1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Has anyone tried Dr. Schubiner´s program?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Linnea, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Linnea

Linnea Peer Supporter

Hi guys!

Just wanted to hear if anyone has tried the program att www.unlearnyourpain.com, by Dr Schubiner? As I understand it costs $100, so it´s not something I will go for right now, since I´m still doing the structured program at the wiki.

Any experiences? Anyone read the book?

And Happy Easter if you´re celebrating it!

/L

2. Linnea

Linnea Peer Supporter

Oh, posted in the wrong subforum, can admin move it? Thank you!

3. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Hi Linnea,

I really like the Dr. Schubiner book. I haven't done the exercises yet but the frequently asked questions section is really good and it also comes with a CD of guided meditations that I use all the time.

I think a few people on here have been doing the exercises and hopefully have some more feedback for you.

Yes, happy holidays!

:) Veronica

4. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

I've ordered Schubiner's book and CD from Amazon, but it hasn't arrived yet. I believe it was only $25 dollars complete. Does the course with online or phone support cost $100? Why not try out the book-CD combo before laying down a full Benjamin?

5. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

I have the book and got through week 3. I really like his approach and his exercises a lot. It's somewhat like the wiki, but has some different ways to journal which I found really helpful.

And Veronica is right. The CD with the meditations is great. I use it often myself.

I got the book, didn't take the $100 course online. And I did the book right after the SP on the wiki. I sort of hit a wall after all the delving I did, so stopped at the end of week 3. The cool thing is (and I intend to do this) I can go back to weeks 2 and 3 and do them again. I found them really helpful.

Overall it's a nice place (I thought) to go after the SP on the wiki

BG

6. Linnea

Linnea Peer Supporter

Ok, thanks for the answers, might be the next step!

7. spiralgirl1

spiralgirl1 Peer Supporter

Hi... I have recently bought the book and it looks very good.. I personally find it easier to concentrate and connect with book / paper work .. too many distractions for me on the web but I like to draw from other sources such as the Wiki SP.
    The Schubiner CD is very helpful...

Have a lovely Easter... :eek:)

8. honeybear424

honeybear424 Well known member

I almost bought this book, but decided I should get through Dr. Sarno's books first. I am trying not to complicate things for myself. Although, I am very curious about the CD, now that you all have brought it up. In fact, I just bought a new little portable CD player yesterday for use with my Louise Hay affirmation CD that is on its way (along with the You Can Heal Your Life movie).

9. BruceMC

I think Dr Schubiner's analysis of the way pain pathways become conditioned explains a lot of things that are missing from Dr. Sarno's books. Especially his explanation of the way that old injuries and their associated nerve pain pathways are programmed into the brain. It makes me understand a lot more about my relapse 3 years ago when I fell on my left side out running and my sciatic nerve started acting up three days later, with no bruise, no swelling, no redness. I was under a lot of pressure, both self-imposed and real, when I took that fall. Schubiner says that's a classic situation. The fall triggers the old pain memories in the brain that are still programmed in there from previous injuries like my broken heel (1989/90) and herniated disk (2001). Still a lot to learn obviously and Schubiner is filling in some of the blanks! Good stuff.

10. veronica73

I think I know why my mind chose to generate headaches as opposed to back pain or something else...my father was like Chuck Norris to me, did everything perfectly, hardly ever got sick, never took naps, etc....and he had horrible headaches that started after an accident (but were probably TMS). It was the only time he would let himself stop. I think at some level headaches seemed more legit to me than other types of pain because of this.

11. BruceMC

Headaches were allowed, but pain in the butt, pain in the lower back were signs of faking it? Your own psychosomatic illnesses are "real", but other people's symptoms are "all in their head"? That's like my father: he wasn't deaf, other people just didn't speak clearly enough!

12. veronica73

Ha!

It wasn't that my dad said headaches were more real or that he didn't get other pains, but because his headaches were bad, they really stood out in my mind.

And of course I know that everyone's pain is real, I meant I think my unconscious mind grabbed onto the pain that seemed most real to me growing up.

13. sewmuch

sewmuch Member

Hi Linnea,

I did Dr. Schubiner's book and loved it! I have posted many times in this forum about it. It was informative, constructive, positive, gentle, supportive and really helped me to move forward physically and mentally. I read Sarno's book and could not figure out what was "next" and how to take it to the next step, and Dr. Schubiner's book was it. I hesitated at first about spending the money thinking another "charge down the drain for something that may not work" after spending so much time and money on other "treatments". But it was the best money I have spent on my health in 4 years. Did not know about the online or phone support program.

The book gave me several tools and helped me along the path of discovery and healing. I still refer to it from time to time.

spiralgirl1 likes this.
  14. Steve

Steve New Member

I agree with positive posts, Dr. Schubiner's book one of the best $25 I ever spent. His treatment program is very detailed and extremely helpful, and his explanations of the causes/theory as good or better than Dr. Sarno's. I echo MorComm, I would save my $100 until I was done with the book and wanted more. Also, for me, if I was working the 30 day wiki program, I would finish that first so as not to get overwhelmed.

15. Linnea

Linnea Peer Supporter

I so appreciate all your answers, seems like Schubiner really is the next step, after finishing what I´m doing now. Good to hear he has more exercises, which I can really miss in Sarnos books. When I read Sarnos books I can sometimes despair, since it feels like he´s emphisizing the need of properly trained TMS psychologists if you´re in need of therapy (and I feel like I am) and you can´t find those kinds of psychologists were I live.

Currently I´m seeing a counsellor who´s more supportive than analytic. Though I really like her, I feel like I´m on my own in finding my way out of this pain cycle and it feels a bit scary.. I think my patterns in thinking and obsessing about my pain are deeply rooted and need an outside view to be properly treated. Well well, in some way or another I´m going to get well, that´s for sure!

16. spiralgirl1

spiralgirl1 Peer Supporter

Thanks all... reading the positive comments about the book has inspired me to get working with it!

17. honeybear424

Linnea ~ I can SO relate to this. I actually stopped seeing my therapist about 6 months ago for the same very reason you speak. It's almost like we are more friends than a therapist/patient relationship. She is supportive and all, but I am going to stick with the books and the SP where I can do some real work. After I finish The Divided Mind and the Structured Program, I will probably get the Schubiner book.

18. Linnea

Linnea Peer Supporter

Honeybear, it is so comforting in some way to know that you´re not alone in your thoughts and feelings, even though I wish that we wouldn´t have to deal with this. I´m going for the same approach as you, and there must have been so many other sufferers who were able to do this journey on their own, without help from TMS trained therapists and doctors, and so are we! Let´s dig deep and see what we find...

19. honeybear424

I wish we didn't have to deal with this either, but for some reason, we are. Maybe it is only to be able to help others down the road. Who knows...

Personally, I am tired and worn out from running all over the place, to this appointment and then to the next, over the past 18 years since my headaches started. I have spent THOUSANDS of dollars trying to get well. Somehow, though, I always knew that going within was the only answer. I have spent nearly 22 years (diagnosed with GAD in '90) trying to find someone else who could fix me. It is refreshing to know that I can simply go to a quiet place in my very own home and work towards healing myself. I don't have to get in my car and drive anywhere...nor do I have to keep shelling out money! lol

Don't know if it is just a coincidence or not, but I started journaling three days ago and it feels like my pain is less!!! I do my morning meditation, then I read a little from The MindBody Prescription, and then write a bit.

20. Linnea

Linnea Peer Supporter

I´m 100% convinced that the answer is to be find within ourselves, and I agree, it´s a refreshing insight! I´ve been trying a lot of things as well during my "pain years" and the most tiring I find, is to find something that gives you relief and than after a couple of weeks the effect wears off. In other words, placebo.. The pain when I realize that "ok, this too didn´t work, what´s left now?" has probably been worse than the physical pain for me, sending me down into the darkest hole once again.

But this time it´s different, the mindbody way I believe is the only way to go, the fear is only in if I´m going to make it, and if I do, not fearing that it´s just temporarly!

So glad to hear that you´re experiencing some pain relief, just believe in it now, if you can decrease your pain some, why wouldn´t you be able to decrease it some more? I read about a runner who wanted to break a world record that had been for so many years. He said to himself: If i can run this certain distance in this certain time, than I must be able to run the same distance just 1 second faster, a second is nothing, of course I can do that! So he did. And then he told himself the same thing, that he probably would be able to break his new record with just one second, and if so, 2 seconds faster had to be possible and so on. In that way he broke the old world record and it shows how tiny, tiny subtargets can lead to huge results. Well, just a little story I picked up, but I think about it now and than in my struggle towards a painfree life. If I can walk 500 meter, than I would be able to walk 600 meter...