1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

I think I know the answer but......

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by thech1mp, Oct 24, 2017.

1. thech1mp

thech1mp New Member

Hi,
    Sarno and this site saved me from chronic back pain in April of this year. I read that I posted on 3rd May about the back pain going but having some slight wrist pain. I have tried my best to tell myself its TMS but it is just getting progressively worse. It is not as life changing although today I had to stop playing golf for the first time because of the pain. I have had an Xray and they didn't see anything conclusive so just been given a gel by my doctor to apply three times a day ( its worse). I have a Skype appointment with a private doctor now tomorrow morning. But in the back of my mind I wonder if it is TMS but can't seem to buy into it as really seems like an injury with proper soreness especially when playing golf.

What do people think?

Thanks

Paul

2. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

My two cents...
    It is not unusual to get new symptoms in other area's, so yeah, it is probably TMS. Throw the gel away, it is placebo gel, I never understood how gel can penetrate the skin anyway, the only positive effect of gel is that you have to massage it in for a couple of minutes... and that imho is the only reason gel might give you some relief. Just give it some time to heal, maybe you simply pulled a muscle or something and that should go away; if it doesn't, treat it as TMS.

birdsetfree, thech1mp and plum like this.
  3. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Very, very few of the many friends I have turned on to Sarno's work and been healed have NOT had a 'new' symptom. TMJ, Headaches, shoulders, wrists... It's almost as if once our body knows we know what it's doing , it creates a new distraction.

plum likes this.
  4. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Since you asked--It sounds like TMS! You understand that I haven't seen your wrist in person and I am a tennis player and not an MD. You've been to a doc and you had images taken and NOTHING was found wrong, that equals TMS! What is the gel you were given?

Have you looked at the HOLMES-RAHE LIST for emotional events that create TMS? Have you experienced any emotional events in the past year that can create TMS symptoms.

Is the doc you will be skyping with a TMS physician? If not, see a TMS physician, there's a list of them at this site.

birdsetfree and plum like this.
  5. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

Great that you had such good and relatively quick relief from your back. Hmmm Something else percolating that you have not yet dealt with, or just your brain continuing to look for a new place to keep you occupied with your body because of some old schema your brain is reluctant to let go of. What a better place than a wrist. Interferes with something you love. My own experience has given me some new material (e.g. aches) to work on since my original pain in my back is doing somewhat better...what kicks in? my shoulders and arms. Good grief, will this ever end we think. Yes, I am certain it will.

I agree with the others. You have had a doc look at it, nothing serious found, so...TMS sounds likely. Even 'real' injuries (such as dislocated discs, nerve damage, can manifest TMS because as Sarno and others have pointed out, these injuries are not painful in and of themselves. Read Sarno, talk nice nice to your wrist/brain. Let us know what happens.
    Lainey

plum and Tennis Tom like this.
  6. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Paul,

All I can add is that I have had wrist pain as a definite symptom imperative. It came on the evening after I read about @Christie Uipi MSW TMS wrist and hand problems in Alan Gordon's new program.

I picked up an empty saucepan from the washing up bowl and my left wrist spasmed. The pain was quite bad. I knew immediately what it was and laughed it off but it lasted for a couple of days with marked intensity. It wouldn't bear weight and hurt like crazy whenever I used it. It finally eased off but every now and then I have an echo of it. I can feel the ghost of it now as I type this. Strange behaviour indeed.

You know the drill. Get the tests, see the docs, read the Holmes-Rahe test in @Tennis Tom's post, maybe take a look at the Christie post I mention...

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/day-5-changing-your-brain.16477/ (New Program - Day 5: Changing Your Brain)

All the best.

Lainey likes this.