1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

I fell into a trap

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by DaveBrad, Aug 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DaveBrad

DaveBrad New Member

I tried to go for a jog in which, didn't cause any pain during or 10 mins after, however, as I started to fear the symptoms come on I started to feel more pain. And then a full blow panic attack and increasing symptoms.

Now I find myself in more pain than before the jog, almost a week and a half afterwards, wtf can I do... My confidence is low, and can understand why my symptoms may have increased for a bit but don't understand why I'm still so uncomfortable.

I have higher level of fear and anxeity, and I'm possibly furious at myself for jumping the gun with the jog. I was such a small jog and couldn't have hurt me much, but my fear of it was extreme afterwards. Please help, I'm in a lot of pain and I can't get out of this flare up

2. NicoleB34

NicoleB34 Well known member

this is pretty much the repeating storyline of my pain. However, things are getting better. Exactly like you said, you tried to "live your life", and go out for that jog. That's the first good step. However, it's so hard to not get into this fear mode of "i hope i didnt damage anything!". I was a hardcore cyclist before my pelvic pain made it nearly impossible to live my life (and ride!) so you can imagine how depressed i've been. However, by trying really hard at not letting fear get me, i've been able to ride longer and longer miles. At first, i couldnt sit on a bike seat at all. I tried to stop all damaging thoughts, and tried to approach it as something fun. That doesnt mean i'm perfect though, i still get after-flares of pain. They've been getting less severe though, by a lot.
    As for helping your current flare? That's hard to say. Your nervous system is likely all jacked up and you need to somehow bring it back down. What helps for me during flares, is meds (some might be against that, but being in extreme pain causes muscles to lock up and doesnt help you calm down), hot baths (take 2 a day if you have to!), and light walks; assuming you can. There are ways to bring down the nervous system. you could try guided mediation too, there are plenty on youtube and even this site i've seen.

Ellen and DaveBrad like this.
  3. DaveBrad

DaveBrad New Member

Thanks Nicole, i know what you mean i used to be a footballer (soccer) and was pretty good when i was 17, however, i injured myself while playing and have had pain ever since. I miss the feeling in your chest as you pushed yourself and your heart is beating so fast, and really miss the competitiveness of it.

I think your right about the nervous system, i'll try calm it down. Although i have been really hard on myself and have realised i was piling pressure of myself to heal or not to make any mistakes. So i need to be kinder to myself and generate a more relaxed approach to healing, only problem is i start uni in September and i fear it. Although Uni would be a good way to start living my life, rather than waiting and focusing on my pain.

Been thinking aloud sorry, thanks for listening xx

4. PainNoMore

PainNoMore Peer Supporter

TMS pain feeds on fear. you have to break the cycle. take a deep breath, calm down your nerves. remember that no matter how much it hurts, TMS is harmless. so break the habit of fear when pain comes on.

have you been following Alan Gordon's day by day program? it's very good and i'm confident you will break the fear cycle and recover if you follow his program. take it slow and give yourself time to digest it. and as Nicole mentioned, guided meditations are great for calming your nerves.

DaveBrad likes this.
  5. Everly

Everly Peer Supporter

Dave, you know that it was not the jog that causes you pain, but reaction and fear that you experienced. You were probably doing very well in your TMS recovery mindset before the moment you started doubting it, so it came back with vengeance. But it will go away you can be completely sure of it. To speed it up right now I suggest a bit of ''leaning into'' pain rather than panicky avoiding it, cause that is probably just fueling it. Have you read about somatic tracking in Alan Gordon's program?
    Take care.

DaveBrad likes this.
  6. DaveBrad

DaveBrad New Member

Hi, Elina, I'm very confident in the diagnosis logically, however, still to convince my gut at times. But yes i know that the movement didn't cause my pain as it was light and had no pain while or minutes after which felt so good, but my fears kicked into overdrive (probably the tms on extinction bust) however, it succeed in knocking my confidence and now I fear = Fear, haha i know crazy but i do, as i know its feeding my pain.

I like somatic tracking a lot actually, i should do it more often

Everly likes this.
  7. Kylin Foster

Kylin Foster Peer Supporter

I would really redirect your brain from the anxiety and the pain to how you are feeling emotionally and get in touch with how those emotions feel in your body. Just know that every flare up will pass just know that it is fleeting and the less attention you give to it the less time it will be there. Try mediating every day, head space is a GREAT app and once you get past the basics they have packs you can choose from like, confidence, pain management , anxiety, ect. I think it's like 8 bucks a month but it is so so worth it! Plus the first sessions are free so maybe try that. don't worry this flare up WILL pass:) just focus more on your emotions and do more things that help you be present and relaxed!

8. stevow7

stevow7 Well known member

hello elina! would you share a link to alan gordon program?

9. stevow7

stevow7 Well known member

hello kylin! when you say redirect your brain from the anxiety and the pan to how you're feeling emotianally, do you mean like if i have daily stress and think about that?

10. Kylin Foster

Kylin Foster Peer Supporter

No I mean think less physical and more phycological when you start getting pain and than anxiety about the pain. Just think how am I feeling emotionally right now? Is there any sadness or deep anger? Is there anyone in my life or something that is making me angry. And feel those emotions get in touch with how they feel in your body. Maybe even do some expressive writing about those feelings.

11. Everly

Everly Peer Supporter