1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Hello, I'm new here! Vertigo + TMS

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by cool_change, Feb 6, 2020.

1. cool_change

cool_change New Member

Hello friends! I’ve been lurking the forums but this is my first post tiphata

I'm on Day 6 of the SEP, I just finished watching Dr. Howard Schubiner’s video - nodding along in agreement and recognition the whole time! I found Dr Sarno’s book a few weeks ago and I’m just starting out, but I’m excited to retrain my neural pathways, and can already see I’m getting into parts of myself that have been neglected for a ~long time~

My story in brief: Imagine you just two shots of tequila. Then went on a rollercoaster. Then got spun around five times and asked to walk in a straight line… welcome to life with vertigo, every day.

As many of you can attest, it all started with a traumatic and stressful period following the unexpected death of a loved one. My world turned upside down…then literally turned upside down with my first vertigo attack. That was a year and a half ago, and I’ve been in pain ever since. Headaches, light/ sound sensitivity, unbalanced every day, and occasional spinning vertigo, to the point I’m unable to do normal daily activities, including work. After seeing every almost medical professional in the city & having every test known to modern medicine, I was recently diagnosed with vestibular migraines.

But I know it's related to my emotions. The bad attacks come at periods of high stress. My anxiety is through the roof. I have a vicious cycle of feeling a symptom, then my anxiety kicking in, which makes me more dizzy, which gives me a full blown panic attack… yeesh. You can see the endless cycle!

I want to break that cycle. Get my life back, feel like myself again. Do all the things I stopped doing. I have my ups and downs (lol), but I’m desperate, and I’m all in! I’m here to get better. I’m happy to have found out about TMS and to be on this journey with you all wavea

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  2. Velvet_Hidden

Velvet_Hidden Peer Supporter

Much respect to you for sharing your experience with the intense symptoms you have experienced for some time..... I hope in due time your able to return to doing all of what you love physically while confronting the inner emotional reasons that hinder you from doing so!

I can say in my experience reading Dr. Sarno's "Healing Back Pain" , doing the 42 day Structured program on the TMS wiki, journaling daily, and fully accepting all the reasons emotionally for my pain helped me to heal at a steady rate.....

I can't wait to see your updates!

Best Wishes to you on your healing Journey!

JanAtheCPA and cool_change like this.
  3. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome to the forum! I highly recommend that you start with Success Stories subforum. It is amazing how many symptoms can be eliminated by the TMS approach. Best of luck to you!

JanAtheCPA and cool_change like this.
  4. Workinghard

Workinghard New Member

Hello,

i have vestibular migraine also. Had it first back in 2011-2013, and back to 100% normal on brand-name Effexor 187.5mg . Was 100 after having the symptoms you’ve described. Get brand-name Effexor 37.5mg, open the capsules and take 1/3 the first week, 2/3 the second week then the full capsule starting the third week. Keep up titration good the dose by thirds until you get to a dose that eliminates your symptoms. The beads in the capsule are coated so you can swallow them whole (mix with applesauce). Zoloft or Celexa can also treat vestibular migraine, as can the older tricyclic antidepressants like Nortriptyline and amitriptyline. You can also try a beta blocker or calcium channel blocker. For acute vestibular symptoms try clonazepam 0.5 -1.0 mg every 8 to 12 hours. Get on a strict migraine diet, stay hydrated, no alcohol, plenty of sleep, and wear sunglasses outside. For working under Flourescent light is FL-41 coated lenses. You can ge there from Axon Optics. There is a different costing for use with computer monitors.

I was completely normal l and had no VM symptoms until my back went out last year, now the migraine came back due to sleep deprivation, and I’m bakc in hell again. Get started on this things and your migraine will improve. Anxiety is part of VM, so learn to control it because the anxiety makes it worse.
    Feel free to ask me questions.
    Good luck