1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Is This Tension - Help!

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by RikR, Feb 18, 2013.

1. RikR

RikR Well known member

I wake up every night around 3:00 am with a feeling in my body that it is plugged into an electric current, it is so painful I want to jump up and run around and scream. All day I am so agitated that I cant think and again want to pace and scream.....except my feet hurt so bad I cant pace.

Along with all this is the total body pain – nausea – dizziness – gut cramps and so much more. It has me totally disabled.

None of my skills seem to work anymore – meditation 3 times a day – affirmations – self talk – journaling – nothing seems to break the cycle or bring my nervous system down.

Does this agitation sound like tension – has anyone else been this tortured by this. Any thought on what else to do....Please!

2. Dear Lianne

Dear Lianne Peer Supporter

RikR:

I have not had your experience. It sound really awful. The word "agitation" that you use is key in your mind. Do you know what is agitating you emotionally?

What is happening in your life that your "skills" don't seem to work anymore? Something external to you is causing internal perceptions that are making your body hyper-vigilant. You are losing your sense of confidence that you can cope. Not sleeping well can lead to clinical depression. Have you seen a Dr? The word "tortured" is quite severe too.

If you haven't shared this with a medical Dr. I think perhaps you should. Peace of mind is what you need. You may need medical assistance in order to help you stabilize before you can address TMS pain. Sometimes life gets so stressful that we need medical support to help us get back to a sense of balance.

Peace to you.

3. RikR

RikR Well known member

I am actutally a medical professional no longer in practice - I am 100% good on anything medical - thanks for your thoughts and concerns

Pandagirl likes this.
  4. Pandagirl

Pandagirl Peer Supporter

I have a constant electrical current running through my body from neck to feet. Today I actually used the word "tortured" when referring to how I feel. My back hurts, but it's not disabling. The electrical current can drive me insane some days. It is much worse when I have to sit still or try to sleep, less noticeable when I am up and about, but then my feet feel sore. I feel your pain!

5. RikR

RikR Well known member

Panda

I sent you a private message - we have exactly the same thing. Trying to sleep with it is torture, then as I get up and get going it turns into other symptoms

6. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Hi, Pandagirl and RikR,
    I just want both of you to know I recently had that electrical current going through particularly in my buttocks and legs.
    It was just terrible. I would hate to get out of bed in the morning because the electric current would start.

I realized it was my autonomic nervous system was revved up; in other words it was speeding and sending those electric currents.
    I believe because I was so concerned about the pain and the electric current it was working against me.

The books that best helped me to learn about this was Fred Amir's book Rapid Recovery of Back and Neck Pain and Dr. Brady's
    book, Pain Free Living. After I acquired knowledge about what was going on in my body that definitely helped.

I also and still do deep breathing before sleep especially. I use a lot of visualization imagining my autonomic nervous system
    slowing down; going from 100 to 30. Believe it or not that has really helped. I also use positive affirmations such as I am
    safe and relaxed; all is well with me. I also did many other things that I would enjoy sharing at a later time.

I am very thankful to say the electric current through my body has stopped. I am so thankful. I still have pain in sciatic but
    it is nothing like it use to be, although it does still need improvement.

So, please be very encouraged that it can stop also in both of you.

One thing I am doing in journaling is forgiving anyone who hurt me or that I was disappointed in. This has been very freeing.
    Some people I did not even realize that I was disappointed in because they did not live up to my expectations but as I
    journaled I saw I had a lot of hurt towards them and that usually means unforgiveness.

These things significantly helped me but everyone is different. I like to discuss this more with both of you to compare notes.
    G.R.

7. RikR

RikR Well known member

Hi GR - I would like to speak with you also

8. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

RikR.
    Absolutely. I am learning, also.
    G.R.

9. honeybear424

honeybear424 Well known member

I've had that electrical current feeling off and on over the years, too. When I went to have it checked out about 9 years ago, all tests came up inconclusive. The neurologist even told me and wrote in my chart that anxiety could likely be the cause of my symptoms. Unfortunately, I've had it again the past several days and it is really annoying. Just sticking with my TMS self-talk and reminding myself that this is my own brand of anxiety manifesting in my body. I keep telling myself that I refuse to allow fear to rule my life anymore!

10. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Hi, Honeybear,
    What did you do years ago when you had that electric current feeling? Did you just
    ignore it, talk to yourself....?

How has TMS manifested in your body? What have you done that has really worked?

I definitely agree with you that I think fear as at the root of these electrical currents.
    Thanks,
    G.R.

11. honeybear424

G.R.~

When I had that years ago, it just kind of went away as I paid less and less attention to it, I guess. But I continue to have neurological symptoms on and off as a part of my TMS. My main thing is chronic headaches/neck tension/TMJ. That is what I have had going on for 19 years. Over the past couple of years it has grown to include shoulder and arm pain, abdominal pain, Raynaud's syndrome, and a pretty much constant rumbling in my left ear (tinnitus). I believe Fibromyalgia is a diagnosis I would be given if I went that route. I would never buy it. It's only a catch-all term when they can't figure out what else to call what you have. Dr. Sarno clearly says Fibromyalgia is most definitely TMS.

Over the past year and a half, I have been practicing yoga/meditation daily, and have been following Dr. Brady's program since November. I have noticed a slight improvement in my symptoms, but I can get myself into a full TMS tizzy in no time flat! I did it over the weekend. I let fear take over and spiral into a massive TMS attack. I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder in '90 and I believe that is my core problem. Just as Dr. Brady says, my autonomic nervous system is on overload and that's what causes the symptoms. Dealing with the emotions underlying is my only chance for healing. Recently, I've found Tapping and am having impressive results being that it is like journaling without the pen and paper (or computer). :)

12. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Honeybear, I've discovered tapping too and like it very much. I hope you stick with it.
    Robert Smith has many free web sites and programs. His Faster EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques)
    is really good. I hope you find some relief in it.

Have you tried an easy meditation technique? I just look at a lighted candle, breathe deeply, and tell
    myself to let me relax and heal. I also do tapping while I meditate.

13. gailnyc

gailnyc Well known member

G.R. and Honeybear, I'm curious to know why you like Dr. Brady's book. I'm thinking of getting it but am a little turned off by the "6-week cure" subtitle. I'm concerned that a limited time frame like that will put extra pressure on me, or that I'll become discouraged if I'm not pain-free in that time. What do you think?

14. Pandagirl

Pandagirl Peer Supporter

GR, thank you for the encouragement! I feel like my nervous system is on overdrive and I'm trying to calm it down. Most days I feel like my thoughts are under control, but my body reacts differently. I need them to sync up! I appreciate your advice as well, I will try to put some of that into practice!

15. Pandagirl

Pandagirl Peer Supporter

I've found that TMS doesn't respond to medical treatment. No pain pill or drug has even touched my symptoms. Even when I went into labor and had an epidural, my pain was at a 10. My legs were numb to the touch, but I still had pain. I guess because the pain was in the brain. At least I keep telling myself on days that I have considered amputation! o_O I need a vet and a horse tranquilizer!

16. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Hi, Gailnyc,
    I like Dr. Brady's book paretly because he adds the spiritual element to mind/body healing. I believe that is helpful for achieving peace.
    I made peace with the Catholic Church I grew up in. I just tossed the ball to God and trust He will know whate to do with it.

I don't think a six-week to cure timetable is necessary... it could happen sooner or later. The important thing is to keep workingon it until it does relioeve the paikn. It took me nearly three months but the wait was well worth it.

Everyone... do yourself a big favor and rent the DVD of THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL. It's full of wisdom and joy. Judi Dench, Maggie Smith and some other Brits go to India and stay at a hotel they expect to be luxurious but they are in for a lot of surprises.

17. honeybear424

Walt ~ I have seen some of Robert Smith's stuff. There are quite a few videos on there with people who "had" fibromylagia. Very encouraging!
    I do 20-30 of meditation every morning repeating a mantra and/or focusing on my breath. Then I do a nice 15-20 tapping session (today it was 45!). I incorporate TMS self-talk into my tapping sessions, sometimes specifically adding Dr. Sarno's 12 Daily Reminders into the routine.

Gailnyc ~ Yeah, I know what you mean about being turned-off by the "6-week cure". I have to admit that a few weeks ago at my 12-week mark, I was a bit frustrated by that very thing. I followed his program to a "t". :( It was my TMS therapist who suggested this book, though. Initially, I almost cast it aside because I was worried that he would be pressing the "religious" aspect, not "spiritual". I grew up with 12 years of Catholic schooling and am coming to realize that the "punishing" God that I was raised with is likely a serious block to my healing. I haven't believed in that punishing God since high school, but I'm afraid the little girl inside ("ID") still does. As far as Brady's book, he does a wonderful job explaining how the autonomic nervous system gets locked into fight or flight mode, which causes the pain and other symptoms. Also, it was his book that inspired me to begin journaling on a regular basis and this, I believe, is key to healing.

18. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Yes, Brady says add the spiritual aspect, not religious. I grew up a Catholic with the message of sin and guilt instead of a strong dose of
    God's love and forgiveness. I believe God is not a punishing God. Maybe journal about that so you can switch your punishing God to a loving and forgiving God. I think Gold will hug you for talking to him about it.

19. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I meant God, not Gold. I make too many typos because I type too fast.

20. gailnyc

gailnyc Well known member

Honeybear and Walt, thank you for your thoughtful responses. I have sort of added a spiritual element on my own, so I'd be curious to see what Brady says about it. And I absolutely believe that my nervous system has gone haywire, so I'd be interested in reading what he has to say about that, too.