1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

just starting

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Bob, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Bob

Bob New Member

I am just starting my TMS treatment, gone back to full activity’s, which is causing a lot of pain, but I am reluctant to come off my medication, do I do this gradually or just go for it?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Do this gradually. It's better to make some gains before even contemplating medication reduction. TMS healing is all about learning to listen to and respect your body and recognising your emotions. That's more than enough for starters. No need to throw coming off meds into the mix ahead of time.

Ellen and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. Bob

Bob New Member

Thanks that has gave me great relief , I have been trying to do more but find I am in a lot more pain, also if you could help I really do understand that I have repressed feelings I have had quite a difficult life so I know there is a lot in there still unsure how to properly address this is to help me with my TMS recovery, any tips would be really appreciated.

4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Bob, and welcome. What have you done so far? Reading at least one of Dr. Sarno's books is, of course, a must. After that, you can check out the two free programs we have here:

The Structured Educational Program (most people start with this) which is on the main wiki: tmswiki.org
    Alan Gordon's Pain Recovery Program - there's a banner link at the top of every page

plum likes this.
  5. dmande

dmande New Member

Hi I am watching STEVE ozanich wall of victory very moving

6. dmande

dmande New Member

My name is Dan. I have to admit that beginning tms recovery is very scary in that I feel I should be doing something to heal.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  7. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey Dan, and welcome to you too! One of our earliest members (I believe she might have been instrumental in helping to design the SEP*) was famous for saying "Don't should on yourself!"

As Dr. Sarno points out frequently, perfectionism is one of the key traits of those of us with chronic TMS. One of the biggest mistakes that newcomers make is to feel like they have to do this work perfectly, which of course can result in doing nothing, for fear of doing it "wrong".

The fact is that there is no right or wrong way of doing this work, because we are unique individuals. The right thing is to plunge in and start trying things (the SEP is perfect for trying out different things). The wrong thing is to procrastinate.

From my own experience, the most important thing I had to do was to be totally honest with myself when I was doing the journaling or writing exercises, and to not let my primitive brain prevent me from examining things that came up.

~Jan

* Structured Educational Program

plum likes this.
  8. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi guys,

I think Jan has covered the bases. I'd only add that one of the keys to healing is learning to relax; to relax your body and mind around everything. The surge of perfectionism knots us into tight little balls of tension that is very counter-productive. Let go, enjoy the learning, embrace the healing. Many people here have healed so let that reassure you that it can be done. Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of the mind~body.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  9. Bob

Bob New Member

Thank you both for replying,it is great to have found this forum and know people are going through the same as me, after reading the books it made so much sense to me,I will look into the structural healing program, and I have booked into a mediation course to help me relax more, thanks again guys

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  10. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

You're welcome my dear.