that connection has been a huge eye-opener for me. He is now home but I feel angry, resentful, having to help a man that brought me so much pain.
 
Yes, some people do experience this. There are a couple of possible reasons. One is that, within Sarno’s framework, the brain does not want you to “give up” the physical explanation for the pain — particularly if you’re really starting to connect with what he’s writing. Another possibility is that you might be finding some of the case studies or themes triggering, and that could temporarily flare things up.

There’s a past forum thread where someone described their pain increasing after finding Sarno and reading his book The Mindbody Prescription, despite strongly relating to what they were reading. Other people on the forum discussed similar possibilities around why symptoms can increase when encountering the TMS explanation; this is a link to that thread: TMS Wiki discussion
 
Last edited:
Yes, some people do experience this. There are a couple of possible reasons. One is that, within Sarno’s framework, the brain does not want you to “give up” the physical explanation for the pain — particularly if you’re really starting to connect with what he’s writing. Another possibility is that you might be finding some of the case studies or themes triggering, and that could temporarily flare things up.

There’s a past forum thread where someone described their pain increasing after finding Sarno and reading his book The Mindbody Prescription, despite strongly relating to what they were reading. Other people on the forum discussed similar possibilities around why symptoms can increase when encountering the TMS explanation; this is a link to that thread: TMS Wiki discussion
Thank you very much.
 
Back
Top