1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Making Sense

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Hiawatha922, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Hiawatha922

Hiawatha922 Peer Supporter

I completed one week in the Structured Educational Program. I believe that I have an abundance of fear, sadness and pain to sort through from my past...and in the present. However, I didn't just start this process--I've been exploring some of these things for a while (via counseling). The Structured Educational Program offers a very focused strategy for continuing the process. And I like the clarity in associating physical and psychological/emotional issues.

I still struggle (as I've posted in other subforums) with fear. For example, do I follow a very restrictive diet (to heal leaky gut and, in turn, heal a variety of physical symptoms) or do I loosen up on the restrictions and recognize TMS as the root cause of physical symptoms? It would appear that I have food sensitivities. After I eat foods off of my usual diet, my physical symptoms (nerve and muscle pain) increases. But could TMS be the root cause of these food sensitivities?

To me, TMS makes sense. But I also know that I've experienced a vast improvement in one significant symptom after going gluten/dairy free (it's called eosinophilic esophagitis). Maybe more time is needed with the restricted diet. So, I'm not sure which direction to go. Right now, I'm leaning toward staying with the strict diet AND doing the TMS work.

2. Marian

Marian Peer Supporter

Hiawatha, I also had muscle and nerve pain with gluten and dairy, but as I've been working with my TMS, gradually I'm beginning to see these symptoms as TMS as well. Our minds are SOOO powerful. If we believe we will have pain with certain foods, then it's a done deal.

However, I have found it best to take it slow and not force anything. So staying with the strict diet and keeping on with the TMS work for the time being seems like a wise choice. You will know when you are ready to try relaxing the restrictions. You will have a confident feeling about it and just somehow know that you can eat a slice of pizza. :)

3. Hiawatha922

Hiawatha922 Peer Supporter

Thank you, Marian. I was just rereading Dr. Sarno on allergies: "...the (insect) sting or the food are clearly not causative; they are part of the process. An unconscious emotion causes the immune system to react to the food or wasp sting." I have had significant allergies my entire life. More and more it makes sense to me that emotions are a part of this picture.

Marian likes this.